Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So from the images I've seen of the CT, it seems like the fenders that stick out from the SS sides are not made of SS. Since they also contain the side and rearview cameras, I'm wondering how these will hold up during off-roading. I've seen plenty of Jeeps and other ICE vehicles lose light assemblies, crush fenders, or get other major damage when the side of their truck hits a rock, tree, or another obstacle even when the vehicle is traveling very slowly.

Will the CT fenders and cameras survive such abuse? Seems like this is a potential weak spot and major repair item in the case of off-road ouchies.

I'm really not worried about the rest of the SS sides. A bunch of scratches will just be proof that your CT has had some real-life experiences. But losing the cameras could be a real blow to the pocket-book and potentially the driveability.
Sponsored

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
That was my thought too but I guess Tesla will design those for easy serviceability and camera lens covers might be made of the same material (aluminium oxynitride) as the windows or even sapphire, both are scratch resistant and have roughly the same hardness index.
The more people will break those parts the larger the secondary market will be for those parts, so I am not really concerned. Those windows on the other hand...

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Off-roaders crush and rip more fenders due to the wheels getting fully tucked and making contact with the wheel well than actually hitting the wheel well on obstacles. This is due to putting tires too large for the wheel well at full compression and or the suspension system not capable of properly handling the trail / course. You'll never have this problem with a proper set-up.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So from the images I've seen of the CT, it seems like the fenders that stick out from the SS sides are not made of SS. Since they also contain the side and rearview cameras, I'm wondering how these will hold up during off-roading. I've seen plenty of Jeeps and other ICE vehicles lose light assemblies, crush fenders, or get other major damage when the side of their truck hits a rock, tree, or another obstacle even when the vehicle is traveling very slowly.

Will the CT fenders and cameras survive such abuse? Seems like this is a potential weak spot and major repair item in the case of off-road ouchies.

I'm really not worried about the rest of the SS sides. A bunch of scratches will just be proof that your CT has had some real-life experiences. But losing the cameras could be a real blow to the pocket-book and potentially the driveability.
Good point. If they put it through Baja they will find out. Or if they take it for just about any offroading. That said, the same can be said for mirrors except they are probably less costly to replace (maybe not the motorized ones). That said, these days the side mirrors can fold in when not needed so maybe they would be less likely to break off. I don't know; its been a long time since I offloaded with a truck and I never snapped a mirror off or even came close, but the bushes bordering my driveway have provided their share of entertainment on the side of our cars.

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
I've still had stuff that sticks out taken off. Mirrors are basically expendable to rough-roading.

-Crissa
The best placement of a panoramic mirror in a UTV is under the polypropylene roof in the center of the front of the cage.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
If you do not want it damaged, dented, or crushed, do not go off-roading.
I get a lot of enjoyment and take a certain amount of pride in being able to tackle some good off-road challenges without breaking anything. It's all about understanding the ,limitations of your vehicle and being able to accurately gage the available traction in various situations.

That's not to say that I haven't broken, dented, and scratched off-road vehicles but it's not a very regular occurrence and it happens less often as one gains experience. I'm a big fan of stopping and getting out of the vehicle to survey the situation at the first hint of a challenge, not trying to brashly power through as if I didn't have the time to check it out.

Last edited:

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I think it is better to have those more expendable parts be easy to remove and replace.
If they were part of the body and SS, damage to them would be far more difficult/expensive to service. I was relieved to see that the fender flares were (or might be) replaceable. If they turn out to be too flimsy, I would expect an aftermarket vendor to make a more robust replacement.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
biggest concern (at least as far as i can tell) is the cameras. Assuming they are plastic fenders and will break off, but then you have the expensive camera (and wiring) that is now damaged and may need replaced. In the meantime what happens to your ability to use advanced auto pilot?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I don’t see antiquated US laws regarding old school side mirrors changing anytime soon.

If US legislation regarding side view cameras does change I hope Tesla follows Honda lead and avoids Audi. The Honda e electric car, not sold in the US, supposedly has excellent side view cameras and monitors. The Audi is getting owner complaints about seeing the drivers knee reflection in the passenger monitor and therefore being useless.

Audi
Tesla Cybertruck CT Fenders and Side Cameras B47308CF-F240-4EF6-BCA2-805140184AE8

Honda e
Tesla Cybertruck CT Fenders and Side Cameras 3EBFBF65-7DAC-4B69-B92C-34AB4389BD5F

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I think it is better to have those more expendable parts be easy to remove and replace.
If they were part of the body and SS, damage to them would be far more difficult/expensive to service. I was relieved to see that the fender flares were (or might be) replaceable. If they turn out to be too flimsy, I would expect an aftermarket vendor to make a more robust replacement.
In my experience off-roading, you cannot make a part robust enough to handle all potential encounters. It will actually be better if the fender flares are flimsy and flexible plastic so they can take impacts without denting (like metal would) or breaking (like hard structural plastic would). The right plastic would just get smashed in (protecting the body slightly) and then pop back to it's original shape.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
In my experience off-roading, you cannot make a part robust enough to handle all potential encounters. It will actually be better if the fender flares are flimsy and flexible plastic so they can take impacts without denting (like metal would) or breaking (like hard structural plastic would). The right plastic would just get smashed in (protecting the body slightly) and then pop back to it's original shape.
Or perhaps something more like rubber? Kind of like a mudflap that sticks out to the side a bit. Only thing is the cameras. Not sure how much protection they would get. I like the idea of being able to record from the cameras while off road, but don't want to lose them to the road.

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
For me... I would buy a old used $1500 F-150, strip it down modify a few things then take it off road and beat the heck out of it. Then when I was finished I would climb into my nice clean $85,000 CT and tow my F-150 or what’s left of it back to the garage for more repairs and do a little body work with the sledge hammer. But that’s just me...
Sponsored

Last edited: