Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think this is just Joe overstepping and tesla solving it on their own terms.
This isn’t the first time Joe has played peek-a-boo. If Tesla wanted to limit his viewing of the inside they’d have told him to back off well before now rather than put up a tarp.

If Tesla asked Joe to avoid interior footage for a while, I’m certain he’d do it just to avoid losing his flight privileges.

Tesla and the drone operators have a marriage of convenience. Tesla controls when and where they can operate but otherwise gives them carte blanche. The approved drone operators reduce the demand for rogue drone operators.

I think they are hiding something and don’t want to risk a sneak-peak early reveal.
Sponsored

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope they aren’t hiding something like the press not fitting on it’s foundation And them removing the press. That’s the sort of thing I could see them hiding.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I hope they aren’t hiding something like the press not fitting on it’s foundation And them removing the press. That’s the sort of thing I could see them hiding.
They installed it upside down.

:eek:

All of the molds are done in inches and the press is in centimeters!!

:eek: :eek:

They rounded Pi to the nearest whole number when doing the calculations.

:eek: :poop:😨🤯

@John K stole their pen.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
They haven't started the press yet to see it fail.. and I doubt they get floor measurements wrong, only to discover as they are installing lol

Maybe early morning Sun glare?

But I'd say, its privacy.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Perhaps I am wrong here, but it was my understanding that successful use of these massive casting machines requires a special alloy of aluminum to work properly (without warping of the casting during the cooling phase post injection etc.). That alloy is part of the "secret sauce" that Tesla has developed and is a guarded trade secret.

Also, since Tesla is successfully already using a 6kT press, the 9kT press should be similar (but bigger). Perhaps they have already done their testing and are familiar enough with the systems, design, and process that testing this machine outside of the system working, applying the appropriate pressures, and operating (even without mold injection) was enough to pass this forward into the hands of Tesla.
Doubtful. They will probsbly have to tweak the formula for the new, larger casting and machine. It will take time.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Darn! About the tarp. But at least we know the first 9t press is almost completely assembled. I'm curious if CT would be using the same motors from the existing lineups or having completely new designs from a performance and packaging standpoint. CT teardown would be so interesting.
Last year they told us that machines for making the CT drive units were on order. If they were using current designs that would not be necessary would it?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Well, a drone HAS gone down before but that was about a year ago and landed on the roof. One of Jeff Roberts.

I think this is just Joe overstepping and tesla solving it on their own terms.

He hasn’t said anything to me about it. No comments. We usually talk every other day when he posts for what it’s worth. Radio silence today.
There have been at least 3 drone crashes that we know of and only Jeff's that was on the roof.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The drone pilots are part of Tesla PR.
They give everyone a feeling of openness and transparency while being outsiders so everything is just guesses and conjecture. Tesla is no more transparent or accountable than any other corporation, possibly less, others have a PR dept that answered questions but then can be held accountable for deception, they just appear to be and a large part of that is the drone flight.
Plus it keeps them in the news.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
They are hiding it because we don't have enough unanswered questions

:rolleyes:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
All of the molds are done in inches and the press is in centimeters!!

Hey hey, this isn't NASA we're talking about here.....

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Its a die casting machine, not a press.
But it IS a press... it presses with the force of 9,000 tons to keep the two halves of the mold together while it is being cast.

If it isn't a press, IDRA has screwed up calling it a press while selling 24 of them so far...

It IS a press.

To be fair, IDRA calls it a Gigapress at times and a die casting machine at other times... within the same page. But, the page's title is "Gigapress - Welcome to the era of the Gigapress"

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hey hey, this isn't NASA we're talking about here.....
It wasn’t NASA that made the error, per we, but the interaction of several space agencies and contractors, but NASA was responsible for not having better oversight.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
With CT parts designed to be manufactured with simplest processes with minimum number of steps will directly translate to faster ramping. Just look at the traditional way of making a body vs giga press. Every step, every process adds time, expense and more ramp up effort.
This is not really true. Each station on a production line is built concurrently with other stations. So, a longer production line with more processes requires more engineers to set it up, not more time.

The Cybertuck will have a lot of new technology incorporated and therefore a bigger risk of delays. I've noticed more recent prototypes have a waviness in the side panels that didn't exist on the first two prototypes so that makes me think they are experimenting with different methods of bending, pehaps using rollers instead of a flat sheet metal brake.
Sponsored