Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Ahhh, so your’re the one responsible for that spike in the birth rate in the UK back then.

Maaate, C’mon down, everyone in Aus. would more than welcome you, as almost all American’s would be welcome.
Just promise you’ll leave at least a couple of single women available for us locals.

Here, we all grew up on a huge diet of American culture through t.v., I can sing you the theme song from Gilligan’s Island, Dukes of Hazard through to Cheers, and many many shows in-between.

While the last century, clearly was the American Century, and it’s been an overwhelming force for good in the world, you guy’s are stumbling a little these days. Not that we have much to crow about over here either ;)

Sorry Bud, I think you’ll find that while we have vast open spaces like the U.S, in the overwhelmingly concentrated population centres that are the few city’s in Australia, the Cybertruck would fill 1 or 2 job descriptions very admirably, but total ownership requirements would be a substantial disadvantage. It would be a chore to get around in and park, while not loaded up to the brim.

Up until the last few years, most ute’s were of the car based El Camino variety. (~198” x ~74.5”)
( Our whole car manufacturing industry in the last few years completely evaporated )

Now I’ve noticed the very large (what you call midrange) Utes, like the VW Amarok, and Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux (slightly smaller than Tacoma). Very rare to see an F150 size Ute. But the vehicle market is in a bit of a state over here, its declining substantially in volume and its seems to also be changing in peoples taste. And this was before the Pandemic.

Oh, and a workhorse E.V. owned outside the population center’s, is about as likely, as seeing a Space Alien or My favourite Martian.

P.S. If you want to get a handle on the rural Outback Ute culture in Australia, the Deni ( Deniliquin ) Ute Muster, is pretty definitive.
And its huge at least by our standards.
But be advised its very different to the city's. A lot of Yobo's ( you call'em Redneck's ). I wonder how Jeff Foxworthy would go over there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
To the 6' vs. 8' bed:
Maybe one idea would (could), be to have the rear bench including cab wall fold (or temporary removed), to turn a 6' into a 8' vault??
Now don't slam me, (and I'm no automotive engineer or designer).
Just a crazy idea and probably never doable.

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Sorry Bud, I think you’ll find that while we have vast open spaces like the U.S, in the overwhelmingly concentrated population centres that are the few city’s in Australia, the Cybertruck would fill 1 or 2 job descriptions very admirably, but total ownership requirements would be a substantial disadvantage. It would be a chore to get around in and park, while not loaded up to the brim.
The wife and I love to watch old episodes of Grand Design Australia (and New Zealand). Always amazed at how much Oz looks like California (especially with all our imported Euc trees!).

But it does throw us for a loop every time they say "It's April now, and building in the winter will be tough...." :). Or when they're looking for a north facing lot for solar.....

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
To the 6' vs. 8' bed:
Maybe one idea would (could), be to have the rear bench including cab wall fold (or temporary removed), to turn a 6' into a 8' vault??
Now don't slam me, (and I'm no automotive engineer or designer).
Just a crazy idea and probably never duable.
Doable! Safety headache rack considerations to prevent forward load slide into passengers violates law of independence. Mechanical engineers love new challenges.

BUT is it worth it really? Remember the backglass accommodates rear passenger seating. That means the configuration at best only provides 12“ - 18” height above bed of floor for over length cargo. A few sheets of plywood, poles, skis, kayak but not a canoe, palletized anything or loose debris at all. Loose material could overtop the safety devised.

Because you can doesn’t mean you should. Drop the tailgate, endblock and strap secure - 8’ done!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
BUT is it worth it really?
Yes. 8' and 10' loads would be possible without hanging off the truck.

Remember the backglass accommodates rear passenger seating. That means the configuration at best only provides 12“ - 18” height ...
This assertion makes no sense. Why would the glass not move like the windows in the doors?

-Crissa

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
Doable! Safety headache rack considerations to prevent forward load slide into passengers violates law of independence. Mechanical engineers love new challenges.

BUT is it worth it really? Remember the backglass accommodates rear passenger seating. That means the configuration at best only provides 12“ - 18” height above bed of floor for over length cargo. A few sheets of plywood, poles, skis, kayak but not a canoe, palletized anything or loose debris at all. Loose material could overtop the safety devised.

Because you can doesn’t mean you should. Drop the tailgate, endblock and strap secure - 8’ done!
Agreed. But, imagine you have that "once a year load", so you take the rear bench out, drop the rear window down into the rear wall and fold the wall forward down so that the bed becomes one flat surface. Front cab safety could be given with an additional rail system of sorts (idk).
Or, one just rents a U-Haul and forgets about this nonsense:LOL::rolleyes:

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
Agreed. But, imagine you have that "once a year load", so you take the rear bench out, drop the rear window down into the rear wall and fold the wall forward down so that the bed becomes one flat surface. Front cab safety could be given with an additional rail system of sorts (idk).
And bear in mind, most sedans and hatchbacks nowadays have that same idea of dropping the rear seats for more loading capacity without the concern of front cab safety (I might add).

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
It's unlikely that the midgate will fold. To be weight efficient, stress skin structure requires lateral structural bulkheads. The fwd. end of the box is the perfect location for this. I'm not saying it's impossible but it adds a lot more complexity than the average person would expect.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler
Occupation
Treasury Finance Insurance
Country flag
Won't the tailgate open level/flat in order to carry 8' plywood/sheetrock?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
We’ve always underslung long loads beneath the truck. 20’ lengths of rebar travel well tied-up to under carriage suspension components, a-arm and rear axel. That doesn’t fixe your canoe but it can handle 2x lengths over paved surface. Cybertruck is 14” ground clear.

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
We’ve always underslung long loads beneath the truck. 20’ lengths of rebar travel well tied-up to under carriage suspension components, a-arm and rear axel. That doesn’t fixe your canoe but it can handle 2x lengths over paved surface. Cybertruck is 14” ground clear.
I've wanted to do this with my truck everytime I haul 16' & 20' boards but the movement of the rear axle always turned me off of the idea. The nice thing about the Cybertruck is that we will have a clear span with no moving parts to worry about.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
I've wanted to do this with my truck everytime I haul 16' & 20' boards but the movement of the rear axle always turned me off of the idea. The nice thing about the Cybertruck is that we will have a clear span with no moving parts to worry about.
Neat, one could hook up a couple U-brackets, or similiars, to the bumpers and one has an undercarriage holder.

Thanks for the idea.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Neat, one could hook up a couple U-brackets, or similiars, to the bumpers and one has an undercarriage holder.

Thanks for the idea.
I wonder what the flag requirements would be for this. LOL

I can imagine some board sticking 10 feet out in front or back swiping pedestrians off crosswalks or sidewalks as the cat goes around corners.
Sponsored