Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Once production starts going, they don’t want much inventory lying around. Ideally they pull it from the gigapress and 45 minutes later it rolls off as a truck. Cooling times might slow that a bit, but they don’t want big piles of anything half-finished lying around, thats just stuff to break and stuff to manage.

There are usually piles of test castings lying around prior to production as they get the process dialed in.
Yeah but you have to agree that this is the initial process to dial in the press... make lots of castings, make lots of corrections...toss out castings to be remelted
Sponsored

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, no and yes.

No, you can't just melt it down and reuse it. The proportions of the elements in it changes when cast. That needs to be rebalanced to reuse it.

But yes, it can be recycled, and Tesla has prior said they plan to have on-site recycling at some point. Once you know what elements get consumed at what rates and create easy ways to test the metal that it's meeting these, you can plan and reform the metal with minimal inputs.

That point isn't now, though. Right now it needs to go back, be chopped, melted, tested, elements rebalanced, remelted, and return to the factory as billets.

-Crissa
I agree, but didn't Joe T. show in one of his recent videos the "cones" for the mixing machine to "rebalance" the metal? The reason I say this is because Tesla doesn't use the raw steel they receive without putting in their special sauce to it to get the properties they need and want for their vehicles. Please correct me if I'm wrong... trying to learn here.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I agree, but didn't Joe T. show in one of his recent videos the "cones" for the mixing machine to "rebalance" the metal? The reason I say this is because Tesla doesn't use the raw steel they receive without putting in their special sauce to it to get the properties they need and want for their vehicles. Please correct me if I'm wrong... trying to learn here.
Not that I know of. SpaceX doesn't have any steel annealing equipment. I don't think Tesla does anything to the steel, either. They have a recipe, which they hand to the foundry, and the foundry follows it.

-Crissa

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not that I know of. SpaceX doesn't have any steel annealing equipment. I don't think Tesla does anything to the steel, either. They have a recipe, which they hand to the foundry, and the foundry follows it.

-Crissa
Just found the video... 19 Jan he talks about the Zepplin mixing silo.... check it out.

Just looked again... wrong one... this was for 4680's.... ooppss will keep looking about the steel.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just found the video... 19 Jan he talks about the Zepplin mixing silo.... check it out.

Just looked again... wrong one... this was for 4680's.... ooppss will keep looking about the steel.
Well, if he spotted them this week, that would indicate they hadn't yet used them.

-Crissa

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, if he spotted them this week, that would indicate they hadn't yet used them.

-Crissa
'Intriguingly, recent comments from San Patricio County Judge David Krebs have suggested that Tesla will "redo" the steel it will receive from SDI, at least before it can be used for the Cybertruck's exoskeleton.'

This is what I was referring to... There are videos out there saying the same thing... what are they talking about then?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
'Intriguingly, recent comments from San Patricio County Judge David Krebs have suggested that Tesla will "redo" the steel it will receive from SDI, at least before it can be used for the Cybertruck's exoskeleton.'

This is what I was referring to... There are videos out there saying the same thing... what are they talking about then?
Since then, Steel Dynamics has said specifically that they are **Not** currently a Tesla supplier.

I think Krebs made up a story to make a fairly boring thing *They were getting a new steel mill* into something exciting: “A key Tesla supplier is moving into our county!”.

So… you can take anything you heard from him and toss it into the shitcan. He had us all fooled. Kind of an epic troll.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also 'plans to do' and 'does' or 'did' are different things.

As I said, they plan to recycle the aluminum. Have they? Not to my knowledge, they haven't mentioned it on earnings calls as a reduced input or cost yet.

They plan to build with this new steel. So far, though, they've been using SpaceX extra, and SpaceX doesn't rework their steel on site except in the production of tanks. They have it specifically made by a company that specializes in custom steel. It might be that they'll take the 3mm rolls and then roll out the 1-2mm pieces they need from that, too. But they aren't there yet, and haven't done it.

Just like they don't have the bigger gigacasting machine yet... we just happened to know they already ordered it and it was shipped over six months ago (so where is it?)

-Crissa

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Just like they don't have the bigger gigacasting machine yet... we just happened to know they already ordered it and it was shipped over six months ago (so where is it?)

-Crissa
I haven't heard anywhere that it has "Shipped", only that Tesla "Ordered" it back in March 2021. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-giga-press-video/

IDRA supposedly built a prototype of the 8K Giga Press. But for a production version, IDRA would have to have their suppliers build the components as well as some in-house production of parts, assemble it, test it, unassemble and then ship to Texas.

We just have no idea how the global part shortages have hit IDRA and their suppliers.

We recently saw the Bridge Crane Rails being delivered for the Cybertruck Giga Press Bay so we should be getting close (between today and the next 6 months???) lol

Last edited:

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
The Tegtmeyer video this morning showed 3 GigaPresses installed, some parts for the fourth one (also 6K tons), and no parts yet (in Austin anyhow) for an 8K ton GigaPress.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Fake news. Tesla is not ready to produce anything for the CyberTruck until they finish the Engineering.

Check back in about 12 months to see if they are making progress on the engineering side.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag

SADLY, Since then, Steel Dynamics has said specifically that they are **Not** currently a Tesla supplier.

Some of these rumors, are just that. Rumors. Which can turn out to be wrong.

CyberTruck news should be there is no news. Wait until at least the end of 2022 to listen to any rumors about 2023.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
CyberTruck news should be there is no news. Wait until at least the end of 2022 to listen to any rumors about 2023.
Just watch and root for the Texas/ Berlin Model Y ramp up; and the 4680 cell line in Texas ramp up. The faster Model Y production in those facilities ramps up, the sooner we see them turn their eyes to the Cybertruck.
Sponsored