Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Their 4 Motor design makes it an actual truck, one motor per wheel is the only way to go and I hope Elon realizes this and offers it to the california mom "truck"...
And yes, I have ordered the 3 motor option, just hoping Tesla get's it right.
Why is 4th motor the only way to go? = tank turns? ultimate off-road capability ? Torque vectoring / equivalent to locker on both axles? Cant be for more power (not needed if Tri can make 1100+ in S Plaid +), can't be needed for street as my m3p is fantastic with just 2 motors....I don't do hard core 4x4, just fire roads / minimal off-road to get the dirt bikes to staging areas, so for me, while I wouldn't vote against it if offered, I don't consider it essential - so curious
Sponsored

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Their 4 Motor design makes it an actual truck, one motor per wheel is the only way to go and I hope Elon realizes this and offers it to the california mom "truck"...
And yes, I have ordered the 3 motor option, just hoping Tesla get's it right.
I disagree that 4 motors makes it a real truck. My Ram 2500 has one motor, under the hood, it's definitely a real truck. I don't think number of motors is a huge factor as long as it is capable of moving the truck as specified.

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
Why is 4th motor the only way to go? = tank turns? ultimate off-road capability ? Torque vectoring / equivalent to locker on both axles? Cant be for more power (not needed if Tri can make 1100+ in S Plaid +), can't be needed for street as my m3p is fantastic with just 2 motors....I don't do hard core 4x4, just fire roads / minimal off-road to get the dirt bikes to staging areas, so for me, while I wouldn't vote against it if offered, I don't consider it essential - so curious
Yes, ultimate traction control for rock crawling, winter roads, mud, hauling a trailer through terrain, what actual trucks do. california trucks look pretty and drive around on streets, a single motor or dual motor would be more than sufficient, but those of us who want an actual truck want 1 motor for each wheel.

Oh, and not the only way to go. 1 & 2 motor options are great for those sticking to the concrete. Why offer 3 motors, it's an odd thing - just go to 4 motors.

Last edited:

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I disagree that 4 motors makes it a real truck. My Ram 2500 has one motor, under the hood, it's definitely a real truck. I don't think number of motors is a huge factor as long as it is capable of moving the truck as specified.
I have never seen a stock full sized Dodge, unmentionable or Ford at the places I've been even with my Hilux. They just don't have the entry/exit angles nor the lockouts to make it through. Sure I've seen some heavily modified, but far and few between.
Elon designed the CT to have possibly the right entry & exit angles to do this, but I do not believe that torque vectoring or brake modulation will cut it - four motors would be lighter and far more effective than a transfer case and differentials.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I have never seen a stock full sized Dodge, unmentionable or Ford at the places I've been even with my Hilux. They just don't have the entry/exit angles nor the lockouts to make it through. Sure I've seen some heavily modified, but far and few between.
Elon designed the CT to have possibly the right entry & exit angles to do this, but I do not believe that torque vectoring or brake modulation will cut it - four motors would be lighter and far more effective than a transfer case and differentials.

Your Hilux is comparable to a Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Grand Cherokee in size, weight, and wheel base.

Your Hilux is not comparable to a Dodge 2500 in size, weight, and wheel base.

That is why you don't see full size pickups where your Hilux can go.

I think people are losing focus. The CT is not end all be all of offroad trucks, I don't think it was ever intended to be. It's designed to be better and cheaper than the Ford F150, which is a pretty amazing truck by most standards.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
How does your truck get anywhere off the pavement? It only has one motor.

Or maybe you don't need 4 motors to go off-road?

See the issue?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why offer 3 motors, it's an odd thing - just go to 4 motors.
Because the two motors aren't each assigned to a single wheel, but act as different gearing in tandem on the axle.

four motors would be lighter and far more effective than a transfer case and differentials.
No. An axle is lighter than adding a motor. Unless you're doing it Lordstown's method.

-Crissa

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I honestly don't see the appeal of the R1T over the CT (thinking in terms of Tri-motor here). Why pay more money for a vehicle that gets 100 less miles, especially if you plan to be "exploring" in it?

to me the only thing that I could see the R1T beating out the CT on would be aesthetics, which is highly subjective in it's own right... personally I like the CT spartan interior look more than the R1T

Not trashing the R1T either, I do think it's cool, but extremely pricey for way less practicality. So, harping back to the note of subjectivity, CT for me 100%

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
How does your truck get anywhere off the pavement? It only has one motor.

Or maybe you don't need 4 motors to go off-road?

See the issue?
If I could replace the ICE, transfer case and transmission with 4 electric motors - I certainly would...
Sponsored