All Parking Lots with more than 8 spots Should Have Solar Canopies and EV Chargers

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's not just the split between wholesale and retail price. Here, if you hook up on that basis, where you are selling your output back to the grid, you're UNABLE TO USE your solar system when their grid is down. In my view, that makes it totally useless. It's NOT a backup power source.

And if one did go thru all the gyrations to sell home solar power and buy back grid power, and the result turned out to be that you were paying about the same as if just buying grid power, WTF is going on? Why would anyone do that?
My friends install was years before solar plus battery was common or remotely affordable. I think he paid $25-30k for his setup and if he’d gone with a battery setup it would have been $80k or more. Just wasn’t feasible. I think his system is paid for or will be soon.

Solar plus battery is definitely better. Another friend lives in Santa Rosa and they bought a Tesla solar setup specifically because their power gets shut off a lot in the fall due to fire danger.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
2A at 120v is pretty typical draw for modern energy-efficient fridges and freezers, so wrong there. 2a * 120V * 24....
That's not how consumption works. The refrigerator doesn't run its compressor the entire time. At least, it shouldn't!

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm perfectly happy being in the fourth largest economy in the world by GDP and by GDP per capita, the fourth state (instead of the 48th).

We got our problems, but being willing to pay our bills ain't one of them.

😅

-Crissa

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I'm perfectly happy being in the fourth largest economy in the world by GDP and by GDP per capita, the fourth state (instead of the 48th).

We got our problems, but being willing to pay our bills ain't one of them.

😅

-Crissa
Yup

California is U.S. state with highest GDP per capita. Significantly ahead of second place Texas.

California government/taxpayers ( subsidies on purchases of EVs, stricter emission standards, mandates that some vehicles with no tailpipe vehicle be available for sale, etc), and California buyers supported Tesla in the early days way more than Texas ever would have. Without the early support from Californians, Tesla probably would never have reached profitability.

----------------------------

List of U.S. states and territories by GDP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_GDP

SAGDP1 State annual gross domestic product (GDP) summary Current-dollar Gross Domestic Product (GDP) (Millions of current dollars)
By U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis
https://apps.bea.gov/itable/index.h...asure=Levels&Rank=1&Drill=1&nRange=5&AppId=70

List of U.S. states and territories by population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...by_population#Summary_of_population_by_region

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
California isn't first by capita, because a fair part of our economy (by jobs) is agriculture, which doesn't pay well. Still pays better here than anywhere else, of course.

We're first in total GDP.

-Crissa

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
California isn't first by capita, because a fair part of our economy (by jobs) is agriculture, which doesn't pay well. Still pays better here than anywhere else, of course.

We're first in total GDP.

-Crissa
Oops. You are right. I did the sort wrong. Sorry.

California is in top 5 by state (not counting Washington DC because it mostly government jobs).

All the states in the top 5 except North Dakota follow the stricter California emission standards (called CARB states). These same states also require legacy auto OEMs to make EVs available. Texas & Florida do not require legacy auto OEMs to make EVs available.

Secondly after a proper sort, California GDP per capita is still significantly ahead of Texas.

Neither Texas or Florida are are even in the top 14 of GDP per capita.

Texas & Florida are not CARB states regarding stricter emission policies.

Texas does not even give Texas residents a full bypass on car dealer laws when residents want to buy a Tesla!

United States vehicle emission standards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_vehicle_emission_standards

New vehicle emission standards
Due to its preexisting standards and particularly severe motor vehicle air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards.

The following states that have adopted the stricter standards are:
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Nevada
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
Vermont
Washington

Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board. The EPA adopted the Californian fuel economy and green house gas standard as a national standard by the 2016 model year[9] and is collaborating with Californian regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025.[10]

The Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) program, which is a technology-forcing component ZEV has been a major contributor to the successful commercialization of hybrid-electric vehicles and ultra-low-emission technologies.

To date, 17 states have adopted the ZEV Program

The ZEV program requires increasing sales of ZEVs over the next decade.

Zero-Emission Vehicle Program
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/zero-emission-vehicle-program/about

Manufacturers Subject to the ZEV Requirements
BMW, Stellantis, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen must comply with the new requirements. Five smaller manufacturers (Jaguar Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru and Volvo) are also required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but may meet their obligation with plug-in hybrids. Other States Have Adopted the ZEV Regulation Other states have the ability to adopt California’s standards through Section 177 of the Clean Air Act, hence why they are often called the Section 177 states. See the latest states that have adopted the ZEV regulation.

Other States Have Adopted the ZEV Regulation
Other states have the ability to adopt California’s standards through Section 177 of the Clean Air Act, hence why they are often called the Section 177 states. See the latest states that have adopted the ZEV regulation.
To date, 17 states have adopted all or part of California’s low-emission and zero-emission vehicle regulations. Table current as of May 13, 2022.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2022-05/§177_states_05132022_NADA_sales_r2_ac.pdf

Proposed Advanced Clean Cars II Regulations: All New Passenger Vehicles Sold in California to be Zero Emissions by 2035
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/advanced-clean-cars-program/advanced-clean-cars-ii

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Oops. You are right. I did the sort wrong. Sorry.

California is in top 5 by state (not counting Washington DC because it mostly government jobs).

All the states in the top 5 except North Dakota follow the stricter California emission standards (called CARB states). These same states also require legacy auto OEMs to make EVs available. Texas & Florida do not require legacy auto OEMs to make EVs available.

Secondly after a proper sort, California GDP per capita is still significantly ahead of Texas.

Neither Texas or Florida are are even in the top 14 of GDP per capita.

Texas & Florida are not CARB states regarding stricter emission policies.

Texas does not even give Texas residents a full bypass on car dealer laws when residents want to buy a Tesla!

United States vehicle emission standards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_vehicle_emission_standards

New vehicle emission standards
Due to its preexisting standards and particularly severe motor vehicle air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards.

The following states that have adopted the stricter standards are:
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Nevada
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
Vermont
Washington

Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board. The EPA adopted the Californian fuel economy and green house gas standard as a national standard by the 2016 model year[9] and is collaborating with Californian regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025.[10]

The Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) program, which is a technology-forcing component ZEV has been a major contributor to the successful commercialization of hybrid-electric vehicles and ultra-low-emission technologies.

To date, 17 states have adopted the ZEV Program

The ZEV program requires increasing sales of ZEVs over the next decade.

Zero-Emission Vehicle Program
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/zero-emission-vehicle-program/about

Manufacturers Subject to the ZEV Requirements
BMW, Stellantis, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen must comply with the new requirements. Five smaller manufacturers (Jaguar Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru and Volvo) are also required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but may meet their obligation with plug-in hybrids. Other States Have Adopted the ZEV Regulation Other states have the ability to adopt California’s standards through Section 177 of the Clean Air Act, hence why they are often called the Section 177 states. See the latest states that have adopted the ZEV regulation.

Other States Have Adopted the ZEV Regulation
Other states have the ability to adopt California’s standards through Section 177 of the Clean Air Act, hence why they are often called the Section 177 states. See the latest states that have adopted the ZEV regulation.
To date, 17 states have adopted all or part of California’s low-emission and zero-emission vehicle regulations. Table current as of May 13, 2022.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2022-05/§177_states_05132022_NADA_sales_r2_ac.pdf

Proposed Advanced Clean Cars II Regulations: All New Passenger Vehicles Sold in California to be Zero Emissions by 2035
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/advanced-clean-cars-program/advanced-clean-cars-ii

I'm a 66 yr old Californian (born and raised). I couldn't care less about all this political debate. It has NOTHING to do with what makes California my home. Nor does it have much to do with how the population EXPLODED over all these years. It is a byproduct of that explosion.
I personally avoid all the large population centers, and all the traffic caused by all these people flocking to California. California is a huge state with incredible beauty and variety, Oh and there can be nice weather too. The problems in California all stem from it being such a nice place that the population just keeps exploding. The more people you have anywhere, the more rules you gotta have. I actually don't mind that there seems to be an exodus and the population may actually go down. I just wish it wasn't all my family and friends. I plan to stay.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
I'm a 66 yr old Californian (born and raised). I couldn't care less about all this political debate. It has NOTHING to do with what makes California my home. Nor does it have much to do with how the population EXPLODED over all these years. It is a byproduct of that explosion.
I personally avoid all the large population centers, and all the traffic caused by all these people flocking to California. California is a huge state with incredible beauty and variety, Oh and there can be nice weather too. The problems in California all stem from it being such a nice place that the population just keeps exploding. The more people you have anywhere, the more rules you gotta have. I actually don't mind that there seems to be an exodus and the population may actually go down. I just wish it wasn't all my family and friends. I plan to stay.
Agree, but I'm happy just to visit, not live in your state. Too many authoritarian liberal control freaks, among many other stupid or annoying things. Been a while since I've been up the road to Oxnard seafood.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree, but I'm happy just to visit, not live in your state. Too many authoritarian liberal control freaks, among many other stupid or annoying things. Been a while since I've been up the road to Oxnard seafood.
Give us your money and not your housing and you make the local conservatives ecstatic.

But we have a higher quality of living and lower pollution (for our population) because of those 'authoritarian' rules, so that's why you like to visit here.

You want good seafood? Don't despoil the sea ^-^

-Crissa

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's not how consumption works. The refrigerator doesn't run its compressor the entire time. At least, it shouldn't!

-Crissa
Thanks but I'll stick with those numbers for my units for purposes of figuring load during generator operation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last edited:

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

California is U.S. state with highest GDP per capita. Significantly ahead of second place Texas.
I don't have a clue what you are trying to get to by dividing GDP by people.

Most of the people I know in CA seem to have far less disposable income, but that's a meaningful measure of the money in someone's hands.

But what is your point regardless?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Most of the people I know in CA seem to have far less disposable income, but that's a meaningful measure of the money in someone's hands.

...You don't know the meaning of seeing the economic power available to help people?

That sounds... political.

Would you prefer to judge it by life expectancy, or hours at outdoor activities, or other metric of quality of life.

Cash in hand is pretty meaningless when you have to pay for those things.

-Crissa

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Many researchers use GDP per capita as a metric so I am not alone.

Is amount of land ( space for cow , corn, wheat) better like U.S. does senate election voting?

I am open to suggestion.

Do you know of some easily computed, fairly inexpensive, readily available data, and better method of doing the comparison?
Sponsored

Last edited: