JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
They literally created Hummer-specific dealerships which traded in fancy ego cars, too. Fancy ones, trying to be a prestige brand.

It was so satisfying when they went out of business. The one in Santa Clara sat empty for awhile and is now a grungy used guitar store that I rather like. ^-^

-Crissa
Just goes to show that this particular one side is only interested in destruction and not creation, and that everyone else needs to be at least as miserable as themselves.

So sad. :cry:
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Do you know how much difference the ride height makes to the Hummer EV consumption?

Lower is not always better, you can make the aero work off the ground too, airplanes also fly off the ground.

Bring some data to the dissing at least.
I am pretty sure Iā€™m the only person who brought any data without tossing around opinions

Did you bother to watch the video?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I am pretty sure Iā€™m the only person who brought any data without tossing around opinions

Did you bother to watch the video?
Sorry, I tried but gave up with the error.

Let's say you tried to bring data but their was an error in transmission? šŸ˜‹

I think it was the Engineering Explained guy that went through the Hummer EV teardown models they had on display at a GM release. In there the suspension setup actually looked pretty good, very tough looking dimension wise, plenty of articulation too. I 'd say the ride height could be updated with a OTA update to make the hwy mode lower if it helps.

Really the only limiting factor is the bump stops, the wheel well clearances when turning (has 4WS) and the CV joint angles.

But from what I can tell from the design, just by looking at it, there is not much in ground effect aero optimisation, that means it doesn't rely much on the ride height to improve range. In fact top to bottom heights could be less than 5% between them I think, those wheels are the big hit. The give away are the front and rear bumper design and skirt. It's not trying to get the air around the sides or over it, under seems just as viable a flow path.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So instead of replying as muchā€¦ you ramble about a bunch of other stuff.

Got it.
I'm not sure what you mean?

I just explained further why I thought the Hummer ride height was not as important as it seemed. At least to you anyway.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm not sure what you mean?

I just explained further why I thought the Hummer ride height was not as important as it seemed. At least to you anyway.

Also You:
Bring some data to the dissing at least.

:rolleyes:

I posted a video to show what factory ride height was versus the above images and I get this sort of nonsense?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Also You:

:rolleyes:

I posted a video to show what factory ride height was versus the above images and I get this sort of nonsense?
I apologised that I couldn't see your video? As such I couldn't tell exactly what you were trying to say and thought you were piling on the Hummer EV. Please repost a working video, or frame grabs, and let me know how you think the ride height is a problem or not.
Thx.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Dang this got personnal. It really doesn't need to be. JBee, my issue of ride height is not about energy consumption. I don't like ICE vehicles that are lifted, and that has nothing to do with fuel consumption. It has to do with safety. The major issue is the bumpers don't match up with other vehicles on the road. Also at night lifted vehicles headlights are WAY too high compared to most other vehicles. Then there's the fact that you put all that weight up high, and you have a roll over risk. And besides that the vehicle handling characteristics are just awful. Lowering a EV Hummer will probably have a minimal if any effect on consumption. But it would make it a lot safer.

The original Hummers were a pretty decent offroad vehicle, and I would think this new EV Hummer would work well and is designed with a lot of offroad bias in the design. But, most Americans who purchase one, will never drive theirs offroad. And that's what gets people up in arms, and angry about the wastefulness of Hummers.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Dang this got personnal. It really doesn't need to be. JBee, my issue of ride height is not about energy consumption. I don't like ICE vehicles that are lifted, and that has nothing to do with fuel consumption. It has to do with safety. The major issue is the bumpers don't match up with other vehicles on the road. Also at night lifted vehicles headlights are WAY too high compared to most other vehicles. Then there's the fact that you put all that weight up high, and you have a roll over risk. And besides that the vehicle handling characteristics are just awful. Lowering a EV Hummer will probably have a minimal if any effect on consumption. But it would make it a lot safer.

The original Hummers were a pretty decent offroad vehicle, and I would think this new EV Hummer would work well and is designed with a lot of offroad bias in the design. But, most Americans who purchase one, will never drive theirs offroad. And that's what gets people up in arms, and angry about the wastefulness of Hummers.
The perceived height has nothing to do with where the mass is located.

The center of gravity will be lower on the Hummer Ev than any other ICE truck or large SUV because of the motor and battery mass placement in the floor pan. Like a Tesla it will be heavier than a ICE but much harder to roll because of where the mass is.

Braking would depend on how good the anti squat of the suspension is (its active so should be decent), but even there the low center of gravity would help heaps. Tyres are a variable on all vehicles and would perform according to what you put on. There's also a limit to how low you can make the suspension go, typically having a negative squat on the suspension makes handling worse. But you also need to have wheel articulation for good ground contact. Compromises have to be made.

As for bumper height, we live in a country of bull bars/roo bars, and as such there will always be some lower vehicle (motorbike?) no matter where you drive. You would have to regulate the whole vehicle industry and roads to make that work and ban semi's from car roads, because no matter how high a semi is or not, its going through you no matter what you drive.

BTW the CT bumper on low suspension is much higher than a sedan too.

As for personal, more like political. The bias leaking through doesn't change history, physics or engineering. I would like to talk trucks and compare them without that from time to time.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I drove HUMVEE's in the Army. I thought they sucked and my opinion has not changed.
They were designed by a crew of idiots after conferring with a focus group of morons.
None of the above every had any experience designing military vehicles.
They were slow, big, heavy, underpowered, and when the extra armor was added they became almost useless. Barely better than walking.
Driving the Command version through the narrow roads of Korea was a real exercise in frustration.
They were also notoriously hard to work on and get parts for through the logistic chain.
I've also ridden in the civilian versions (H1's, not the GM version) and they sucked like a Hoover too.
The electric HUMMER will end up on the ash heap of misbegotten vehicle history where it belongs.
Sponsored