Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
I remember after the big reveal, all I said is i don’t give a shit what it costs, I want that monster in my driveway. I think many people think the same. I had a poster of a Lamborghini in my room when I was a kid, I knew it was a dream that wouldn’t seriously happen. I see a Truck that’s not 350k or way more, and is as fast as a super car…one… check.. sports car excitement achieved, at a price that might hurt a bit, but still..

I long ago lost the excitement of driving, it seems like I’ve been driving the same ol same ol for 2 decades, and that’s what draws me so hard to the CT…. A Truck, a sports car, marketing tool for my outfitter business… it’s too awesome to not have.
Sponsored

Cyberjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan frontier, electric conversion isetta
Country flag
I’m afraid that making the Cybertruck the Techno King of pickups will come at a high cost. The predicted manufacturing savings with the lack of a body and paint shop will be nixed by the high cost of the cutting edge technology that will be stuffed into the Cybertruck. I think we will see a 4k camera system with crystal clear images, sophisticated adjustable air suspension, etc.

The CT will command a premium price tag simply because it’s a Tesla, a premium brand. I predict the lowest priced CT will be the Dual Motor. It will most likely be priced around $65-$75k. The initial Quad Motor MSRP will probably be in the $85-$95k range. A Quad Motor Plaid MSRP will be $110-$120k.

I predict that 10-20% of reservation holders will drop their pre-order once Tesla announces revised MSRP numbers for the 2023 Cybertruck.

422191CD-C493-40A7-8194-E21BABFFBDCD.jpeg
Things not needed on my CT; crab walk, 4 wheel steering, hidden door handles or no handles this will leave me stranded at some point I Am certain of that, a 4th motor, or a 3rd motor or the 2nd in fact, the only reason I am getting the CT is because of the SS body and thats it. That is the selling point for me, all the rest just complicates what should be a simple design. I would like to see a bed battery for extended range and that seems to be something tesla is not addressing.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Average price of a full-sized truck in the US $56k.

Average price of a new car is $47k.

-Crissa

-Crissa
I don’t know many people who actually are paying $47k for their ICE car. I think that $47k is wrapping a lot of non truck categories together. The best selling ICE car is a Toyota Corolla with an MSRP of $21K. An F150 starts around $30k and it seems like most people buying a truck end up closer to $40k. This is just the reality of what I see among coworkers in a typical white collar setting. Yes some people buy a $60k Lexus for fun and some buy used Chevy tahoes for $10k

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag

-Crissa
If I were expecting to pay $50k to $60k for an EV car which seems to be standard now. I would anticipate that the trucks would be $70k to $80k

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Average price, non-luxury brand, $42k.

Doesn't matter what you believe, who you know. I don't know alot of people with cars north of 30k, either.

I can just look on the road and know that's not representative.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don’t know many people who actually are paying $47k for their ICE car. I think that $47k is wrapping a lot of non truck categories together. The best selling ICE car is a Toyota Corolla with an MSRP of $21K. An F150 starts around $30k and it seems like most people buying a truck end up closer to $40k. This is just the reality of what I see among coworkers in a typical white collar setting. Yes some people buy a $60k Lexus for fun and some buy used Chevy tahoes for $10k
The only way your funky math works is if you (in your own words) “Truck Up” the base truck, but compare it to the very base Corolla.

You gotta make up your mind. Are we talking base vehicle in the lineup or average vehicle in the category.

If you want to talk “Base vehicle”:

The Corolla: $21,000
The F—150: $30k

The Model 3: $45k
The Cybertruck: $55k

And I’d suggest that’s not even fair because the Cybertruck was targeting the F-150, while the Model 3 has always been competing with $30,000-$40,000 cars.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I’m afraid that making the Cybertruck the Techno King of pickups will come at a high cost. The predicted manufacturing savings with the lack of a body and paint shop will be nixed by the high cost of the cutting edge technology that will be stuffed into the Cybertruck. I think we will see a 4k camera system with crystal clear images, sophisticated adjustable air suspension, etc.

The CT will command a premium price tag simply because it’s a Tesla, a premium brand. I predict the lowest priced CT will be the Dual Motor. It will most likely be priced around $65-$75k. The initial Quad Motor MSRP will probably be in the $85-$95k range. A Quad Motor Plaid MSRP will be $110-$120k.

I predict that 10-20% of reservation holders will drop their pre-order once Tesla announces revised MSRP numbers for the 2023 Cybertruck.

422191CD-C493-40A7-8194-E21BABFFBDCD.jpeg
Tesla incorporates leading edge automotive technology into the builds of all their vehicles. And doing this doesn't increase the cost, it decreases it. Do you have any idea how much all those buttons and instruments and lights cost? The center display replaces all of those.

But the real bleeding edge technology is in the technology used to manufacture them. That reduces costs too.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
When the Cybertruck rolls off of the assembly line in Texas (in 2023), it will be the ultimate example of Tesla’s and Space X’s engineering and production ramp experience from the last 18 years. Cross-team and cross-company engineering collaboration, rapid iteration at all levels, advanced materials science, in-house software design and computer science, automation simplification and internal supply chain for most key parts all contribute to sophisticated products at lower prices.

The benefits of large precision castings with custom alloys, a true structural 4680 battery pack, exoskeleton, no paint body, electrical and electronic advances, etc. will reduce weight, part count, assembly robot count, assembly time, rework and ultimately cost. All this will contribute to supplying us CT fans with the coolest truck ever at a reasonable price, even with >7% inflation.
Kudos re-grounding discussion in Tesla reality.

Cybertruck is a 3rd generation pickup truck. Classic technology disruption after 1st Gen pickup Invention and 2nd Gen Integration, Tesla Innovations in electrification, design, engineering and automation technology is a coup de grace with a direct-to-consumer disintermediation business model. In sum total, Tesla will deliver a pickup that its competition cannot match.

Experts roughly judge the position Tesla are in, measured in years. Four to six years ahead of OEM’s. What Elon squanders waiting, delaying or aligning Cybertruck is a window that none of its competitors can avoid right now(chip shortage, Covid, supply chain disruption and civil uncertainty). Tesla loses nothing waiting to launch Cybertruck other than a few RN’s with itch-y feet and gains more everyday that conditions improve. If a guy could get lucky, launching 3 new Giga scale factories concurrently; Elon is blessed with Model Y to blow out the door crushing the demand pent-up.

Historically, Tesla delivers on price. Events beyond Tesla’s control will be costly. Time and money are not fixed costs but silver linings in playbooks favor Tesla, Tesla synergies and Tesla customers on cost if they accept the hit to timing.
Sponsored