Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR. Some project cars, some bikes
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
Torsion Bar assisted electric powered screwed actuators. Sounds like Optimus has left a hand in the tail gating tech dept... 😉
Was my very first thought this morning. What is the actual development here...low mass/low cost actuators, supposedly...given the volume of actuator work done so far for Optimus, can that be unrelated...?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Frankly, I would go for that. SUV, could afford to be a little shorter too. Y and X were never my cuppa tea.

Edit: My Rivian reservation was R1S even though I wanted the R1T spare and pass through.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Torsion Bar assisted electric powered screwed actuators. Sounds like Optimus has left a hand in the tail gating tech dept... 😉
9000lb lift (450kg)

If that's not built tough !!!

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
This 2019 GM power lift gate is well thought out.
  • 63 cubic feet
  • 500 MPa floor strength ["1 MPa is equal to 1,000,000 Pa. 1 Pa is a pressure that a force of 1 Newton makes on 1 square meter. 1 MPa is therefore a pressure that 1,000,000 Netwons make on 1 square meter of surface area. --- 1 MPa is also equal to 145 psi."]
  • 12 (3 levels per corner) fixed tie downs each rated at 500 lbs (!) [6 in CT?]
  • Clever 2 tier loading system
  • Bed lighting from corners
Maybe some kind of electrical motor with a screw drive?

Seems like a lot of torque needed for lifting so much weight with a short arm.
Well both Ford (below) and GM (above) already have powered tailgates where the lifting mechanism is not visible so it must not be rocket science ;)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I see a ramp with that design. The stop points of the piston seem to indicate two axial points - one at the OG Cybertruck's downcast position, and one at the standard level position.

I say the ramp is still there.
The downward tailgate position would be nice even without the ramp.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
The top hat on the tailgate is plastic.
if thats the case, they either intended to sell a bunch of replacements OR its not going to hit the ground. OR they have only tested this on a surface that does not reflected the reality of where and when ramps get used.

I don’t know that I would read this much into this patent. This is a powered tailgate patent. This is NOT a complete tailgate construction patent. To patent the powered portion doesn’t require definition of everything held within the tailgate.

There may be a separate patent coming for an “extending tailgate”, which may, or may not, be powered as well. And if that patent shows up one day, it does not require that it shows the powered portion that we see here.

IF they included the ramp in this set of drawings, they might open themselves up to someone else patenting a powered tailgate that DOESN’T have a ramp. With this drawing, they appear to be saying this applies to a “generic” tailgate.

There seem to be a lot of people that are willing to throw everything out at the slightest whim. But I’m not sure this is the right feature and the right intel to cause that conclusion.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
This makes Jim Farley's point about the kind of people the Cybertruck is made for.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Power Liftgate Patent Published -- operated by smart phone or wireless key fob soyboy

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
The top hat on the tailgate is plastic.
if thats the case, they either intended to sell a bunch of replacements OR its not going to hit the ground. OR they have only tested this on a surface that does not reflected the reality of where and when ramps get used.
Tophat of the tailgate should be plastic. They are plastic for most pickups. That's because so many long items (2x4's,plumbing pipes, etc) are placed inside the bed that rest in the top of the tailgate. The top hat being plastic allows for it to be easily and cheaply replaced if it gets damaged,the plastic has a bit more give than metal, and isn't painted(no concerns about being scratched).

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I don't think there will be a midgate from all the more educated person's reviews of the data available so far. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the rear window doesn't slide down, Ala Tayota Tundra style. And, I'd be really happy with that.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I don't think there will be a midgate from all the more educated person's reviews of the data available so far. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the rear window doesn't slide down, Ala Tayota Tundra style. And, I'd be really happy with that.
As long as I can slide through the opened rear window to get to the bed, I will be happy with that. I just hope it isn't a super narrow window which will prevent access to most average size adults.
Sponsored