Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If we know Elon, he would've set a target and let his ppl do the work.

" Hey team we need to make this truck affordable given these specs we promised. Make it happen at $60k for dual motor with 20% net margins! Go!"

This is what I think lol
Trying to recall where I saw it, but someone talked to an insider and they said that cutting costs was one of the top priorities on Cybertruck production.
Sponsored

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Perhaps I am wrong here, but it was my understanding that successful use of these massive casting machines requires a special alloy of aluminum to work properly (without warping of the casting during the cooling phase post injection etc.). That alloy is part of the "secret sauce" that Tesla has developed and is a guarded trade secret.

Also, since Tesla is successfully already using a 6kT press, the 9kT press should be similar (but bigger). Perhaps they have already done their testing and are familiar enough with the systems, design, and process that testing this machine outside of the system working, applying the appropriate pressures, and operating (even without mold injection) was enough to pass this forward into the hands of Tesla.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
The 9k ton press does just that... Presses things with up to 9,000 tons of force. Creating the molds, injecting the molds, removal of the blanks,... that's all separate from what IDRA makes. At least, that's my understanding. IDRA can fully test the presses without having any kind of furnace because they only need to ensure it has the clamping force the customer requires.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The 9k ton press does just that... Presses things with up to 9,000 tons of force. Creating the molds, injecting the molds, removal of the blanks,... that's all separate from what IDRA makes. At least, that's my understanding. IDRA can fully test the presses without having any kind of furnace because they only need to ensure it has the clamping force the customer requires.
They can practice by crushing aluminum cans or engine blocks.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If we know Elon, he would've set a target and let his ppl do the work.

" Hey team we need to make this truck affordable given these specs we promised. Make it happen at $60k for dual motor with 20% net margins! Go!"

This is what I think lol
This sounds correct. People have thrown out $100k+ estimates, but Elon has said himself that the more expensive the truck the fewer people that can afford it. So he's not an entirely out of touch billionaire, or at least he understands consumer economics.

So $35-80k sounds like a current reasonable truck price and most likely the goal he set for the team.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
There was a video of the top IDRA engineers saying they don't make some of the larger parts and they outsource them. Just saw an update where supposedly there are some cybertruck molds being shipped to Austin. End of Feb we could be seeing some truck castings.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
There was a video of the top IDRA engineers saying they don't make some of the larger parts and they outsource them. Just saw an update where supposedly there are some cybertruck molds being shipped to Austin. End of Feb we could be seeing some truck castings.
YEA! Joe Tegtmeyer found them!!!!!
Nevermind the fact that "delivery guy" has no insight into production line. He's just a cog in the wheel.. at the end of the line. And definitely not important enough to share confidential corporate information with. But its funny how people online give so much credence to nobodies like that. No different than cybertruckmembersforum conjectures.
we also found out he jacked our model Y delivery stereo EQ all funky. That guy sucks.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Can’t wait to see some casting coming out of that beast!

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Supposedly windows are blocked now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

we will see if this is true tomorrow I guess

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
They don’t want anyone to see that they are installing the second Gigapress they sneaked onto the premises until the last minute.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 💯
Why stop at 2? There’s 3…

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Until they secure more 9Ts, they could cast parts and weld them together using the 6T ?.

But then I think we are robbing Peter to pay Paul.