What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase?

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Greetings everyone. I have been driving pick up trucks for over 43 years and we own 3 Tesla’s so I have some experience on these things. I thought maybe this could help you folks who don’t drive trucks or already don’t own a Tesla vehicle.

SIZE OF CT: I have always parked my truck outside in the driveway or on the street in front of my house. Although some trucks could park inside a empty garage, mine never seems to be empty. The CT is too long to park in my garage and needs to be shorter to be parked inside. My current residence doesn’t allow vehicles to park on the street and charging a Tesla outside is not an option so a reduction in length is really important., otherwise it would be a nightmare to charge at home.

RANGE: Folks, despite what I have read on some sights, Range is King! Always buy the longest range Tesla that you can afford. The truth is Tesla vehicles do not get the range they advertise. Not even close. Unless you just drive to the local store and back, range is way more important than you realize. First off, you only charge to 90% on a daily basis. So on the Tri-Motor which was said to offer 500 miles of range, that takes you down to 450 right off the top. I always drive with the AC on and that reduces range too. If you drive the freeways like I do, which is to say not 55-65, but more like 70-75 you will loose range. Any driving uphill will kill the range. Towing will kill the range. Then there’s battery degeneration which is hard to accept. You purchase a Tesla with a certain range, but it degrades and you loose another 3-5%. I charge every night to 90% and my 2017 MS P100D magically looses range overnight. An interesting note though is that when driving down a mountain you will gain range. I gain 16 miles of range coming down from 5,000 feet from my summer home.

INTERIOR STORAGE: All new modern pick up trucks have very good storage options. My MS is terrible for interior storage. Terrible. What a pick up Truck driver needs is a place to put stuff. That’s why 2 front captains chairs is the best solution. You want the large arm rest to use to place things on, write on Or use a laptop if you work from your truck and the massive compartments underneath for everything you carry with you. Also door pocket storage, and behind the back seat storage for ropes, flairs, tie downs etc. In fact anyplace they can design interior storage would be welcome.

SIDE MIRRORS: These are a must And required by law. I don‘t care about an effort to get around the side mirrors by using a camera. Ever try to use a camera when it’s wet, dirty, muddy, foggy or snowing. Forget about it. Side mirrors are for safety I use them all the time while driving, backing up and when I’m towing and when my bed or Vault is loaded blocking my view. Anybody who drives a truck knows this. They will have side mirrors. If a Tesla wants addd add additional side view camera, great but they must have mirrors first.

TAIL GATE OPTIONS: Since side loading is out due to the exterior design, tail gate options will be important for loading. I often remove the tail gate for forklift loading, and need it to lower all the way down sometimes. A hinged option would be nice too.

CHARGING OPTIONS; Dual charging ports would be great. This is a Big Vehicle and Tesla only provides a 20-25 charging cord. it is VERY important to place your wall charger as close as possible to your charge port side of the vehicle. Please don’t take this process lightly. Dual charging ports would help solve the issue of the location of your electrical supply and cord length problems. This is why the CT needs to fit inside a garage too. You simply cant charge your CT outside. I would like to see a Tesla provide a 35-50’ charging cord for the CT too.

SUPER CHARGING: Yes I do get free SC for my MS, but it’s still inconvenient at this time. Maybe in 5-7 years from now if a Tesla keeps adding to the SC Network it will be better but it’s not great right now. When all Tesla vehicles Get 600 miles of range it will be easier to drive a Tesla And in my opinion it will be game over for ICE cars. , But the majority of people still have Range anxiety. That’s a fact and it’s real.

TOWING: Yes I do tow and many of you will too. remember Range is king as towing will kill your range.

EARLY ODOPTERS: I worry about being one of the first ones to get a CT. If you do t already own a Tesla, you should be worried too. My 2017 MS was Top of the Line and was very expensive. Now you can buy one that is better and costs way less. I have the MCU 1 computer. It’s disappointing that’s the second version is way faster and better, which means I’m excluded from using all the features that Tesla pushes out unless I change the hardware. That will keep happening too. So if you. do end up getting an early CT. With all the problems and bugs that come with a brand new vehicle be prepared to accept that someone else who waited 2 years will have a better and cheaper CT with all sorts of features you won’t have and probably with even more range that you got.

DELIVERY SCHEDULE: Tesla doesn’t have a CT factory yet. They don’t have the Battery technology yet. I really don’t see the CT being shipped in masses until 2023 so your going to be waiting a long time. You will have time to watch, plan and get ready for your CT. it’s not surprising to me that at only a $100.00 deposit so many people got in line to order one, but I’m not expecting A high percentage of you to actually move ahead with an actual purchase. We all love Tesla but their not even close to being perfect and they certainly don’t match the build quality of Mercedes, Porsche, Ford etc.

No offense intended, just my thoughts.
Sponsored

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla insurance is a weak option. They are underwritten by a 3rd party insurance company. Only in California can you get Tesla insurance I believe.

It’s only available online, and there is no one to talk to. It might work for a single person living in California With no assets, but if your married, to have get two policies. That Is dumb. If you have Kids, multiple cars or houses or other things to protect it doesn’t work. I looked into this When it first came out and it was just stupid. Need to consider your level of coverages, deductibles, umbrella Policies? For get about it.

It’s to restrictive for somebody who has to consider options.

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
Why the tri-motor configuration instead of a quad motor config?? Not only would 4 inductive motors be more powerful, but you could achieve easier control. This is especially required if going off-road or dealing with rough conditions like snow in northern Japan.

Only thing I could think of is power/range requirements. But then the tri-motor already has more range. So, does that mean they pack in more battery cells?

Why not offer a quad-motor option?? I'd buy it for $90k...

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree 100%. Let’s hope they hear us.

reaver1467

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Occupation
Technical product designer
Country flag
One other thing for me is the so called “World-version“. I guess that could be the one we get in Europe. Hope it will Not differ too much from the Original.

I love the Design.of CT would be quite sad if Europe has to get an „Cybertruck-lite“.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Two questions about the self driving.

If, when the time comes, I opt for the FSD (which I didn't specify on my reservation order), will I pay the "then" price -- or the extra thou?

Will there be some sort of "partial" self driving as a standard feature?

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I‘ ve read some articles where it is said „it would be impossible for the cybertruck to have a release in Europe“.

What is Teslas answer to that? The main reason against an EU release would be the missing crumple Zone.

That question give me nightmares??.
And now the UK is an independent country again we don’t need to follow any EU rules, bring it on.

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
What maintenance options are available for the SS 30X? If it's anything like the Delorean (which also used stainless steel panels), It won't be rust proof.

Tesla Cybertruck What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase? 1592619379053

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
As I live in Japan, there are not that many Tesla SuperCharger stations. However, there are many EV-charging stations at numerous locations across Japan.

Will the route planner feature include these locations? Or, will I be forced to use my iPhone to find the EV (CHAdeMO) chargers?
Sponsored