Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Pricing will determine how transformative cybertruck will be. With every passing day I become more a more resigned to this being overpriced and therefore out of the reach of many/most.
you underestimate how popular Tesla wants the CT to be.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
When my Cybertruck arrives, hopefully soon, it will be parked not inside my garage but proudly on my driveway for all to drool upon
: )
mine also... but mainly cause that beast won't really FIT in my garage!! i would have like 3" front and back of it...

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
When the CyberTruck does finally come out it will of course leapfrog Ford, so then Ford will have to up their game. Which is what Ford's Blue Oval City factories are all about. The NEXT Gen Ford Lightning. Competition is good. Let's see what all the truck makers can offer to buyers.
The metric that is often missing from conversations like this is the cost to build. You can't really compare two trucks and say one is better than the other when it is being sold at a $20K loss because that is not sustainable and will never be built in high enough volumes to be considered "competition". Yes, some people will buy them until they are all sold because there are not that many of them made and the company will discount them as much as needed to make sure they all get sold.

If you want to compare products on an equal footing, you need to look at whether the price point is real or artificial (subsidized by ICE sales). I think anyone hoping for Ford's 2nd generation Lightning to be competitive with the Cybertruck is dreaming. Sure, it will be a bit better than gen 1, and it will cost a bit less to make, and they will sell all they make, even if they have to discount them more than they like, but if they are losing money on everyone they sell, that's not competitive and will not last.

The fact is, Tesla is a far more efficient manufacturer of vehicles than Ford and GM. Both of them would like to change that but it's not something they are equipped to compete with Tesla on. In fact, the gap is widening. Tesla gets the best and brightest engineers for one, so they are always going to be ahead for as far as the eye can see. A great engineer can design a superior product that costs less to build and lasts longer without needing service.

Ford and GM have over 100 years of corporate culture that works against innovation and that is not something a CEO can easily reverse. It's built into the corporate culture to such an extent that an edict from the CEO barely makes a dent in it. Ford and GM have inefficient purchasing habits that are encoded into company policy - it is a lot of work to change and train people to new ways of doing business. The problems run deep and there is not much time to fix it without going bankrupt. Not only do these inefficient processes cost the company money, they also make it take longer to change and innovate, which lowers competitiveness.

All of these things impact how much value they can offer the new truck buyer who wants the best truck for the money. Sure, some people will pay more for less because they like the way it looks or because they don't want to stop being a "Ford" guy, that happens. But most people make rational decisions when it comes to spending their hard-earned money. That's the market Tesla is going after. And high volume has economies of scale that further helps them lower the cost to manufacture, which creates a snowball effect that is hard to stop.

It's all about how much you get for your money.

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
I am a plump woman who is going to be 63 in September and stands at under 5' tall (4'11.75"). Because I have lots of gardens and would really like a way to move stuff like mulch or bring the ride on mower in for servicing, I'm thinking I need a truck. The features that I love are the ramp that can be driven up and the tonneau cover. Personally, I'm not thinking the thing is attractive, but I understand the necessity of its shape. I don't think that I am a typical Cyber truck purchaser. I am a retired teacher, so I am not wealthy, but like when I got a Model S back in 2012, I've saved as much as I could each month and stored it away for the next vehicle. There were few selections back then, and I didn't want to drive around in a little clown car, which is what was available if you wanted to drive electric. When Model S became available, I jumped on it because of its range and its spacious capacity. Now, with the truck, there are just features that make such total sense, and I think Tesla understands battery technology better than any other car manufacturer. Their vehicles are the safest on the road. Practicality will win out over looks every time, and I think they've got that. My only question is whether or not I'll be able to climb up into it!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I am a plump woman who is going to be 63 in September and stands at under 5' tall (4'11.75"). Because I have lots of gardens and would really like a way to move stuff like mulch or bring the ride on mower in for servicing, I'm thinking I need a truck. The features that I love are the ramp that can be driven up and the tonneau cover. Personally, I'm not thinking the thing is attractive, but I understand the necessity of its shape. I don't think that I am a typical Cyber truck purchaser. I am a retired teacher, so I am not wealthy, but like when I got a Model S back in 2012, I've saved as much as I could each month and stored it away for the next vehicle. There were few selections back then, and I didn't want to drive around in a little clown car, which is what was available if you wanted to drive electric. When Model S became available, I jumped on it because of its range and its spacious capacity. Now, with the truck, there are just features that make such total sense, and I think Tesla understands battery technology better than any other car manufacturer. Their vehicles are the safest on the road. Practicality will win out over looks every time, and I think they've got that. My only question is whether or not I'll be able to climb up into it!
I think you will be surprised with how easy it is to get in/out of due the ability of the suspension to go quite low.

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
I am assuming you should be able to set the height of the vehicle in your preferences when in Park as you can set the seat height. With the air suspension, I am betting it will be easy to climb into the truck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My only question is whether or not I'll be able to climb up into it!
Elon's buddy Rogan is that small and he had no trouble: The truck is only tall when it needs to be. At least that's the design.

Yeah, I can't wait to have it; I want to carry a truckbed full of saplings to my mom's. ^-^

-Crissa

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
My Rivian R1T has a kneel mode function to drop the air suspension to its lowest setting for easy ingress and egress and I believe the Cybertruck has similar design

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
My Rivian R1T has a kneel mode function to drop the air suspension to its lowest setting for easy ingress and egress and I believe the Cybertruck has similar design
Thank you; I was assuming it would have something like that. Much appreciated.

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
I am assuming you should be able to set the height of the vehicle in your preferences when in Park as you can set the seat height. With the air suspension, I am betting it will be easy to climb into the truck.
That's my assumption, too. I'm hoping that it's actually easier than lowering myself into the Model S!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think you are in fact very much a typical Cybertruck buyer. Gender/ age/ height vary a bit, but we all just want a truck to get stuff done.

Seems like a vocal minority of people think of the Cybertruck as some kind of crazy luxury supertruck, but most of us just want an affordable electric truck to get things done. (The thing it was actually pitched as originally!)

FWIW, a friend of mine is 5’ tall and tried out our Model Y and loved the adjustable seating. I suspect the CT will be similar. That plus the adjustable suspension should make it great for you!.
Sponsored