Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don’t see antiquated US laws regarding old school side mirrors changing anytime soon.

If US legislation regarding side view cameras does change I hope Tesla follows Honda lead and avoids Audi. The Honda e electric car, not sold in the US, supposedly has excellent side view cameras and monitors. The Audi is getting owner complaints about seeing the drivers knee reflection in the passenger monitor and therefore being useless.

Audi
B47308CF-F240-4EF6-BCA2-805140184AE8.jpeg

Honda e
3EBFBF65-7DAC-4B69-B92C-34AB4389BD5F.jpeg
Audi’s exemption with NHTSA is for 2 years, with 1 year left, and then the NHTSA has to rule on whether to allow this type of option. That there are complaints of the Audi solution doesn’t make the replacement bad, only that solution, and the complaint you mention isn’t about the quality of the view, which is what the exemption is to help determine. Problems are good, because they can help make such systems better.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Cameras are pretty cheap when they're just a bubble lens and a receptor panel. Keep the internal circuitry to a minimum on the parts that stick out.

A bump-out camera shouldn't cost more than $50.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I get a lot of enjoyment and take a certain amount of pride in being able to tackle some good off-road challenges without breaking anything. It's all about understanding the ,limitations of your vehicle and being able to accurately gage the available traction in various situations.

That's not to say that I haven't broken, dented, and scratched off-road vehicles but it's not a very regular occurrence and it happens less often as one gains experience. I'm a big fan of stopping and getting out of the vehicle to survey the situation at the first hint of a challenge, not trying to brashly power through as if I didn't have the time to check it out.
You must be a very skilled off-roader, as I have watched people with decades of experience do something that should have worked, but due to a weird hop, sliding, or some other unforeseen outcome, slide, move, or bounce into a rock causing a dent, bend, or broken part.

These parts ranged from fenders, lights, doors, windows, bumpers, rock-rails/slides, drive shafts, axels, and suspension. I even watched a weird rock strike break a wheel.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I had a trash can fall over when I backed up past me and it took off my mirror. On a modern car!

It doesn't take much to get some dynamic pressure to pop a piece off. When you start having loose rocks and branches, well, they're bit stronger than a plastic can. I've not had more damage than a mirror taken off by a branch in the woods ora towing hook to scraping rocks. I've been lucky ^-^

It's gonna happen.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Sounds more similar to Overlanding, where the goal is not to conquer an obstacle, but to just get from point a to point b.

I plan on overlanding, not on rock crawling. I understand that is not everyone's use case, but it is mine.

I am also a fan of some aviation videos...

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
The Honda e electric car, not sold in the US, supposedly has excellent side view cameras and monitors.
I have driven the Honda e it has fantastic "camera mirrows". (y) ?
The monitors have a very sharp picture are where you expect them and where they should be.
They have even incorporated "guide lines" for backing up, like rear center camera systems.

Did you know that they are STANDART equippment for Honda e ? (Thake that AUDI and other OEM)

The only reason I did not buy it was the short range..... (150 miles?)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
You must be a very skilled off-roader, as I have watched people with decades of experience do something that should have worked, but due to a weird hop, sliding, or some other unforeseen outcome, slide, move, or bounce into a rock causing a dent, bend, or broken part.
Maybe you missed it but I admitted I've done plenty of damage while off-roading - it's just that my goal for each adventure is to NOT do any serious damage. And, yes, with more experience comes more skill. I've been off-roading for over 30 years and the number of mistakes I make have definitely declined as I gain experience.

I've been off-roading with guys that don't seem to have as much fun if they aren't smashing and breaking things. My style is more "ninja". We do the same trails but some people just have more "mishaps", LOL!

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
With the CT being what it is, I wouldn't figure any part of it will be flimsy or plastic. I don't need everything to be 30x SS, but maybe a lesser SS, that still won't just bend. Jeep lovers upgrade to get fender flares that they can stand on. Heavy duty is good. Not break or break-away, or even bend.

I hope the CT is everything everyone wants - even though I know everyone has different ideas of what is good and perfect. peace

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Sometimes a part that flexes and then returns to shape is better than a part that will bend and then stay that way.
That is why when I was a teenager and my stepdad's Jeep Wrangler with bumperettes (loops of spring steel) were much better in the few times people would rear end him than a plastic bumper...

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Sometimes a part that flexes and then returns to shape is better than a part that will bend and then stay that way.
That is why when I was a teenager and my stepdad's Jeep Wrangler with bumperettes (loops of spring steel) were much better in the few times people would rear end him than a plastic bumper...
I have thought about using a shock absorbing bar attached at the hitch much like the Spare Bumper. This was for my current vehicle. And of course for the front one could use bull bars. I’ve heard they are even more dangerous for pedestrians though. Overall I’m not real worried about the CT in normal situations. And in an extreme accident I’m not sure such devices would make a ton of difference. Plus they may mess with the aerodynamics (especially in the front).

For this thread though I’m more concerned with the non SS fender flares and the embedded cameras. Seems like a flexible material for the flares makes sense. But I’d want the cameras to also retract in that flex do that the don’t just get ripped off by a tree or rock I’m trying to get past. I don’t mind getting scratches on the SS but I don’t want to have to carry spare parts around for things like fender flares.

Overall though I’m excited to get my CT and then take it out into the wilds for some fun. I’m not expecting to strain the CT itself. And I’m hoping the CT doesn’t strain me back.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
So from the images I've seen of the CT, it seems like the fenders that stick out from the SS sides are not made of SS. Since they also contain the side and rearview cameras, I'm wondering how these will hold up during off-roading. I've seen plenty of Jeeps and other ICE vehicles lose light assemblies, crush fenders, or get other major damage when the side of their truck hits a rock, tree, or another obstacle even when the vehicle is traveling very slowly.

Will the CT fenders and cameras survive such abuse? Seems like this is a potential weak spot and major repair item in the case of off-road ouchies.

I'm really not worried about the rest of the SS sides. A bunch of scratches will just be proof that your CT has had some real-life experiences. But losing the cameras could be a real blow to the pocket-book and potentially the driveability.
Isn't the CT rather big to attract the interest of off-roaders?

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Maybe for some but Sandy Monroe says it will be a great off road vehicle so I’m going to bet that he’s not the only one.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Depends on the type of offroading. Rock crawling its a bit large.. although people rock crawl with raptors and power wagons which are even bigger. But I think it will really shine as an overlanding expedition type vehicle especially if its available with solar.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah, CyberTruck would not shine in tight, technical trails where breakover and over all length are considerations.

I definitely am wanting more of a overland style offroading.

Not to say that you still do not end up rubbing against a rock or tree... but it probably happens less often.
Sponsored