Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
All, please forgive me if this has been covered before, I'll delete if so. I've had this conversation a few time in other places. So this morning, I snapped a few pics while cruising through the Wal Mart parking lot. The standard for wipers breaks the windshield into three columns, and the one in front of the passenger only requires 80% sweep. I think the BAW will do a better job at that than most.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield wiper sweep examples cybertruck windshield swee
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield wiper sweep examples Wiper 1
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield wiper sweep examples Wiper 2
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield wiper sweep examples Wiper 3
Sponsored

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
All, please forgive me if this has been covered before, I'll delete if so. I've had this conversation a few time in other places. So this morning, I snapped a few pics while cruising through the Wal Mart parking lot. The standard for wipers breaks the windshield into three columns, and the one in front of the passenger only requires 80% sweep. I think the BAW will do a better job at that than most.
cybertruck windshield sweep.jpg
Wiper 1.jpg
Wiper 2.jpg
Wiper 3.jpg
The area NOT covered by BAW and others results in "Wipe LEFT'

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota Sienna, Pleasure-way RV
Occupation
Air Force Officer (ret), Investor, E-Commerce
Country flag
cybertruck windshield sweep.jpg
Wiper 1.jpg
Wiper 2.jpg
Wiper 3.jpg
What about the left and right side slots at the top of the windshield where we hope a light-bar will be integrated. I've heard the lights must be covered when on-road, so may not make it into production, or may have to have a black-out cover over them.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What about the left and right side slots at the top of the windshield where we hope a light-bar will be integrated. I've heard the lights must be covered when on-road, so may not make it into production, or may have to have a black-out cover over them.
Can you clarify? Are you saying that no passenger vehicles can have lights on top and turned on while driving on public roads?

OP
OP
Bill837

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
Can you clarify? Are you saying that no passenger vehicles can have lights on top and turned on while driving on public roads?
So, first lets confirm we are talking about the things I think we are. These are the forward most of four on each side. Now, no reason you couldn't mount a set of lights there, and Tesla might even offer one, but I don't see it be stock for the reasons of cover requirements.

So, this page illuminates the problem with delivering a light bar that's legal everywhere. Not all places require a light bar to be covered, the real issue appears to be a wildly varying regulation set covering allowed power, mounting height and direction restrictions.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/are-light-bars-legal

And I'm pretty sure you wont find a bunch of folks who know more about the dizzying array of such rules than the fine folks at KC. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if Tesla didn't partner with them on an accessory light bar.

https://www.kchilites.com/campfire/post/are-led-light-bars-and-auxiliary-lights-street-legal

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield wiper sweep examples Mount points #1

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thank you for KChilites link where they have links to state rules. I reviewed CA, specifically 24400 and 24411 of vehicle code, where headlamps must be below 54 inches (so overhead in CT is too high). If auxiliary lights are mounted overhead, must be covered and off when on-road.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...12.&title=&part=&chapter=2.&article=7.&goUp=Y

So the 2019 reveal with lights under the top end of the windshield (see pic, they are under the glass, not mounted outside on top of roof) will need to be covered (maybe an internal flap like a sun-visor can slide in place).

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield wiper sweep examples Tesla_Cybertruck_outside_unveil_modified_by_Smnt

Last edited:
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
See the dark slots visible through the glass above the red line. There could be lights deep in there and a solid flap internally to cover them when on-road.

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield wiper sweep examples cybertruck windshield lights

OP
OP
Bill837

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
Have the light bar adjustable and pointed downward by default, making it a “map light”. It is mounted inside the cabin, right?
I mean it could be, and Teslas been know to lock horns with regulators, I just know if this is a hill they want to fight for. Might be.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, yes.

But in many states there's old rules that state they need to also be physically covered by an opaque material.

As a practical matter, though... Not sure how anyone would ticket you for having lights under the windscreen that weren't protruding, tho.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
An extra light over the windscreen means more bugs on the windscreen to as they flu towards the light.

Better off having proper lights lower down, plus that's less parts and wiring.

An external light bar mounted on the roof apex will upset aerodynamics and reduce range.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
An extra light over the windscreen means more bugs on the windscreen to as they flu towards the light.

Better off having proper lights lower down, plus that's less parts and wiring.

An external light bar mounted on the roof apex will upset aerodynamics and reduce range.
I don’t know about the bugs, if they flew towards the light bar, I think the airflow might be enough at that point to push all but the biggest bugs over the top of the CT. Theoretically, given that there are a limited number of bugs in a given area, this might divide the ones that do exist into a higher and lower group, thereby flipping half of them over and so reducing the number that you have to scrape off by somewhere around half! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Bill837

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
Well, yes.

But in many states there's old rules that state they need to also be physically covered by an opaque material.

As a practical matter, though... Not sure how anyone would ticket you for having lights under the windscreen that weren't protruding, tho.

-Crissa
Like front plate laws, or laws about tires protruding past the fenders or bumper height laws, enforcement is always a crap shoot. I'd think that an internal string of LEDS in 99% of cases, unless you had it lit, no officers gonna even worry about it. But those laws don't ever mention inside or outside, just height.

But all it takes is a few jokers to drive around with them for the NHTSA to open yet another investigation. That might be why Tesla might not offer it.

bf1268

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser, eventual Cybertruck
Country flag