Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
CNBC: There are a slew of electric pickup trucks slated to hit the market next year. Tesla’s Cybertruck, GM’s Hummer EV, Rivian’s R1T and Lordstown Motor’s Endurance to name a few. Ford, which has dominated the pickup truck market for decades with the F-150, is also planning an electric truck. The race is on between the established automakers and start-ups for who will be first to market. But when there are a plethora of EV trucks to choose from, will loyal pickup truck drivers make the switch to electric?

Sponsored

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I know Nissan Frontier is not a current contender but in China Nissan partnered with Dongfeng and produced a small truck with a 250 mile range and being sold around $20K.
Nissan did not say they would bring it to the United States but the platform that is being used in China would fit the Nissan Frontier. I can see them taking advantage this platform and with consumer experiences.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If I recall it had a very low top speed and no DC charging compatibility.

I looked at a few Japanese EV trucks, and freeway range and DC charging was a must and none had it.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
For starters, the Hummer looks like an SUV far more than it looks like a pickup. ....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Who will "Win" the race? Probably Rivian..
That seems certain at this point and is why I am quite puzzled as to why only 83.3% of respondents to a recent poll here think Rivian will make it to market at all.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
That seems certain at this point and is why I am quite puzzled as to why only 83.3% of respondents to a recent poll here think Rivian will make it to market at all.
'Win' as in having a product to market first..... that's a big difference in compared to dominating the market.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, and that's why I made it clear that I was responding to the win the race part of the quote and not the dominate the market part.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
The thought of a win for me is who was first but then there is second and so on, right now many trucks are being sold and specialty trucks between consumers and commercial. I wonder how many EV manufactures will find buyers that need their product. It looks like at the moment in my opinion 3 EV truck manufactures plan on direct competition with ICE trucks with others looking into niche markets which is probably a good idea since the truck market is a tough to get into. Tesla, Ford and GM will have a slice of the proverbial pie. How many others manufactures and start-ups are going to make a viable EV truck? Who has a good working Crystal ball that I can borrow?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Clearly the demand for trucks is not in question. What is in question to my way of thinking is acceptance of electric trucks. There is no question that electric vehicles are the future but I think its going to be a while before the public accepts them (1.5% penetration in the US after 10(?) years). I think they are going to have to be "dumbed down" quite a bit more before someone like my SO will be comfortable with them.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Clearly the demand for trucks is not in question. What is in question to my way of thinking is acceptance of electric trucks. There is no question that electric vehicles are the future but I think its going to be a while before the public accepts them (1.5% penetration in the US after 10(?) years). I think they are going to have to be "dumbed down" quite a bit more before someone like my SO will be comfortable with them.
I think you are right and this falls on a lot of the younger Generations. My nephews (7 and 9) are convinced Tesla's are the coolest vehicles ever.. electric or not. They arrived at this conclusion 100% in their own, I swear.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
EV’s have been way over priced and still are for the masses to buy them, I know the batteries are expensive but strip out all the mechanical parts of an ICE and I think we are being ripped off, the good news however is that the price of the CT isn’t that far off the price of the current ICE pickup trucks available, with the new battery chemistry which will hopefully lower the costs of the battery packs the price may be on par with ICE trucks by the time the CT will be available.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No, we're not being ripped off. BEVs are new products whose acceptance and hence success, such that it is at this point, has depended on vigorous (and expensive) research plus the ability to control Capex such that economies of scale are available to the consumer at the same time that debt service is under control. Look at the company we study most closely here. It has skirted the edge skillfully (if precariously) and remained in business. If we have been "ripped off" where has all the money that was taken gone? It has gone into the Capex and research which has made the factory that is going to build our CTs and the "million mile battery" realities.

Yes, BEV are still expensive but through the R&D the parity point is approaching rapidly.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Batteries are expensive.

I bought my bike for $6k. I could get a new (tho last years' model) for about that much if I chose an ICE engine bike of the same performance. The price of the battery replacement is about... $6k.

So did I get ripped off, or did the battery hold its value rather well?

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
The better question is why she isn't comfortable with them? How can an EV be dumbed down?
Sponsored