Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Cybertruckin Magazine contributor
Country flag
Not sure if this conversation has happened yet, so here we go... I spend a lot of time cruising down the road with my hand in the 6 o'clock position on the wheel and my arm relaxed, this would not be possible with the Cybertruck steering wheel from the reveal. With that game controller steering device, to have your hands on the wheel you are going to be in a 9/3 or 10/2 grip when your hands are on the wheel. I know FSD! Is any on else interested in a full steering wheel?
Sponsored

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Not sure if this conversation has happened yet, so here we go... I spend a lot of time cruising down the road with my hand in the 6 o'clock position on the wheel and my arm relaxed, this would not be possible with the Cybertruck steering wheel from the reveal. With that game controller steering device, to have your hands on the wheel you are going to be in a 9/3 or 10/2 grip when your hands are on the wheel. I know FSD! Is any on else interested in a full steering wheel?
I grew up with 10 & 2 but now I hear its 9 & 3 because of airbags. My brother was a Paramedic for 32 years and he would hammer the young EMT's when they were allowed to drive the unit "10 & 2" was his mantra over and over again. Better control of the situation. The 6 o'clock hardly leaves any room for control when TSHTF. Personally I want a Round steering WHEEL, you can grab it at any contact point, going forward or reverse and get'er done.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I drive almost always with 1 hand at 12. if they put the weird non complete circle steering wheel I will immediately remove it. I tryd racing with 1, almost crashed because muscle memory.
those partial wheels r fine for cars where u dont have to turn the wheel more than say 90degrees

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yes, this topic has come up before, but that’s ok. I have been paying attention, lately, to how much wheel rotation is needed for turning, and it seems as though a 90-degree turn requires me to turn the wheel 180 degrees. It is also the case, when reversing and, in particular, when backing a trailer or boat, that I drive at 12 o’clock, whereas while highway driving more like 6 o’clock. Neither of those work well with a yoke, but otherwise I like the look of the yoke.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I was told Tesla concept vehicles all use the airplane yoke steering wheel. It will not be there in production.
You win the prize. It's going to be a normal steering wheel, possibly the fancy integrated haptic screens they patented a few months back.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I'd prefer the yoke.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
I would like to see a Joystick style controller, like one used in many aircraft. Sandy Munro show a concept he proposed years ago.
I’m in the whole steering wheel camp but this would be cool. Only problem is most people would have a hard time learning to use their left hand or opposite for a lefty depending on the side it’s installed.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The removal of the steering wheel will have to take place over time. Just trying to imagine it is a bit scary to me, even if the functionality was still there. I’ve lived my entire life with a friggen steering wheel in the car, and then suddenly nothing? Culture shock!

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I’m in the whole steering wheel camp but this would be cool. Only problem is most people would have a hard time learning to use their left hand or opposite for a lefty depending on the side it’s installed.
If it’s a joystic, it will be installed in the middle. Same position for all models.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No need to re-invent the wheel. 'Gimme a round one...cep't maybe a bit flat on the bottom.

CybertruckCovers

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cybertruckcovers.com
Vehicles
Foundation Series CyberBeast (Order Confirmed)
Occupation
Cybertruck Parts & Accessories Development
Country flag
I think the Cybertruck will probably have a steering wheel that resembles the one in the Corvette C8. It won't be a yoke, but it may not be totally round in shape.

Tesla Cybertruck full steering wheel? 2020-zerv-pre-reveal-c8-1562954683

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think the Cybertruck will probably have a steering wheel that resembles the one in the Corvette C8. It won't be a yoke, but it may not be totally round in shape.

2020-zerv-pre-reveal-c8-1562954683.jpg
There are a few issues with this one. It might be ok in a Corvette but for long-distance driving, backing up, or trailer moving the flat sides will be super uncomfortable. You'd almost be better off with a butterfly design (though that would be dangerous). It will likely be a full circle.
Sponsored