Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius V5, 1948 Bus, Mercedes SL500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When driving I drink coffee wth one hand, and change radio stations with one hand, and also hold the wheel with two hands, but one way I am most comfortable is when I can hold the wheel in the center bottom of the wheel (photos of my Toyota Prius V5 steering wheel are included to further explain).

I drive an older Mercedes SL500, I would get a newer one but Mercedes changed their steering wheel designs, as did many other auto manufacturers, and the " T " shape is what has been a popular steering wheel design for many years now.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Steering Wheel Dimensions E44A48A9-90D7-41CF-9D0D-023F3ABDC24D
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Steering Wheel Dimensions 798C4417-76BF-4AA8-A83D-55016C2759D6

I am hoping the Cybertruck has a large enough area for me to hold the wheel with one hand centered, when I am using my other hand to do other activities.

Also, I am slightly disabled with one of my hands, and having a full grip on the wheel with one hand aids my driving technique.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
When driving I drink coffee wth one hand, and change radio stations with one hand, and also hold the wheel with two hands, but one way I am most comfortable is when I can hold the wheel in the center bottom of the wheel (photos of my Toyota Prius V5 steering wheel are included to further explain).

I drive an older Mercedes SL500, I would get a newer one but Mercedes changed their steering wheel designs, as did many other auto manufacturers, and the " T " shape is what has been a popular steering wheel design for many years now.
E44A48A9-90D7-41CF-9D0D-023F3ABDC24D.jpeg
798C4417-76BF-4AA8-A83D-55016C2759D6.jpeg

I am hoping the Cybertruck has a large enough area for me to hold the wheel with one hand centered, when I am using my other hand to do other activities.

Also, I am slightly disabled with one of my hands, and having a full grip on the wheel with one hand aids my driving technique.
I'm with you in hoping the CT has a more traditional steering wheel. Though I liked the one in the prototype, I could see where one handed driving would be a pain and I'm betting most of us spend some time driving with one hand either at the top or bottom of the wheel.

Since it's fly-by-wire, I wonder if it would be possible to keep the current design but make it where you could adjust where center is. I mean, you'd hit "change steering wheel position" and be able to rotate the wheel 90 degrees to make it where you could drive like your picture shows. Hmm...

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

E44A48A9-90D7-41CF-9D0D-023F3ABDC24D.jpeg
798C4417-76BF-4AA8-A83D-55016C2759D6.jpeg

Interesting thought! I might add that Tesla has a pretty good voice command system. I imagine it will only get better with the cyber truck. That should solve a huge chunk of your issue right there. Otherwise i cant think of many vehicles that have ever actually gone to production with the type of steering wheel shown on the prototype. I would look to other Tesla models for what to expect the design to look like, just with a little more "cyber" :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Stinkd

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting thought! I might add that Tesla has a pretty good voice command system. I imagine it will only get better with the cyber truck. That should solve a huge chunk of your issue right there. Otherwise i cant think of many vehicles that have ever actually gone to production with the type of steering wheel shown on the prototype. I would look to other Tesla models for what to expect the design to look like, just with a little more "cyber" :ROFLMAO:
thanks for the thought. The original steering wheel design they show looks very grippable for my needs, as I saw in the 2021 Tesla Cybertruck Interior Youtube video, it would be cool if they refrain from drastic changes of it, or change it a little to make the center bottom of the wheel a vertically wider design. excited to see the finished product!

Nomogas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Country flag
I would like the steering wheel feels "beefier" if that is correct wording, at least 38mm in diameter. Not to light when turning and better road feel like the Model3. I hope there is no bump steer like my full size SUV that has original tires and suspension.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Steering Wheel Dimensions FfCblW8XoAUt4TC

OP
OP
Stinkd

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yea, I assume an aftermarket attachment probably exists, if that is what's necessary that will suffice.

MrMike777

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hanging on to the bottom of the wheel may be problematic for autopilot and FSD to sense the drivers hand on the wheel. I do like the flat bottom of Toyota wheels but I’m not sure Tesla will allow it.

Skidmarks68

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Radtech
Country flag
I don’t think the shape of the wheel concerns me as much as the functionality of it. I find myself always fighting with my tilt and telescope to achieve the most comfortable driving position.

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
in the future of FSD, the steering wheel may begin to feel more and more... in the way.
Of course, my reptilian brain say - give me my tried and true traditional stuck-in-the-mud steering-wheel.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Steering wheel functionality hasn't changed and see that fundamentally the steering wheel is First Principles in design, engineering and development. CT prototypes played on the idea that it could be re-engineered. Historically, simply adding a swivel knob to steering wheels were outlawed by which to steer one-handed. SO I think drive-by-wire on the other side of the wheel is where any new engineering will take place.

Innovation awaits traction control, skid-steer, hill descent, locker and asleep-at-the-wheel integration currently in vogue as electrical takes over the automotive mechanical world once known as rigs. It will be interesting to see exactly how Tesla will actualize innovation on the wheel or drive-by-wire.

A mechanical gearhead who knows how to drive "ice", 4x4 and straight axel driven vehicles, I have learned from VW's direct shift gearbox (DSG) that automation can be better, faster and safer than any human. I look forward to how Tesla matches the genius, innovation and execution that no less than Pesce of Porsche fame designed into the DSG gearbox. Its simply a mechanical/electrical tour de force pinnacle achievement that simply works. I can't wait to enter the Cybertruck version of future transport.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see steering wheels that telescope beyond comfortable distance in order to be safer during an accident and more comfortable when in FSD!

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
What about the base wheel as it is now, but then have top and bottom sections that you could add/interchange with other snap and lock modules to make it just the way you want it?

SD2012

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 AWD
Country flag
I have M3AWD and I'm a day 2 res holder for a CT. I love my car & I'm sure I will love my truck, but for the life of me I don't get Tesla trying to literally re-invent the wheel.

I'm a professional corporate pilot, been flying 25 years with yokes of all kinds. They work great - IF you don't have to turn them more than 90 degrees off center. Having one whirl around 2 to 2.5 turns lock to lock is awkward and makes little sense. Speed variable wheel angle (like the tiller on a jet) is what's needed if you insist on yoking a vehicle & with drive by wire, thats certainly possible.

I know FSD (whenever it reliably arrives) could mean little need for a wheel as such, but this is a truck - gonna FSD off-road? Don't think so. Gonna FSD to back up & fill the bed with whatever? Not likely.

A wheel gives the best control, whether hands are 10 & 2, one on top (which is how i drive) or one on the bottom. A yoke with no variable speed ratio just doesn't make much sense & isn't as functional. If Tesla insists on this, my hope is after-market wheels will save the day.

And don't even get me started on the need for a FLIR/HUD option for low vis in that bad boy with that "just made for it" flat windscreen ...