Unless a new class of buyer joins, there will not be many takers at $85k+ for a pickup

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
The big problem with Jeep Wranglers is you need to tow them not only on pavement but on moderately rough dirt roads. So you got to through in the cost of the tow vehicle and trailer to get it anywhere it was meant to be driven. I got stuck with a New Rubicon Edition as a rental last June when the airport only had it ready to go. If it wasn't going to be an hour wait for the next vehicle I would never have accepted it. Absolutely horrible up I-80 from SLC to Wyoming. I drove a few hundred miles in the Wyoming Range on dirt roads. Man did that make me miss my Subaru. Literally had to drive at 60% normal speed in that Vehicle that only excels off any road. Pure garbage everywhere else.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Your ability to save money is a privilege.

I spent most of my 20s couch surfing and making less money than rent or my medical bills would cost. I chose busses when I was poor, but that limited where I could live, what jobs I could take. No amount of saving would get me a house, credit, or retirement.

My spouse bought our first new car with a loan because she suddenly needed to commute the two hours (50 mile) to Stanford. (She had been laid off after 9/11 in the telco crash and unemployed for three months.) That no-frills base manual Sentra cost us (with credit) as much in 2002 as our new 2013 Mazda with every single option available. That first down payment was the recycling check we got from my five-years-disabled Tercel.

We didn't get full health insurance until late 2005.

And in 2010, we bought a distressed property - damaged entryway, had been foreclosed upon and bought cash but the new owner suffered a medical emergency and couldn't climb the stairs. We lots bids on several other homes to cash buyers - and then only got this one with an FHA tiny deposit loan using the last of the money from my spouse's great grandmother's farm and selling my online virtual server.

Always by the skin of our teeth, always in debt. Far more of my friends are in worse shape; since Boomers each generation is on median, more poor at any specific age.

But yes, you do get to be rich because you saved. But you were able to save because you were lucky. ^-^

🤷‍♀️

-Crissa
I was fortunate that I had good health and could work physically demanding jobs with long hours. I actually enjoyed it. I've had numerous jobs where it was not unusual to put in over 100 hours per week (whether I was being paid by the hour or not). When fishing, no hours were kept but there were many consecutive 20-21 hour days. I was still making far less annually than most professionals but it's pretty hard to spend money when you are in the field and have cheap or free food and shelter for long periods of time. Professionals are buying BMW's, furniture, expensive clothes and vacations, etc. Many of them are in debt.

It wasn't unusual for young fisherman to finish a season and buy a brand new 4x4 truck. I never really understood that. Yes, I would have liked a new truck, no, I wasn't tempted (but Cybertruck might have changed that, ha-ha!) Then I would get a winter job. If there was time in between, I would pick up odd jobs. I might even take a vacation but it would be more of an adventure vacation, mostly camping with occasional cheap rooms to get cleaned up. In Mexico I would get a room almost every night because it was only $5-$9 for two or three friends to split. I had some friends that were more frugal than I was. We probably spent as much money on beer as anything else. If I had to do it again, I would do it much the same way, as long as I had good health.

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was fortunate that I had good health and could work physically demanding jobs with long hours. I actually enjoyed it. I've had numerous jobs where it was not unusual to put in over 100 hours per week (whether I was being paid by the hour or not). When fishing, no hours were kept but there were many consecutive 20-21 hour days. I was still making far less annually than most professionals but it's pretty hard to spend money when you are in the field and have cheap or free food and shelter for long periods of time. Professionals are buying BMW's, furniture, expensive clothes and vacations, etc. Many of them are in debt.

It wasn't unusual for young fisherman to finish a season and buy a brand new 4x4 truck. I never really understood that. Yes, I would have liked a new truck, no, I wasn't tempted (but Cybertruck might have changed that, ha-ha!) Then I would get a winter job. If there was time in between, I would pick up odd jobs. I might even take a vacation but it would be more of an adventure vacation, mostly camping with occasional cheap rooms to get cleaned up. In Mexico I would get a room almost every night because it was only $5-$9 for two or three friends to split. I had some friends that were more frugal than I was. We probably spent as much money on beer as anything else. If I had to do it again, I would do it much the same way, as long as I had good health.
I have had those long hours and tough job. I kind of wish i had been the professional instead. Not to go into debt but because i know some of those jobs can be and are detrimental to long term health. Abusing one's body and mind day in and day out for financial gain could be considered hard work ethic and discipline but it can also seem foolish later in life if you feel like you traded some of your good health for it or too much of your free time was robbed. I would not go the same route if i had to do it over again.

In older age i realize we humans are not machines. We need and are designed for a balanced life. Even the 40 hour work week is mans own invention. Im just glad i got out of the rat race and wasn't stuck in it to the bitter end and can see the world for what it is in my remaining years.

As always, (YMMV) your mileage may vary

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Several of my teachers in high school did their summer season on boats in Alaska.

The perks of living in a remote town in Washington.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have had those long hours and tough job. I kind of wish i had been the professional instead. Not to go into debt but because i know some of those jobs can be and are detrimental to long term health. Abusing one's body and mind day in and day out for financial gain could be considered hard work ethic and discipline but it can also seem foolish later in life if you feel like you traded some of your good health for it or too much of your free time was robbed. I would not go the same route if i had to do it over again.

In older age i realize we humans are not machines. We need and are designed for a balanced life. Even the 40 hour work week is mans own invention. Im just glad i got out of the rat race and wasn't stuck in it to the bitter end and can see the world for what it is in my remaining years.

As always, (YMMV) your mileage may vary
Ha, no! Hauling gear in clean Alaskan air all day long, eating freshly caught seafood every day, drinking Alaskan spring water, that made me stronger and healthier. It's the sedentary lifestyle and money worries that brings about poor health! I retired by 37 and was fit and strong. Being in the fresh air all day long, rain or shine with a simple job to do is good for the mind too! No stress of commuting, no bad air being cooped up in polluted air indoors, etc. If I had been doing a 9-5 grind, I doubt I would have had the energy to invest so profitably.

When I retired, I continued to lead a very active lifestyle hiking in the mountains, camping, skiing all winter long, mountain biking, sailing, etc. As I age I do less but it's always better to do an appropriate amount for your level of fitness than it is to be mostly sedentary. The human body evolved over millions of years to provide for itself in a time before we had machines to do the labor for us. Movement is good.

My free time was not robbed, my days were filled with the scenic beauty of Alaska, whales, bears, eagles, dolphins all around. My main winter job at a ski area wasn't bad either, cooking, shovelling snow, unloading trucks and all the free untracked powder I could handle. Two or three hours most evenings drinking beer with fellow employees reliving our best ski runs and eating a home cooked dinner. Don't limit yourself with nonsense about not being able to handle some hard work, just have fun doing it! Life is what you make of it, grab it by the horns and live it!

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Nearly half of my "Baby Boomer" generation has no money or appreciable plan for retirement. Many others have simple plans based upon Social Security but with fewer people contributing, that bucket will be empty soon.

Not a lot of good news these days but Tesla is one company that seems to have a plan and I feel good about supporting their efforts. I think the CT prices will be reasonable because I believe Musk wants them to be just that. Not a fact but a reasonable guess ...

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Several of my teachers in high school did their summer season on boats in Alaska.

The perks of living in a remote town in Washington.

-Crissa
When I graduated from High School, I understood I could live wherever I wanted as long as there was work available.

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ha, no! Hauling gear in clean Alaskan air all day long, eating freshly caught seafood every day, drinking Alaskan spring water, that made me stronger and healthier. It's the sedentary lifestyle and money worries that brings about poor health! I retired by 37 and was fit and strong. Being in the fresh air all day long, rain or shine with a simple job to do is good for the mind too! No stress of commuting, no bad air being cooped up in polluted air indoors, etc. If I had been doing a 9-5 grind, I doubt I would have had the energy to invest so profitably.

When I retired, I continued to lead a very active lifestyle hiking in the mountains, camping, skiing all winter long, mountain biking, sailing, etc. As I age I do less but it's always better to do an appropriate amount for your level of fitness than it is to be mostly sedentary. The human body evolved over millions of years to provide for itself in a time before we had machines to do the labor for us. Movement is good.

My free time was not robbed, my days were filled with the scenic beauty of Alaska, whales, bears, eagles, dolphins all around. My main winter job at a ski area wasn't bad either, cooking, shovelling snow, unloading trucks and all the free untracked powder I could handle. Two or three hours most evenings drinking beer with fellow employees reliving our best ski runs and eating a home cooked dinner. Don't limit yourself with nonsense about not being able to handle some hard work, just have fun doing it! Life is what you make of it, grab it by the horns and live it!
Sounds like you had quiet the job. It's why i said some (not all) jobs can have detrimental effects. What you describe sounds more like a vacation compared to what i did. My comments were mostly about my own journey.

When i read physically demanding and long hours, it reminded me of the decade i spent working at an industrial plant.

12-14 hour shifts working around dangerous machinery and chemicals and in extreme temperatures. Hard on the knees and lower back. I made a ton of money which made my early retirement possible but it also robbed me of 10 years of the prime of my life. I could buy anything i wanted for me or my family, but i couldn't spend much time with them. I wouldn't ever go the route again.

An active lifestyle and good health doesn't have to come from what you do for a living. Iv had desk jobs too. You just have to make time for activities. But i get what you're saying.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When I graduated from High School, I understood I could live wherever I wanted as long as there was work available.
That's why none of us live there anymore. Not that we wouldn't want to live there, but because the latter.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like you had quiet the job. It's why i said some (not all) jobs can have detrimental effects. What you describe sounds more like a vacation compared to what i did. My comments were mostly about my own journey.

When i read physically demanding and long hours, it reminded me of the decade i spent working at an industrial plant.

12-14 hour shifts working around dangerous machinery and chemicals and in extreme temperatures. Hard on the knees and lower back. I made a ton of money which made my early retirement possible but it also robbed me of 10 years of the prime of my life. I could buy anything i wanted for me or my family, but i couldn't spend much time with them. I wouldn't ever go the route again.

An active lifestyle and good health doesn't have to come from what you do for a living. Iv had desk jobs too. You just have to make time for activities. But i get what you're saying.
True, your health is more important than anything. I would have run, not walked, from a job that exposed me to toxic chemicals day in/day out. That's what robots will be for!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
True, your health is more important than anything. I would have run, not walked, from a job that exposed me to toxic chemicals day in/day out. That's what robots will be for!
Unless AGI Tesla conquers, not likely, cars may be too toxic to humans at any speed. AP is digging Tesla a hole it may not be able to backfill with AI. While FSD promises to eliminate human input, external error and random accident there is coming into focus subsets of externalities for which intelligence human, artificial or General can not account.
Meaning robo is constrained in just exactly what it can do in context like reducing human labor to improve safety and health. Optimus is a capitalist Willy Wonka Dream Factory but planes will fall out of the sky, cars will crash into things, and human do the strangest things.
Tesla could pivot into subsets and Willy Wonka Worlds.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless AGI Tesla conquers, not likely, cars may be too toxic to humans at any speed. AP is digging Tesla a hole it may not be able to backfill with AI. While FSD promises to eliminate human input, external error and random accident there is coming into focus subsets of externalities for which intelligence human, artificial or General can not account.
Meaning robo is constrained in just exactly what it can do in context like reducing human labor to improve safety and health. Optimus is a capitalist Willy Wonka Dream Factory but planes will fall out of the sky, cars will crash into things, and human do the strangest things.
Tesla could pivot into subsets and Willy Wonka Worlds.
AGI will be conquered, and quicker than most people think, even if it takes 5 more years. I think it will be sooner.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have a guru in the family who is a total skeptic (working on Facebooks new project)

I am looking for this Xmas get together.. see if he has changed his tune.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Your numbers are a little off, being based upon net worth instead of the more common income which is bandied about. Most of those millionaires are so because they own a house they occupy and would have to replace.

Another way to look at it is those millionaires would be shifting their illiquid capital by 5-10% to get a $100k truck. That truck would cost 2/3rds of my house!

-Crissa
Why do you still live in a teepee? :ROFLMAO:

We do sub $100k off-grid passive microhomes you can put nearly anywhere.

I saw in the news last week In Sydney there are only 10 suburbs left where house prices are under $1 million. American tax payer funds at work, via China and Aussie mining.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Most self-made I know have a culture of sacrificing, creating and building. Not spending.
They have a higher weekly spend, but wasting is something they will only do in retirement.
Sponsored