NoGasTx

First Name
Mashanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck waitlist
Country flag
I too am questioning the lack of clarity in some of the posts. "Ordered December 12th", What year? I know mine was specifically Tri-Motor, Dec 12th, 2019, RN11310XXXX

I'm pretty sure 2019 pre order's will see the first general consumer Dual or Beast production deliveries, contrary to trolls, and I have no expectations of deliveries until after 2nd quarter 2024.
1131955xx tri motor 12/28/2019 no invitation to order mine yet
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
So, a summary, AFAIK, about VIN assignment.
And it's been this way since the Model 3 came out.

VIN assignment isn't done until the last moment, often after the vehicles have been loaded on the transport (this may vary and can be before being loaded in some situations).
The delivery centers nor stores can't find your VIN until it has been assigned.
The delivery center, when notified that a shipment of vehicles is headed their way, will then assign the VINs. This is when they will start to appear and you start to get texts from the delivery center.

It tends to be important to understand Why it occurs this way. And that's because not all customers are ready to pickup their vehicles when shipped. Yes, I know, it sounds stupid. But I remember a number of people who were out of the country for a few weeks that missed their delivery window.
And so it a delivery is not able to be made, the delivery center just picks the next order on the list. And since the VIN list only gets to maybe 2 weeks old, it gets the next person who is ready.
If they had already assigned March delivery dates, then the next person would be in April, and that's not a smart idea, is it?

For my early delivery Model 3. I got a call on Friday at lunch that it would be ready on Sunday (and then it changed to Saturday). While a little aggressive, you can expect timeframes like that. They aren't going to be letting those things sit on the lots for long time. There are so many people wanting to get theirs, they don't need to.

Moral of the story:
VINs will be last second
MAKE SURE that you have everything ready for pickup well before your anticipated date. Many people forget that Insurance is required to get the car. So know the number that you must call and your policy number as well.

Unless you are trading in or financing through Tesla, you will need a check to be able to pay. And that may mean last minute getting one cut from your loan official.

Just be ready.

CactusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, and Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
So, a summary, AFAIK, about VIN assignment.
And it's been this way since the Model 3 came out.

VIN assignment isn't done until the last moment, often after the vehicles have been loaded on the transport (this may vary and can be before being loaded in some situations).
The delivery centers nor stores can't find your VIN until it has been assigned.
The delivery center, when notified that a shipment of vehicles is headed their way, will then assign the VINs. This is when they will start to appear and you start to get texts from the delivery center.

It tends to be important to understand Why it occurs this way. And that's because not all customers are ready to pickup their vehicles when shipped. Yes, I know, it sounds stupid. But I remember a number of people who were out of the country for a few weeks that missed their delivery window.
And so it a delivery is not able to be made, the delivery center just picks the next order on the list. And since the VIN list only gets to maybe 2 weeks old, it gets the next person who is ready.
If they had already assigned March delivery dates, then the next person would be in April, and that's not a smart idea, is it?

For my early delivery Model 3. I got a call on Friday at lunch that it would be ready on Sunday (and then it changed to Saturday). While a little aggressive, you can expect timeframes like that. They aren't going to be letting those things sit on the lots for long time. There are so many people wanting to get theirs, they don't need to.

Moral of the story:
VINs will be last second
MAKE SURE that you have everything ready for pickup well before your anticipated date. Many people forget that Insurance is required to get the car. So know the number that you must call and your policy number as well.

Unless you are trading in or financing through Tesla, you will need a check to be able to pay. And that may mean last minute getting one cut from your loan official.

Just be ready.
Yup, that's about how it went for my early delivery, 2018 Model 3 Performance. Best advice, be ready! Get pre approved if financing. You need to pay in full or have final cashiers check in hand at delivery.

Bizarrkley

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Foundation AWD, Model S P85
Country flag
My sales advisor (??) just responded to my text request asking for a build date with the following: "
The Cybertruck is a very new release and are rolling out slowly. Once an estimate is able to be provided, you will see this reflected on the Tesla App. We appreciate your excitement for this revolutionary truck and look forward to getting you in it as soon as we can.

At this time there are no estimated delivery timings to provide"

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
My sales advisor (??) just responded to my text request asking for a build date with the following: "
The Cybertruck is a very new release and are rolling out slowly. Once an estimate is able to be provided, you will see this reflected on the Tesla App. We appreciate your excitement for this revolutionary truck and look forward to getting you in it as soon as we can.

At this time there are no estimated delivery timings to provide"
Yep, that's what you are going to get. Your VIN won't get assigned until the transport is on it's way to the store.
If you are out of town for a week, what was assigned to you will probably be given to someone else, who is in town and is ready for immediate delivery.

For these Foundation vehicles, don't be surprised if you get a text indicating that you will need to pick you truck up the day after tomorrow. And that will be the next thing that you hear from Tesla.

For my early production Model 3. I got a call on Friday before Memorial Day during lunch. That was the first that I had heard since I made the order. I was told to be ready to get the car on Sunday, but as we talked, they found a lot for me on Saturday.

From first contact to vehicle in 24 hours.

I suspect that you will be seeing the same with the Cybertruck!
Sponsored