Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
After rereading your post and looking at OP's photo (bellow), BAW is becoming even more puzzling. It is not like Tesla has not made EV's with invisible wipers.

1678124843746.png
The aerodynamic drag coeffienent of the Model S might be lower if the Model S had a BAW instead of a reccessed wiper gap.

The Cybertruck in that picture would look better with BAWs ( BAW BAW). I am serious. NOT joking.

Another issue is for people who live in areas that get snow & ice because of the width & height of the truck, if the wipers were recessed in the base of the windshield most people would not be able to lean over the vehicle to clean out snow and ice so the wiper are free to operate.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The aerodynamic drag coeffienent of the Model S might be lower if the Model S had a BAW instead of a reccessed wiper gap.
I have to see a simulation for that to believe it but even if that was true, the alternative would be for the wiper to be at the traditional location covered either by a flexible rubber piece or a housing with a motorized door to reduce drag. Again I am not convinced as is the drag is higher.

The Cybertruck in that picture would look better with BAWs ( BAW BAW). I am serious. NOT joking.
Although this is subjective, let's assume it is. Would you say BAW BAW looks better than the original look (no visible wiper)?

Another issue is for people who live in areas that get snow & ice because of the width & height of the truck, if the wipers were recessed in the base of the windshield most people would not be able to lean over the vehicle to clean out snow and ice so the wiper are free to operate.
That has been an issue with a lot of my old vehicles in winter and I would be curious how BAW would do in similar circumstances. Even if that was actually an upside to BAW, there are other downsides. I expect BAW to generate more wind noise at high speed than traditional wiper. BAW BAW even more.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
lol what? a compressed air blower? where do you live?

the BAW is great!
Yes, let’s ask a bunch of YouTube engineers how to solve a part of the truck that has aerodynamic, fluid mechanics, mechanical and electrical engineering requirements.

Like i said before, I am going to install a gun rack on the back window and the BAW alpha wiper is getting mounted in all its glory in the off season. The BAW is going to be all the rage. Watch Ford start putting giant vertical wipers on

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
They could put a retractable pocket it the upper portion of the frunk stainless panel just below the glass that pops up or rotated up and the wiper is concealed inside it. This would be a waterproofing conundrum for sure but it would be one solution and it would definitely work.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have to see a simulation for that to believe it but even if that was true, the alternative would be for the wiper to be at the traditional location covered either by a flexible rubber piece or a housing with a motorized door to reduce drag. Again I am not convinced as is the drag is higher.
Yes, I would like to see a simulation too but I am sure Tesla had very good reason to have the BAW instead of recessed wiper and reduced drag during 95% of time was probably one of the reasons.

Although this is subjective, let's assume it is. Would you say BAW BAW looks better than the original look (no visible wiper)?
Yes, I agree that on stage, showroom floor, parked, or at Concorso d'Eleganza, no wiper or no BAW is a nicer look.

But I live in the real world out on the streets & highways where you never know what will be coming at you.

I have lived through too many incidents where on perfectly cloudless days with blue skies that huge splash of water, muddy water, slush, dirt, sand, leaves suddenly covered my windshield. Direct stream of water from mis-aimed water sprinklers, splashed puddles from sprinklers, lawn watering runoff, firefighting water/foam runoff, overturned semi trailers spilling stuff, stuff falling off bridges/overpasses, and many more unexpected situations.

I would never operate a vehicle on public street or highway without operational wiper no matter how good the weather appeared to be.

That has been an issue with a lot of my old vehicles in winter and I would be curious how BAW would do in similar circumstances.
Yup, lived for decades in locations where heavy snow, ice, sleet were issues.

I expect BAW to generate more wind noise at high speed than traditional wiper. BAW BAW even more.
Might be a issue or might not. Depends on the wiper design. We will see.

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
BAW could allow the CT to become the the first Tesla with an AM radio. It's my understanding that pickups and some SUVs still come with antennas because their target demographic still listens to AM. So, BAW will allow us to listen to low-quality, rage-filled political talk shows out in the country

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I know this is an unpopular opinion.

But it’s a work truck, not a beauty pageant contestant. The wiper—just like the truck—is big, bad-ass, and likely very good at it’s job.

If you want a pretty boy truck, Rivian has you covered.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I think this is a good opportunity to bring up the possibility of the return of The Trunk Monkey.

The monkey can easily take care of cleaning camera lenses, glass areas in front of cameras and defrosting the BAW (just don't think too hard about how that's accomplished).

Even at highway speeds.

Last edited:

martinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton
Country flag
After rereading your post and looking at OP's photo (bellow), BAW is becoming even more puzzling. It is not like Tesla has not made EV's with invisible wipers.

1678124843746.png
The innovation is right there before your eyes. The model S has a complex shaped hood with multiple curves and is set higher than the windshield. This complex shape allows the wiper to be tucked under the rear of the hood when not in use. This design requires thin pressed steel that has to be painted.

The Cybertruck has a flat hood that is on the same plane as the windshield to lower air resistance. This hood is cheaper to produce, easier to maintain and helps reduce drag.

If the wiper was stored horizontally it would it would add a lot more drag than being stored vertically, so this is why it's the way it is.

The Cybertruck was not designed to be a beautiful work of art. It is designed to be at least as capable as an F150 in terms of towing, hauling and driving on and off road. Pickup trucks are supposed to be all about function, not form. Well that is the way they used to be anyway.

Franz has really embraced the whole concept of function over form and the sharp angles, unpainted stainless steel and exposed truck sized wiper all scream loudly that this truck is all about getting shit done without being worried about how pretty it looks.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The innovation is right there before your eyes. The model S has a complex shaped hood with multiple curves and is set higher than the windshield. This complex shape allows the wiper to be tucked under the rear of the hood when not in use. This design requires thin pressed steel that has to be painted. .
Innovation by default is not necessarily improvement. All you are telling me is that Tesla made a lot of good design choices and that justifies the compromise they had to make for one bad one (BAW). That very well MAY be true but it should not be confused with BAW being an ideal design.

If the wiper was stored horizontally it would it would add a lot more drag than being stored vertically, so this is why it's the way it is.
Where did you get this from? As others have mentioned above, wiper could be hidden horizontally without disturbing the overall shape and airflow (at least not more than BAW).

I also challenge the idea that ugly is automatically more functional. I could buy the idea that ugly is more manly in which case CT being beautiful would be more of challenge to the status quo.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it’s not an improvement then it isn‘t an innovation, it’s just change for change sake.
The intended motivation is often an improvement in at least one respect for at least one individual (often a group). The outcome could be perceived as negative by a larger group (less powerful or less consequential). Whether it is accepted as an inovation by the first group or rejected by the second has no impact on if infact was a new way of doing something. The only thing all innovations have in common is being new. At least that is how Oxford sees it. For example a new design could be motivated by increasing profit margin and reducing operating cost for the company. It may succeed in doing that and the CEO and stockholders see it as improvement. However it may reduce functionality and increase repair cost/insurance for the owners that may be larger in numbers than stockholders. Atomic bomb was certainly an innovation but improvement? is debatable depending on if you are a politician or some poor sap living in Hiroshima. BOW certainly looks like an innovation to me. I have not seen another truck with anything like it. I am still not sure how it will keep my windshield clean in the rain better than anything I have had in the past.

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1678141960657

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The intended motivation is often an improvement in at least one respect for at least one individual (often a group). The outcome could be perceived as negative by a larger group (less powerful or less consequential). Whether it is accepted as an inovation by the first group or rejected by the second has no impact on if infact was a new way of doing something. The only thing all innovations have in common is being new. At least that is how Oxford sees it. For example a new design could be motivated by increasing profit margin and reducing operating cost for the company. It may succeed in doing that and the CEO and stockholders see it as improvement. However it may reduce functionality and increase repair cost/insurance for the owners that may be larger in numbers than stockholders. Atomic bomb was certainly an innovation but improvement? is debatable depending on if you are a politician or some poor sap living in Hiroshima. BOW certainly looks like an innovation to me. I have not seen another truck with anything like it. I am still not sure how it will keep my windshield clean in the rain better than anything I have had in the past.

1678141960657.png
Need to de-reference that pointer and now give us the definition of "innovating".

Gotta love when you go to the dictionary to look up a definition and the definition is "go look it up".

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Need to de-reference that pointer and now give us the definition of "innovating".

Gotta love when you go to the dictionary to look up a definition and the definition is "go look it up".

Google's motto was "don't be evil". Somewhere along the line they must have changed it to "keepem on Google as long as possible". Their link to Oxford was useless. here is another one:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation
Sponsored