Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Cybertruckin Magazine contributor
Country flag
Starlink has added an option to their website, for people to sign up for email updates about Starlink service in their area.
https://www.starlink.com/
Anybody else out there excited for Starlink?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, I'm excited IF the latency/jitter are low enough that they are useable with VOIP

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I signed up well. My local cable franchise keeps raising the internet service prices. I found this fascinating;

“Starlink satellites are equipped with efficient ion thrusters powered by krypton that enable the satellites to orbit raise, maneuver in space, and deorbit at the end of their useful life. Starlink is the first krypton propelled spacecraft ever flown.”

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
And the tiny print, job advertisement at the end... :cool:

"Interested in being a software engineer for Starlink? Send your resume to [email protected]"

Reactions: CTM

JayJay

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, Cyber Truck on order
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Starlink has added an option to their website, for people to sign up for email updates about Starlink service in their area.
https://www.starlink.com/
Anybody else out there excited for Starlink?
I watched the launch yesterday morning. Rumor has it that SpaceX expects to make more money from Starlink than any other endevor and it should eventually go public. Just something I heard.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Thanks, I signed up!

plucas

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT
Country flag
What about a starlink option on the Cybertruck? I know tesla vehicles come with a cellular connection but what about when camping and off-roading beyond where verizon and ATT build their cell towers?

I personally would also use it at college football tailgates where cellular reception is always overwhelmed from the crowds.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That's an interesting question. Tesla must pay tens of millions to ATT for prime connect service that comes free the first year and millions for the basic service thereafter. If they have their own global coverage LEO constellation in place why would they want to continue to do that? The answer is that you have to be outside to see a LEO and that you need to be connected to the car when it is in a garage. If you are at home then there is the WiFi connection but if you are in a multilevel parking garage there is no WiFi. But that is a very small fraction of the time. Will Tesla continue its arrangement with ATT to cover just that tiny fraction (at much, much reduced bandwidth)? Or we we just be incommunicado during the relatively rare occasions we park in such places?

OP
OP
CTM

CTM

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Cybertruckin Magazine contributor
Country flag
What about a starlink option on the Cybertruck? I know tesla vehicles come with a cellular connection but what about when camping and off-roading beyond where verizon and ATT build their cell towers?

I personally would also use it at college football tailgates where cellular reception is always overwhelmed from the crowds.
My impression is that starlink will work anywhere it can be plugged in and pointed at the sky. I won’t be mounting it to my Cybertruck, but yes in an offgrid camping situation it will be great for keeping up on cybertruckowners forums?

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

If the option does not include the hardware when purchasing a CT then maybe we just plug in a User Terminal into the 110v outlet in the vault and point it to the sky like Elon said. (Requiring customers to simply “plug [it] in & point [it] at [the] sky”) while out camping or tailgating.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Starlink antenna integrated into a roof rack system makes sense.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The Starlink antenna(s) will be integrated with the rest of the truck in the same way as the GPS, cellphone and WiFi antennas are today, There will be no need to install anything.

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 Jeep Laredo, 2012 jeep Patriot, and 2015 Kia Forte
Occupation
Security
Country flag
Yes! Already signed-up.
Sponsored