Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
What voltage do think this will run at? Will Tesla try 800V for higher charging?
Sponsored

PanMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybor Truck on Order
Country flag
Personally I am less worried about the battery voltage bus and more worried about the local charging. Myself like many people who order this truck work have access to 277 volt power. This is a common industrial voltage as it derived from 480-volt 3-phase power, 277 is single phase from the 480-volt system. Charging with 277-volt would save myself allot of money when I setup for charging at work.
I understand Tesla at one time supported 277-volt, however the current home charging system doesn’t.
Anyone else planning to use 277 if available??

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
What voltage do think this will run at? Will Tesla try 800V for higher charging?
It will run and charge at 400 volts. Rearranging the batteries from 2n blocks in parallel to 2 block of n in series with contactors for charging (Rivian has a patent on this) would allow half the current and the misery that goes with liquid cooled charging cables so they might consider that at some time in the future but it seems that they are currently multiplying charging speed in the Semi with multiple charging ports i.e. split the battery into 2 separate 400 V blocks and charge each from a separate port. I hope they do that on the CT as I have two HPWC in my garage which implies double charging speed at home too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
. Myself like many people who order this truck work have access to 277 volt power. This is a common industrial voltage as it derived from 480-volt 3-phase power, 277 is single phase from the 480-volt system. Charging with 277-volt would save myself allot of money when I setup for charging at work.
I understand Tesla at one time supported 277-volt, however the current home charging system doesn’t.
The obvious thing to do is buy a step down transformer like this one:
https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...0-240/Acme/TC535173S/product.aspx?zpid=246303

Note that it is sized at 15 kVA (which, derated to 80%, is 12 kVA - more than the 11.52 KVA the HPWC draws) but note also that it costs $1.3K. This is a single phase unit. If indeed the CT turns out to have 2 ports you might want to get a second one of these or a 3 phase 480/240 split phase transformer of this capacity.

But I'm guessing your facility already has a step down transformer for lights (lights might be higher voltage) but definitely for computers, microwaves, coffee pots, desk lamps etc. Sounds like time to call in the plant electrician.
Sponsored