Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Operator
Country flag
I travel to South Central Ohio occasionally, and chargers are few and far between. 500+ miles should keep me moving, but still not comfortable with the idea.
Having a bed opens up some possibilities.

My thoughts are to throw a Pure Sine Wave gas generator, with 220V, in the Vault as an emergency backup. I hear Teslas are picky about sine wave cleanliness, so a Pure wave would probably be best. It would take a couple hours at 220, but it's better than a tow.

Obviously using gas as a backup will upset some "purist", but I don't care.

I could use the generator around the house, and camping, so it wouldn't be solely for travel...

Anything more I should be looking at for this plan?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
When the fires began in Northern California and PG&E started doing Public Safety Power Shutoffs we decided to install a whole home backup generator, not because we necessarily needed the whole house powered but because I wanted to ensure that we could charge our Tesla (I waited in a long line to get gas for my hybrid before the pumps turned off and donā€™t want to go through that again). The generator hasnā€™t been live tested yet because we havenā€™t had another PSPS since it was installed but our situation is similar to yours. Just make sure that it is a generator capable of producing power at the level you need for charging and is rated for car charging.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
pĢ¶rĢ¶iĢ¶uĢ¶sĢ¶ cĢ¶,Ģ¶ yĢ¶oĢ¶tĢ¶aĢ¶ pĢ¶iĢ¶cĢ¶kĢ¶uĢ¶p, ā¼•äø«ā»?å°ŗć‚»å°ŗć„©ā¼•é•æ
Country flag
When the fires began in Northern California and PG&E started doing Public Safety Power Shutoffs we decided to install a whole home backup generator, not because we necessarily needed the whole house powered but because I wanted to ensure that we could charge our Tesla (I waited in a long line to get gas for my hybrid before the pumps turned off and donā€™t want to go through that again). The generator hasnā€™t been live tested yet because we havenā€™t had another PSPS since it was installed but our situation is similar to yours. Just make sure that it is a generator capable of producing power at the level you need for charging and is rated for car charging.
You should turn off mains power and try it. Know how to fish before you are forced to fish.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You should turn off mains power and try it. Know how to fish before you are forced to fish.
I think it was ā€˜Liveā€™ tested when installed and it self tests every week, but it hasnā€™t been really tested yet. I like the fishing metaphor. Thanks.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I travel to South Central Ohio occasionally, and chargers are few and far between. 500+ miles should keep me moving, but still not comfortable with the idea.
Having a bed opens up some possibilities.

My thoughts are to throw a Pure Sine Wave gas generator, with 220V, in the Vault as an emergency backup. I hear Teslas are picky about sine wave cleanliness, so a Pure wave would probably be best. It would take a couple hours at 220, but it's better than a tow.

Obviously using gas as a backup will upset some "purist", but I don't care.

I could use the generator around the house, and camping, so it wouldn't be solely for travel...

Anything more I should be looking at for this plan?
I find it hard to believe that 500 miles canā€™t get you to another charger. I drove a Chevy bolt from NNY to Charleston WV, and then returned. The worst state for fast charging was WV, where there wasnā€™t a single place. However, there are Tesla Superchargers there.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I find it hard to believe that 500 miles canā€™t get you to another charger. I drove a Chevy bolt from NNY to Charleston WV, and then returned. The worst state for fast charging was WV, where there wasnā€™t a single place. However, there are Tesla Superchargers there.
Note the circle, which is 300 miles from a charger in the center of the state.

Tesla Cybertruck Generator Charging 753D098F-1F26-43D8-89CD-B95B5547CC66

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The biggest downside is most EVs will not let you charge while it is in 'drive', so you will have to stop to recharge...

As for Southern Ohio, where you going that you can get 200 miles away from a charger?
Tesla Superchargers
Tesla Cybertruck Generator Charging Ohio_tesla_superchargers_20200621

Plugshare reported charging locations
Tesla Cybertruck Generator Charging Ohio_plugshare_20200621

I am not saying you cannot get that far from a charger right now, just more curious... And I am sure by the time Tesla starts shipping the Cybertruck, more will be added.

OP
OP

Newmanr12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Operator
Country flag
The biggest downside is most EVs will not let you charge while it is in 'drive', so you will have to stop to recharge...

As for Southern Ohio, where you going that you can get 200 miles away from a charger?
Tesla Superchargers
Ohio_tesla_superchargers_20200621.png

Plugshare reported charging locations
Ohio_plugshare_20200621.png

I am not saying you cannot get that far from a charger right now, just more curious... And I am sure by the time Tesla starts shipping the Cybertruck, more will be added.
Huntington West Virginia would be the closest super charger, which would be >120 miles round trip. Having 220V to charge up at my parents or the camp I stay at would be more convenient than driving 2 hours to charge.

I am hoping more are added, but it's not likely one will be added within 50 miles of where I am going.

OP
OP

Newmanr12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Operator
Country flag
You're technically right, with 500+ miles I could spend 2 hours driving to and from the nearest charger. I'm afraid you misunderstood the intent of the post. I appreciate the response, but I was really seeking advice about using a generator, not getting to a charger.

OP
OP

Newmanr12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Operator
Country flag
You're technically right, with 500+ miles I could spend 2 hours driving to and from the nearest charger. I'm afraid you misunderstood the intent of the post. I appreciate the response, but I was really seeking advice about using a generator, not getting to a charger.
Tesla Cybertruck Generator Charging Screenshot_20200621-114602~2

Tesla Cybertruck Generator Charging Screenshot_20200621-114417

Dento

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Not every one will have the 500 miles battery that is why when using a generator would work

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I appreciate the response, but I was really seeking advice about using a generator, not getting to a charger.
There used to be a caveat against generator charging in the manual but a search for "generator" in it now turns up nothing. I think the earlier cautions probably had something to do with the earth/neutral issue with the mobile charger. The UMC looks for voltage between earth and a hot and if it doesn't find it concludes that the generator is not grounded and won't charge the car. There is a bit of codesmanship concerning bonding of earth and neutral at the generator (my electrician did it wrong) which requires an adapter with some generators. As to the waverorm; it's rectified? Who cares whether it is pure sine or modified sine?

There is one very good reason not to charge with a generator though and that is cost. A kWh from the utililty costs me about 6 cents. From the generator it is almost $2.00!

As for the need: it is hard to imagine running into trouble in the CONUS but I am sure with enough effort it could be done. Remember that you can charge anywhere you can find a 120V outlet though charging rates are not very spectacular. Remember that you can also charge at any campground that has trailer hookups and that many businesses have Destination Chargers and that there are CHAdeMO stations and J1772 stations in addition to Tesla station.

Keep in mind that every new BEV owner starts out with a pretty heavy case of range anxiety. By the end of a few months running around that should be gone. I still travel with a huge assortment of extension cords and adapters acquired in my early Tesla days. I have never used any of them except the CHAdeMO and that mostly in parts of Canada that don't have Super Chargers.

OP
OP

Newmanr12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Operator
Country flag
There used to be a caveat against generator charging in the manual but a search for "generator" in it now turns up nothing. I think the earlier cautions probably had something to do with the earth/neutral issue with the mobile charger. The UMC looks for voltage between earth and a hot and if it doesn't find it concludes that the generator is not grounded and won't charge the car. There is a bit of codesmanship concerning bonding of earth and neutral at the generator (my electrician did it wrong) which requires an adapter with some generators. As to the waverorm; it's rectified? Who cares whether it is pure sine or modified sine?

There is one very good reason not to charge with a generator though and that is cost. A kWh from the utililty costs me about 6 cents. From the generator it is almost $2.00!

As for the need: it is hard to imagine running into trouble in the CONUS but I am sure with enough effort it could be done. Remember that you can charge anywhere you can find a 120V outlet though charging rates are not very spectacular. Remember that you can also charge at any campground that has trailer hookups and that many businesses have Destination Chargers and that there are CHAdeMO stations and J1772 stations in addition to Tesla station.

Keep in mind that every new BEV owner starts out with a pretty heavy case of range anxiety. By the end of a few months running around that should be gone. I still travel with a huge assortment of extension cords and adapters acquired in my early Tesla days. I have never used any of them except the CHAdeMO and that mostly in parts of Canada that don't have Super Chargers.
Thanks for the reply. I had read there were early troubles charging with a generator that some had thought was due to cleanliness of the wave, but it's entirely possible that it was actually ground issues...
Sponsored