Any warranty issue when installing my own sound system in my Cybertruck?

bimerguy

First Name
cw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberturck to be
Country flag
If I want to install my own sound system (Speakers, Sub, Amp) when I receive my CT...
1) Will it void any warranty?
2) Can it be done as reasonably easy as typical new vehicles or is it next to impossible since not Tesla sound system?
3) will Tesla sound output easily feed other systems? Kinda expect it will with Bluetooth, etc but, want experienced Tesla owners advice.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
If I want to install my own sound system (Speakers, Sub, Amp) when I receive my CT...
2) Can it be done as reasonably easy as typical new vehicles or is it next to impossible since not Tesla sound system?
3) will Tesla sound output easily feed other systems? Kinda expect it will with Bluetooth, etc but, want experienced Tesla owners advice.
Teslas have great sound and the CT may have really great sound. It seems premature to already be planning on shit canning the stock system. Having said that, I don't think it'd be easy to upgrade the amp, for sure. I'd bet you'd be having to use the speaker wires as an input to the amp rather than the Red/White connectors that are more typically used. The speakers could probably be replaced but in my MY, they are already really good speakers. I can't imagine finding speakers with such better quality that it would be worth replacing them. The sub... Now, base is always the weak point, it seems. However, without a clear amp signal, you would be basically just making loud noise rather than actual pleasing sound.

I would deem this endeavor unnecessary and probably quite a bit more difficult than a vehicle with a regular double DIN radio replacement/amp install. I was a radio installer for a place called Circuit City back in the very early 90's... I'm 100% certain things are different these days.

OP
OP

bimerguy

First Name
cw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberturck to be
Country flag
Teslas have great sound and the CT may have really great sound. It seems premature to already be planning on shit canning the stock system. Having said that, I don't think it'd be easy to upgrade the amp, for sure. I'd bet you'd be having to use the speaker wires as an input to the amp rather than the Red/White connectors that are more typically used. The speakers could probably be replaced but in my MY, they are already really good speakers. I can't imagine finding speakers with such better quality that it would be worth replacing them. The sub... Now, base is always the weak point, it seems. However, without a clear amp signal, you would be basically just making loud noise rather than actual pleasing sound.

I would deem this endeavor unnecessary and probably quite a bit more difficult than a vehicle with a regular double DIN radio replacement/amp install. I was a radio installer for a place called Circuit City back in the very early 90's... I'm 100% certain things are different these days.
Good advice. Are your comments based on a Standard Sound System with Base model or an upgrade? And do you have a Tesla with upgrade or standard system?

Migizi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
prius XL
Country flag
Planning to replace a sound system on perhaps the most sofisticated and trechnologically advanced automobile in the world almost two years before its release? I know I would void your warranty just for speaking such blasphemy.

on another note - WHY? Tesla’s sound system is better than BMW’s antiquated technology... and yes, I have had several BMW’s.

OK, I’m done busting your chops, but seriously, why?

Last edited:
OP
OP

bimerguy

First Name
cw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberturck to be
Country flag
Please understand I've not had a Tesla and don't know what the standard offer is for base model and if upgrade sounds system is over priced I'm considering my options to get the best value for my money.

So, does a Tesla base vehicle price include a good sound system?

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I think by virtue of the car starting out so quiet, ANY sound system already has a big advantage.
There is no factory radio to replace though and no slot where one would go.
So, you’d need to find a place to install it, then run wires for power, speakers and an antenna, then figure out where the antenna will mount and the wires will be routed as well as s-rakers. Presumably, there are speakers, so you could use those spaces and/or tap into the existing speakers.
Then you need to consider that it won’t be tied to the touchscreen... Will you also need an amplifier? How many speakers?I If you do this, what about the car’s own sound? The games and other interface items, chimes, bells and the like will still Lao need something to play through.
I’m sure you xould do it, but it would be a custom fabrication for mounting and would likely void your warranty.

I had not considered the idea of upgrading the “sound system” until this thread and it is a fair point. We are waiting for a Model 3 (the entry-level version) now; I wonder if the speakers or any other components are better from a higher end model (any- S, 3, X, Y) And could be fitted?

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I expect the sound system of the CyberTruck will be equal to or better than what is in my
wife's 2018 Model 3, Premium Sound system. It really "Kicks", I can hear her pulling up to the house before she hits the driveway.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Please understand I've not had a Tesla and don't know what the standard offer is for base model and if upgrade sounds system is over priced I'm considering my options to get the best value for my money.

So, does a Tesla base vehicle price include a good sound system?
My understanding is that they did have base and upgrade systems early on but have done away with it because most early buyers were upgrading and the base components were just extra inventory to track, which Elon hates, so I believe all vehicles just get the equivalent of the upgraded system now.

So yeah, you may not even need to upgrade. Lots of Tesla Twitter talk about how good the system is and that they wouldnt bother upgrading for the cost/trouble.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Planning to replace a sound system on perhaps the most sofisticated and trechnologically advanced automobile in the world almost two years before its release? I know I would void your warranty just for speaking such blasphemy.

on another note - WHY? Tesla’s sound system is better than BMW’s antiquated technology... and yes, I have had several BMW’s.

OK, I’m done busting your chops, but seriously, why?

"Blasphemy" LOL

I don't often come to the defense of my BMW F31, but I will say that the optional Harman Kardon system has superb sound. 16 speakers, clean bass, etc etc etc. Absolutely worth the extra $900.

I often hear that the Tesla sounds systems are very good. I hope hope hope the CT has a very good stereo system. If not, sometimes just swapping in better quality speakers can have a huge affect.

I remember the days when you bought a car and spent $2000 to get an "ok" sounding system. Things have really come along since then. Most optional available systems are quite good, if not excellent, such as the HK system in the BMWs.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Several people have commented on how good the system that comes with the car is but no one has mentioned that the volume control goes up to 11! (that's an exclamation point - not a factorial).

Note that there used to be an optional "premium" sound system offered but no more.

I too wonder why anyone would want to install a fancier sound system. The music available these days is so muddied by the compression algorithms that real high fidelity in the amplifiers and speakers doesn't seem justified.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Several people have commented on how good the system that comes with the car is but no one has mentioned that the volume control goes up to 11! (that's an exclamation point - not a factorial).

Note that there used to be an optional "premium" sound system offered but no more.

11 is louder than 10, right?!

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

I too wonder why anyone would want to install a fancier sound system. The music available these days is so muddied by the compression algorithms that real high fidelity in the amplifiers and speakers doesn't seem justified.
But why not just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number?
Sponsored