Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Specs compared, Electrek:

Tesla Cybertruck vs. Rivian R1T
A comparison between the two trucks is not perfect because there are a few pieces of information missing.

The fairest comparison is between the mid-range versions of each electric pickup truck:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T specs and prici

It’s not perfect here, and there are two asterisks on the comparison because Rivian only disclosed the starting price of the R1T, $69,000.

Therefore, the price of the 135 kWh version of the R1T is not known and expected to cost more than $70,000 — likely closer to $80,000.

Also, aside from range, Rivian has only released the top specs, so some ratings, like towing capacity, could be lower for the other versions of the Rivian R1T.

If you compare the top specs from each vehicle, Tesla also comes easily on top with 100 more miles of range, 3,000 more pounds of towing capacity, and slightly fast acceleration.

On top of the powertrain related performance specs, Tesla has also some big advantages on the form factor — mainly a larger bed, which is important for a lot of pickup owners.

As for the base versions, Tesla Cybertruck beats the Rivian R1T in range by 20 miles and it’s almost $30,000 less expensive.

A visual comparison.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla-cybertruck-beats-rivian-r1t-across-the-board-still-remains-big-and-ugly_1

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla-cybertruck-beats-rivian-r1t-across-the-board-still-remains-big-and-ugly_2

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla-cybertruck-beats-rivian-r1t-across-the-board-still-remains-big-and-ugly_3

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla-cybertruck-beats-rivian-r1t-across-the-board-still-remains-big-and-ugly_4

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla-cybertruck-beats-rivian-r1t-across-the-board-still-remains-big-and-ugly_34

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison rivian-r1t-10

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla_cybertruck_tesla_electric_pickup_truck_rivian_r1t_tesla_cybertruck_vs_rivian_r1t_rivian_

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla-cybertruck-beats-rivian-r1t-across-the-board-still-remains-big-and-ugly_6

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T - Specs and Visual Comparison tesla-cybertruck-beats-rivian-r1t-across-the-board-still-remains-big-and-ugly_35
Sponsored

Last edited:

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model 3, 2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2013 GMC 2500
Country flag
I really liked the look last night but I might be over it. I wish it was somewhere in-between these two...

TennesseeCyber

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt
Occupation
VP of Operations
Country flag
Give me the Cybertruck all day, everyday. For both form and function, the Cybertruck wins. $20k less cost and WAY better head turning style... CT wins

K Doc Brown 007

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion & 2019 Jeep Rubicon
Country flag
Oddly, overall function + style I prefer CT. But look , we are on CT forum... so probably obvious. However, I do like interior layout of Dash of Rivian

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Regarding the RivIan, if I would purchase, I would be concerned of the access to the spare tire in the bed. While great having a full spare, watching a video of the lid opening worries me about damage if the bed was used repeatedly to haul material.

The tunnel and access to form a seat, got to give them accolades there.

Between the two, CT all the way. There is also no history on Rivian’s power train and batteries. I am also buying reputation, albeit reported poor customer service, late but improving production, took all the fun out of haggling for price. Tesla proved themselves on addressing problems people had with their batteries.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The R1T is not intended for hauling manure. It is intended for hauling the goodies from L L Bean and R!A to the beach cottage. Thus you wouldn't put a liner in it (which would really kill use of the tire well) and wouldn't take it to the farmer with the "Moo Poo" sign at the end of his drive. It is a nice looking pickup for rich suburbanites who wish their neighbors to think they have a bit of the wild side. I would not feel out of place in one in the parking lot of an upscale restaurant (not that I go to those).

The CT is not a nice looking truck but rather a "cool" looking one and is intended to appeal to an entirely different demographic. I'd feel a lot more at home among the vans and F150's at the Home Depot contractor's entrance (at least I could gt a stack of 2 x 4'x 8's into it be it with the tail gate down) or in the lot of Grainger with it than i would with the Rivian (though I bet it will get some stares in the blue collar places too).

I figured that everyone with a Tesla would order a R1T as soon as they could because the Teslas were definitely luxury cars (certainly had luxury price tags), the Rivisn is a luxury vehicle and it certainly appears that they will be the first to get an electric truck to market. I further assumed that all those Rivian reservation holders would reserve a CT too because it is an electric truck of quite different flavor and for $100, why not? I couldn't have been more wrong. Only 5% of those who responded to a poll I put up here (3 people including me) have dual reservations. So the majority here have chosen one or the other.

As the table in the OP shows the specs for the two are comparable but the table should have shown numbers for the Trimotor as compared to the 180 kWh battery R1T at least in addition to the ones listed as they are comparable too. The thing the OP left out, and this is the most important difference between the two brands, is that the CT will have access to the SC network. I have not determined that I will chose one or the other yet but if I do the charging network will doubtless get as much weight as all the other considerations taken together.

Last edited:

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag
I love both trucks, but I will go with the Tesla Cybertruck. I like the look of the interior better. I do like the R1T a lot, but the CT is cool. Looking forward to more info on it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Rivian beats Tesla hands down with respect to the most important factor: delivery time.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Wow I prefer the CT dash. I've gotten used to it. So much nicer to throw gloves and hearing protection on it.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Wow I prefer the CT dash. I've gotten used to it. So much nicer to throw gloves and hearing protection on it.
We differ. While not liking the marbled finish, prefer a different brand. I like the minimalist approach but need storage under for the gloves and such. Closable storage areas too, not under seat, easy access with though on charge cords, insurance cards and registration, hiding my gambling winnings.

Intermission. My grandfather and his friend went gambling when they told their wives they were working. They won big and did not know how to launder the money back into their accounts, during the late 50’s, so they each put their winnings in their glove box. Weeks later, their wives found, took the money and as the story goes, challenged them to explain and kept the money for the household budget, upgrades and something for each wife. Lesson learned, find a better hiding spot for you ill gotten spoils.

Personal preference, I do not like anything sliding around on the dash as I drive. I am hoping the dash stands up to the elements when I live the truck parked outside its entire life.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
We differ. While not liking the marbled finish, prefer a different brand. I like the minimalist approach but need storage under for the gloves and such. Closable storage areas too, not under seat, easy access with though on charge cords, insurance cards and registration, hiding my gambling winnings.

Intermission. My grandfather and his friend went gambling when they told their wives they were working. They won big and did not know how to launder the money back into their accounts, during the late 50’s, so they each put their winnings in their glove box. Weeks later, their wives found, took the money and as the story goes, challenged them to explain and kept the money for the household budget, upgrades and something for each wife. Lesson learned, find a better hiding spot for you ill gotten spoils.

Personal preference, I do not like anything sliding around on the dash as I drive. I am hoping the dash stands up to the elements when I live the truck parked outside its entire life.
The model 3 has a glove box and a minimalist dash. Besides I think the dash matches the seat backs so its probably configurable color wise. Honestly paper composite countertops are a wonderful material choice for a dash. The only thing better than a glove box is if the entire dash opens and is storage.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I am with you on not having things on the dash. If the CT does not have much storage the aftermarket will fix that. Look at all the storage solutions for the Jeep market.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I have no issue with the paper composite material, just not a fan of he finish.

if I must have the marble top, then I need a cutting board and cooking service to prepare my breakfast as FSD drives me to work.

I make a mean 2 pot beef stew.
Sponsored