Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Original article: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-steel-exoskeleton-supplier-factory-details/

Tesla Cybertruck’s steel supplier to begin operations at TX plant by Fall 2021: report

Posted on December 10, 2020

Reports have emerged stating that Steel Dynamics Inc., a reported supplier for the steel that would be utilized for the Tesla Cybertuck, is poised to start operations in its massive Sinton, TX mill by Fall 2021. The upcoming facility will be one of the steel supplier’s most ambitious projects to date, and it would manufacture products that are quite unlike anything on the market.

In a statement to K3 News, San Patricio County Judge David Krebs stated that the $1.7-billion SDI Sinton steel mill will not only be providing numerous good-paying jobs to workers in the area; it would also be supplying the steel that would be utilized by Tesla to produce the Cybertruck, a rather unique-looking all-electric pickup truck that is expected to enter production next year.

Tesla is currently building Gigafactory Texas, the facility that will be producing the Cybertruck.

Quite interestingly, the judge stated that Tesla, one of SDI’s customers, will be “redoing” the steel that it would be taking from the Sinton plant to create the Cybertruck. This suggests that the all-electric pickup’s steel exoskeleton will feature a notable amount of innovations that would make the vehicle truly unique.

“Now some of these other companies who work with SDI will actually be taking SDI’s product and refining it a little bit better. We’re hearing that one of the companies that were pretty close to–probably getting close–is a company that’s going to be taking SDI steel, redoing it, and that steel will actually be going into the Tesla cars that they’re moving in from California to manufacture here,” Krebs remarked.

The judge noted that if Steel Dynamics’ Sinton mill becomes successful, it could end up being larger than the $10 billion Exxon plastics plant that is also under construction in the area. Just like SDI’s steel facility, the Exxon plant is expected to be open by next fall.

“There is a possibility that once that plant and everything else that’s going in out there is up in operation, there could be we are estimating from the numbers these people are giving us, there’s gonna be at least 3000 employees out there working in that area… It could be bigger than Exxon/Mobil, you know, the number of employees on that site,” Krebs remarked.

Overall, Judge Krebs remarked that the economic benefits of Steel Dynamics’ steel mill and Exxon’s plastics plant would be notable. Both projects could provide needed tax dollars for the country, which could, in turn, be used for projects such as the improvements to the courthouse and road projects in the area.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I was wondering if the CT was going to be equipped with a sofa or sectional to pull together my whole room. Thanks for the confirmation. :)
lol I deleted the ad and apparently didn't get all of it!

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla is rumored to have a deal with Steel Dynamics to supply the steel for the Cybertruck electric pickup truck from a new $1.7 billion factory in Texas – not too far from Tesla’s own Texas factory.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck last year, one of the most interesting features was the fact the vehicle isn’t going to be built using a traditional automotive body system but with an exoskeleton.

The automaker wrote about the exoskeleton:

“Cybertruck is built with an exterior shell made for ultimate durability and passenger protection. Starting with a nearly impenetrable exoskeleton, every component is designed for superior strength and endurance, from Ultra-Hard 30X Cold-Rolled stainless-steel structural skin to Tesla armor glass.”
Tesla said that they were using the best steel they could make:

“If there was something better, we’d use it. Help eliminate dents, damage and long-term corrosion with a smooth monochrome exoskeleton that puts the shell on the outside of the car and provides you and your passengers maximum protection.”
At the launch, CEO Elon Musk said that it is using the same alloy as SpaceX’s next interplanetary spaceship:

“We’re going to be using the same alloy in the Starship rocket.”
Now we’ve learned that Tesla could be getting the steel from Steel Dynamics, which is building a giant new factory in Texas.

San Patricio County Judge David Krebs, who is involved in the approval of the $1.7 billion project, told local media 3News:

“The 1.7-billion-dollar steel dynamics plant under construction in Sinton is supposed to be up and running by the Fall of 2021. Not only is it going to provide hundreds of good paying jobs but it’s also going to supply the steel used in making Tesla’s Cybertruck.”
Of course, Tesla is currently building its own factory in Austin Texas, just a few hours away from the new steel plant.

Here’s the news report in question:

However, neither Tesla nor Steel Dynamics have confirmed a supply agreement for the Cybertruck.

Tesla plans on bringing the electric pickup truck to production in late 2021 and it has over 650,000 reservations for the electric vehicle, according to the latest tally.

Recently, Tesla CEO Elon Musk warned that there will be challenges to bring the Cybertruck to production on time since it requires new manufacturing methods to make that steel exoskeleton.

SOURCE: ELECTREK

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
This is great news if true. One piece of the puzzle solved. Now hopefully they can find a reliable supplier for the armor glass

Last edited:

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Interesting information. I wonder if by "redoing" the steel, they mean that Tesla will cold roll the steel in-house after they receive it. If not the steel probably couldn't be delivered on rolls like depicted in the photo (or maybe raw <3mm steel can't be rolled anyway.)

If Steel Dynamics will cold roll it before shipping, I imagine that it would need to be shipped/trucked in flat slabs.

Otherwise, I'm curious what "redoing" will mean. (Surface finish perhaps?)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
(or maybe raw <3mm steel can't be rolled anyway.)

Anything can be rolled at the right diameter. Even if you couldn't bend it. (Which they can). The rolls at SpaceX's Boca Chica are 3mm.

I am, too. Heat-treating? Pre-cutting? Creating rolls to a specific design (like grab points for robots). Who knows?

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I believe that 100%
It looks like in China it is the most Chinese company and in Germany the most German. But deep down they all have an American soul (the proprietary chip that watches and records everything).

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Interesting information. I wonder if by "redoing" the steel, they mean that Tesla will cold roll the steel in-house after they receive it. If not the steel probably couldn't be delivered on rolls like depicted in the photo (or maybe raw <3mm steel can't be rolled anyway.)

If Steel Dynamics will cold roll it before shipping, I imagine that it would need to be shipped/trucked in flat slabs.

I doubt Tesla will be handling the cold rolling process. I am thinking Tesla will probably be doing some extra treatment (Heat maybe?) as well as surface finish. Sheets of metal don't usually come off the lines looking that great from my experience.

MAYBE this is going to be a way for them to offer those heated colors people have been talking about?

Hopefully we will know more sooner than later, I am getting anxious for some news from Tesla!
Sponsored