Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Free business idea. . .

A 6-10 ft extension cable with a selection of attachments you can pick, that allow one end to be plugged into any charger and the other end into any EV. That way when you pull up to any given charger you don't have to park like a savage.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Free business idea. . .

A 6-10 ft extension cable with a selection of attachments you can pick, that allow one end to be plugged into any charger and the other end into any EV. That way when you pull up to any given charger you don't have to park like a savage.

If I had a Rivian I would be interested. Oddly, a lot of people don't like backing into stalls whereas Tesla owners by virtue of necessity have to. The easier thing to do is to get other OEMs to place the charge port on the left-rear. GM/Chevy got this right with the Hummer EV and the Silverado EV.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
1677186197072.png

PS if you see a Rivian parked like this to charge at a Supercharger you are permitted to put a rock through the windshield.

What about the model Y? :devilish:

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Looks pretty sharp.

Another observation I’m stealing. They retrofitted this entire station in just a few hours.

This makes me think they are going to blast through setting these up. Also shoots a hole in the idea they are just going to install these only on new stations. Which suggests to me this was funded separately from the funds to install new chargers.

Tesla Cybertruck First Supercharger with Magic Dock CCS Adapter charges up a Rivian 1677199203601

@cvalue13

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This makes me think they are going to blast through setting these up. Also shoots a hole in the idea they are just going to install these only on new stations. Which suggests to me this was funded separately from the funds to install new chargers.
Tesla has smart people. Now I'm not up to speed on how the payouts go for the federal funds to expand the network, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were paid per deployment of a charger that fit the qualifications. If so, it would also not surprise me if Tesla accounts for the federal funds as a separate deployment from the base charger. So financially, Tesla pays for the location, supercharger, and setup as a Tesla only charger. Separately, they then "deploy" (which is really just an upgrade) the new Magic Dock (which would be super cheap at this point) and collect the federal funds.

From what I understand, the Tesla charging network is already profitable without the federal funds. So for the federally qualified deployments (upgrade) the ROI could be accounted for as the federal funds minus the deployment costs. This would make the Magic Dock deployments look super profitable. Of course over time, they could separate out the charging costs and ROI of non-Tesla vehicles from Tesla vehicles. Also, for new charging stations, the deployment and the upgrade would happen at the same time even if the accounting might still treat them separately.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So financially, Tesla pays for the location, supercharger, and setup as a Tesla only charger. Separately, they then "deploy" (which is really just an upgrade) the new Magic Dock (which would be super cheap at this point) and collect the federal funds.
admitting I’m also not an expert on how these funds are deployed, I believe that in the scenario you lay out above it would mean Tesla is receiving minimal funds. I’d presume the funds provided are tied to the proof of cost of the relevant portion of upgrades that achieve the federal goals (eg minimum of 4 CCS enabled chargers with simultaneous 150kwh charging, etc.).

this may also be behind the earlier reported stories out of TX where Tesla’s “quotes“ we’re on the order of $40K per installation, while non-Tesla providers were quoting on the order of $250K per installation. (Unclear if in that story’s context an “installation” was per charger, or instead per qualifying charger install -eg 4X chargers).

In any event, no doubt the retrofit of existing stations both qualifies for funds, and is relatively quick/cheap to deploy. And given the per-state infra, needing chargers every 50miles etc., to qualify for the Fed funds, supercharger station retrofits will be a key piece of the state’s puzzle

very cool.

Lightning charge port (front left quarter panel) not ideally located, though!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Does anyone know how plugshare will find out about location and number of these chargers? Will it be from users? Or Tesla? I am guessing CCS folks will have to use a Tesla app and that would be the most reliable way to find out. But since they will have to rely on multiple networks, I am still wondering if you EV veterans that have used plugshare a lot have a feel for how fast and accurately this info will be updated there as Tesla deploys these?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
But since they will have to rely on multiple networks, I am still wondering if you EV veterans that have used plugshare a lot have a feel for how fast and accurately this info will be updated there as Tesla deploys these?
ultimately, I think the federal funding is predicated on there being a one-stop-shop method for locating and paying for the chargers.

of course if Tesla is doing these outside the federal funding, bets are off

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I think part of the federal provision requires that, in the end, there will be one app that users will need to access all chargers to avoid confusion. How it will be implemented is a mystery.

If they're smart they'll have an app that simply connects users to the proper web-app for the charger system they're using. Companies with half-a-brain will then have web access at their charger sites to ensure connectivity. Starlink should be licking their chops at this idea.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think part of the federal provision requires that, in the end, there will be one app that users will need to access all chargers to avoid confusion. How it will be implemented is a mystery.

If they're smart they'll have an app that simply connects users to the proper web-app for the charger system they're using. Companies with half-a-brain will then have web access at their charger sites to ensure connectivity. Starlink should be licking their chops at this idea.
I think it’s more that companies cannot require a specific app. So you can support all the charging networks with your chargers, or maybe just have a kiosk.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Nice. Makes me wonder if Tesla had a bunch of these sitting in a warehouse waiting for the Biden thing.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Can you guys tell if all chargers at this location have been retrofitted or some of them? All would make sense otherwise CCS refugees will have to deal with the same level of uncertainty as they do now.
Sponsored