Power liftgate and power ramp? Yay or nay?

MrTofuDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Country flag
Awhile back I saw that the 2019 Chevy Silverado had an optional power liftgate.

I thought it'd be a handy feature for Cybertruck so I tweeted Elon about it (spoiler: he didn't respond). As far as I could tell from the unveil video stream and Jay Leno video, the vault cover is automated, but the liftgate and ramp are manual.

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were. Would a power liftgate and/or power ramp on the Cybertruck be a useful option? Should Tesla consider adding as an option or include standard on high end trims? Is it too cost prohibitive for little material usage gain? What do you think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm going to go with a Nay.
I've closed my gate enough times with bits of gravel or something wedged in there and won't want a motor grinding away and jamming things up when unnecessary. Besides I'd still grab the gate and give it a jiggle to make sure it's secure as with my current manual gate.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I'll also go with a Nay. But, it would be great if it were spring assisted so it's not so heavy.

(Yes, I know spring assist doesn't ACTUALLY make it lighter but rather just requires less force by me to close.)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Even though my Lexus automated tailgate stopped working after 8 years the auto lock on the tailgate still works and I like that. So a power tailgate is a nice option but a powered lock would be very nice. Could we at least get it damped so it doesn’t slam open?

OP
OP
MrTofuDragon

MrTofuDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even though my Lexus automated tailgate stopped working after 8 years the auto lock on the tailgate still works and I like that. So a power tailgate is a nice option but a powered lock would be very nice. Could we at least get it damped so it doesn’t slam open?
I like this idea. Powered lock to do the last inch or so and verify that it's secure. And to avoid the need to slam it every time.

OP
OP
MrTofuDragon

MrTofuDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm going to go with a Nay.
I've closed my gate enough times with bits of gravel or something wedged in there and won't want a motor grinding away and jamming things up when unnecessary. Besides I'd still grab the gate and give it a jiggle to make sure it's secure as with my current manual gate.
Hmm, good point. I don't have a truck so this kind of real world experience is insightful. Kind of makes me wonder if they've thought of how to handle stuff like gravel in the vault cover tread since that is power open/close.

Last edited:

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I hear and understand all of the reasons for the "nay"'s. But.... Wouldn't it be SUPER cool if as you pulled up to the CT on your Cyberquad and the tonneau cover opened, the tailgate lowered, the ramp extended while the suspension lowered in the back?
That would be an awesome use case scenario!!!

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I'm all yay for both a powered liftgate and ramp. To me, CT is a sports-luxury truck so these are must-haves.

OP
OP
MrTofuDragon

MrTofuDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm all yay for both a powered liftgate and ramp. To me, CT is a sports-luxury truck so these are must-haves.
I tend to agree. But I also see where others are coming from and may see the truck more as a work tool. Which is why it made sense to me if these features were options. There for those who wanted the extra pizzazz and optional for those who could care less. For the high trim TriMotor though, it'd be awesome if these were standard (because that's what I'm getting :p ).

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
I don't think it's needed. One more thing to break. I'm already worried about the sliding cover getting jammed up.

I also hope they finally make a Frunk you can slam closed without "properly" closing it after reading a manual on how to close it. The fact that you can dent or crease the hood by doing it wrong on an S, X, 3, Y is one of Tesla's dumbest design flaws for such a smartly designed set of vehicles.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I don't think it's needed. One more thing to break. I'm already worried about the sliding cover getting jammed up.

I also hope they finally make a Frunk you can slam closed without "properly" closing it after reading a manual on how to close it. The fact that you can dent or crease the hood by doing it wrong on an S, X, 3, Y is one of Tesla's dumbest design flaws for such a smartly designed set of vehicles.
We're not going to be able to dent the hood with our hands, while closing it, if it's in fact 3mm stainless steel.

CT hood for the win on this problem!

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hear and understand all of the reasons for the "nay"'s. But.... Wouldn't it be SUPER cool if as you pulled up to the CT on your Cyberquad and the tonneau cover opened, the tailgate lowered, the ramp extended while the suspension lowered in the back?
Why?

OP
OP
MrTofuDragon

MrTofuDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
:p
"Because it's badass and super cool." -Elon Musk from Jay Leno video

I think that as realistic and everyday workhorse as we all want the Cybertruck to be, it's also okay to dream about even more cool features. Not having to get off your CyberQuad to load it up is pretty badass and would blow people's minds even more beyond the truck itself.
Sponsored