Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
Thank you for that advice and I am glad that you still have use of your right eye. Scary! What should we use in place of bungee cords?
use ratchet straps- they have come down a lot in price- just picked up 4 for $15 CAD
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
use ratchet straps- they have come down a lot in price- just picked up 4 for $15 CAD
I have lots of those, and several Gumby things, but there are situations that are really suited for bungees, like holding down garbage can lids.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I have lots of those, and several Gumby things, but there are situations that are really suited for bungees, like holding down garbage can lids.
I guess if you don't stretch them more than 50% of their length (says that on the label) and don't be afraid to wear safety glasses- I have bought about 10 extra pairs, some with bifocals lol.

OP
OP

moefren2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
ā€œbefore you buy a piece, imagine you couldnā€™t show or tell anyone about it - not on the forums, not at a meet-up, not even peeking out under your shirt cuff. If youā€™d still buy it then, *maybe* itā€™s worth buying.ā€
Good quote!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Deeply subjective for sure!
I have friends make a Cybertruck of pay every 3 years, and friends that make a Cybertruck of pay every three business days.

Folks that never think about retirement, and folks who view every $150 they spend (or save) as another day of retirement they lose (or gain).

But common to them ~all, is expecting to receive what theyā€™re sold.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have friends make a Cybertruck of pay every 3 years, and friends that make a Cybertruck of pay every three business days.

Folks that never think about retirement, and folks who view every $150 they spend (or save) as another day of retirement they lose (or gain).

But common to them ~all, is expecting to receive what theyā€™re sold.
I am not following on what ā€œCybertruck of payā€ means but definitely agree that we should all receive what we pay for.

I was recently swindled out of some money by a Chinese company selling waterproof shoes and advertising here. They took my money and never sent the shoes. I tried to cancel the order and they laughed at me - actually called me dumb. It was a $100 learning experience. Iā€™d have been much more upset had it been 10x that amount or more.

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
Watched a podcast recently and one of the guests mentioned how he thinks people buying a Cybertruck are probably overspending on what they can afford. Or CT buyers are thinking they can make money from making YouTube videos or renting their cars on Turo to justify the costs.

What percentage of people are going above their budget just to afford the FS CT?
I am definitely going way over what would be normal for my salary.
I have to sell all three of my vehicles (which are owned and paid off) and get a 10-20k loan to pay for the truck OTD.
As a car enthusiast, I love my vehicles and hate having to sell them. But Iā€™m such a huge Tesla fan and been waiting for the Cybertruck for so long.
I still have a mortgage that has about 10yrs left on it and I pay $500 extra to the principal every month. With the small loan for the rest of the truck, I wonā€™t be able to do that anymore.
Itā€™s not the smartest decision by far, but you only live once.

Last edited:

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I am definitely going way over what would be normal for my salary.
I have to sell all three of my vehicles (which are owned and paid off) and get a 10-20k loan to pay for the truck OTD.
Ad a car enthusiast, love my vehicles and hate having to sell them. But I such a huge Tesla fan and been waiting for the Cybertruck for so long.
I still have a mortgage that has about 10yrs left on it and I pay $500 extra to the principal every month. With the small loan for the rest of the truck, I wonā€™t be able to do that anymore.
Itā€™s not the smartest decision by far, but you only live once.
I hear you my friend! Itā€™s a hard choice for us. Iā€™m selling my Porsche, Airstream, and Ducati Monster. All are paid off. I never in my wildest dreams thought Iā€™ll sell my motorcycle but that 20K extra for FS has to come from somewhere. If Iā€™m not able to sell them on time, I might have to cancel FS order before VIN gets assigned. Itā€™s financially not a wise decision to own all these toys while getting CT, even if we can afford it.

Teslaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S P85
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
I balked originally at the 110K cost (after tax and lic) for the AWD FS. But decided to cash in a portion of my TSLA shares to generate the cash, I see poetry in that.

YDR37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Tiffany and Gucci have a very nice niche marketing strategy and the buyers they have gladly pay for their products.

But Tiffany and Gucci don't desire to reach mass markets or the average consumer.
The Cybertruck may well find a similar "very nice niche", as a luxury product for wealthy consumers. But even if it does, it will be a disappointment given the hopes and expectations for a mass-market product that an average consumer could afford. For example, the following statement, made by Musk in 2019, has not aged well:
ā€œWe donā€™t want it to be really expensive. I think itā€™s got to start at less than $50,000, itā€™s got to be like $49,000 starting price, maximum, ideally less. ā€¦ Itā€™s got to be something thatā€™s affordable. There will be versions of the truck that are more expensive, but youā€™ve got to be able to get a really great truck for $49,000, or less.ā€

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Financial experts answer this question by using a simple rule of thumb: Car buyers should spend no more than 10% of their take-home pay on a car loan payment and no more than 20% for total car expenses, which also includes things like gas, insurance, repairs and maintenance.
Financial experts are dumb. I've never paid less than 20% take-home on a car payment. It's like saying people should pay 30% on a home, while all the rents are 50% of your income. You can't not pay it.

Of course, I can decide not to buy the truck, and buy something cheaper. But when I was poor, the choices were not so great.

-Crissa

donnyb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Foundation AWD, Model Y
Country flag
For me, $100k is a lot of money for a vehicle. I started saving in 2019 when the Cybertruck was first announced as a retirement gift to myself. I put money into Tesla stock and saved to pay cash for the tri-motor. I figured that $80k was what I was going to pay. The Foundation Series was released at $100k for AWD, which was outside my projected budget. I got the invite to configure on 12/8 and did some soul searching and on 12/22 I decided to go for it. I am planning on keeping the Cybertruck for a while or selling it after the first year. I'll see how it plays out. I would never strap myself with a high car payment.

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
I hear you my friend! Itā€™s a hard choice for us. Iā€™m selling my Porsche, Airstream, and Ducati Monster. All are paid off. I never in my wildest dreams thought Iā€™ll sell my motorcycle but that 20K extra for FS has to come from somewhere. If Iā€™m not able to sell them on time, I might have to cancel FS order before VIN gets assigned. Itā€™s financially not a wise decision to own all these toys while getting CT, even if we can afford it.
Iā€™m thinking the exact same thing. I want the truck so damn bad, but if I canā€™t get decent money for my vehicles, Iā€™m going to have to pass on the truck. Last week, it was whatever I get, Iā€™m selling them and doing it. But thereā€™s no way I can justify that.
I absolutely adore my F-Type, I never really seen one before. I was shopping for another Boxster S, and found it and fell in love with it.
After I sold my boat, I sold my Cayenne diesel and got the Model 3 and love that too.
Iā€™d also to have to sell my 2023 Indian FTR Carbon which would really bum me out.
Kinda the feeling when I sold my HyperMotard.

My neighbor already wants to buy my Model 3, as heā€™s seen me every weekend out detailing all the vehicles Iā€™ve had over the years and he knows heā€™s getting a perfect car.

But if the Jaguar doesnā€™t sell, I think Iā€™m out and probably just keep it and get a Model 3 Highland to help with my long drives to California every few months.
Totally sucks, but weā€™ll see what happens in the next month or so until they email me with a VIN.

Cam Salazar

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Haha šŸ˜‚ I saved cash the last 4 years to afford the CT, then got sick, spent it all on medical bills, realize now I spent all that money for nothing...so now I'm like Ef it ...I'm bout to enjoy driving my grown up tank before I leave this life behind.... tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Luckily I have little family and no kids, others can't make the irrational decisions I am. I'm just glad my midlife crisis is happening when the CT comes out.
LOL...loved your comment, I'm right there with you, no kids to worry about, so I'm also going to play my midlife crisis card on this one and enjoy my grown-up tank before I leave this life behind! I'm only 48 but don't plan on being around too much longer...time to have fun
Sponsored