Anyone considering getting Solar with the new Green Act

Hootie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Civic; '23 Model Y LR; '23 Ford Lightning
Country flag
I am curious if anyone had thoughts on getting Solar to charge your CT.
I think with the proposed Green Act, it will increase the incentive for Solar panels.

We know EV's are cheaper to charge than ICE, but I would assume the CT will cost more in electricity than a Model Y will.
So I am curious if others are thinking about using the Solar incentive along with the EV credits and if that would make sense in the long run.

Thanks
Sponsored

Billh

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Tech officer
Country flag
I am curious if anyone had thoughts on getting Solar to charge your CT.
I think with the proposed Green Act, it will increase the incentive for Solar panels.

We know EV's are cheaper to charge than ICE, but I would assume the CT will cost more in electricity than a Model Y will.
So I am curious if others are thinking about using the Solar incentive along with the EV credits and if that would make sense in the long run.

Thanks
It would be great if Tesla would offer a solar Truckport for the Cybertruck with a DC charging cord!

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I ordered a tesla solar roof in august. After some considerations i figured it was the best way to go for me to charge my CT at home, even though my electric rates here are .05 per KWh I want to use the free energy from the sun to run my truck whenever possible.

Sadly it's not been installed yet

JayLucas

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Retired Patent Judge
Country flag
I ordered a tesla solar roof in august. After some considerations i figured it was the best way to go for me to charge my CT at home, even though my electric rates here are .05 per KWh I want to use the free energy from the sun to run my truck whenever possible.

You live in a Electricity Mecca, Lucky Dog. ?. May I ask where do you live to get electricity at a nickel a kilowatt hour?

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
You live in a Electricity Mecca, Lucky Dog. ?. May I ask where do you live to get electricity at a nickel a kilowatt hour?
where I live in NW Texas cost is 9.21 per kWh.

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
I will once i'm in a house i plan on staying in long term. It doesn't seem like adding solar to my house and then moving 2 years later is a wise investment but i'd love to hear otherwise.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag

I am assuming that is night rates. Pretty much won’t be beating .05 a KWH

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
With 50, 395 watt solar panels, 6, 4kw lifepo4 batteries and 2, 12k solark controllers, I’m good for the whole house, shop, Chevy bolt and cybertruck.
Will also have 15kw propane backup generator.
Now thinking about a couple of wind generators.

Last edited:

Ratso

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75 Monte carlo, 74 K5 Blazer, 85 Chevy van, 89 Pontiac 6000, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Chevy Silverado, and my last car will be Cybertruck tried motor.
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I live in Massachusetts and got 40 solar panels about 5 years ago. The incentives make solar worth it (if you can take the "rebate" and throw it again any loan you may take out. I unfortunately could not do that).
My family and I consume a considerable amount of energy (pool pump, pool heater, deep freezer, 2 refrigerators in winter and 1 more in summer on top of lights and AC). My friends complain about $350 a month in electric bills the same month I spinning the meter backwards.
I do have a loan payment of approximately $425 a month but that loan ends in 5 years. Afterwards, I expect my energy bill to be approximately $550 for the year!
COVID spiked my electric bill with everyone at home doing school and work but I expect that to go down now that kids are back to school.
All and all I would do it again and maybe will if I can get the incentives again (I am due for a roof and a Tesla one would look nice!)

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
My family is all grown up and except for the occasional visit its just my wife and I inside a 1900 square foot rambler built with efficiency in mind.
We will be totally self sufficient including rain water collection.
Never want to rely on the grid again.
After this last freak storm we had in Texas it just reaffirmed this goal.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag

I'm looking at replacing my roof soon too and the Solar roof is just too enticing to ignore. My rates are based on hydroelectric and wind, but I still would like to have the solar with a power wall set up.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
This is not passed yet, so it's still just the 26% instead of the 30% if it passes.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
We got panels installed last year after I ordered the Cybertruck. Love having them.

Not enough to fully offset our bill, but maybe 70%. I’ll know for sure in August. We basically didn’t have a bill from July-October. My estimate is that it will pay for itself, including interest in 11-12 years. After that we have 13 more years of free power and net metering in warranty.

My state LOVES coal. We even have license plates about it. It’s crazy. So I can’t wait to get this green beast on the road and when people around here inevitably call me a hypocrite I’ll point at my roof line.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I'm in Canada so the Green Act is irrelevant, but I do plan to go solar as soon as I can. We bought an old industrial/retail building and have renovated it. We now have 3 income units, my wife's studio and a loft apartment for our family. It's an L-shaped block building with a parking lot where the building isn't. My plan when we have enough of the initial loan paid off is to in-fill the "L" to fill the whole lot, and build up, creating indoor parking, two extra townhouse rentals and a rooftop party room for us with a deck and green roof elsewhere. The resulting design would have 4 peaks instead of the current flat roof, and my plan is to use Tesla Solar Glass for the roofing. Each peak would be 45 degrees with one side having full south exposure. Previously we switched the building from oil heat to heat pumps. That work saved us 2/3rds of our annual heating costs, but it's still an expensive property to operate. With solar I'm hoping to offset most of the remaining energy consumption, and I'll also be able to drive my CT guilt-free.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I'm in Canada so the Green Act is irrelevant, but I do plan to go solar as soon as I can. We bought an old industrial/retail building and have renovated it. We now have 3 income units, my wife's studio and a loft apartment for our family. It's an L-shaped block building with a parking lot where the building isn't. My plan when we have enough of the initial loan paid off is to in-fill the "L" to fill the whole lot, and build up, creating indoor parking, two extra townhouse rentals and a rooftop party room for us with a deck and green roof elsewhere. The resulting design would have 4 peaks instead of the current flat roof, and my plan is to use Tesla Solar Glass for the roofing. Each peak would be 45 degrees with one side having full south exposure. Previously we switched the building from oil heat to heat pumps. That work saved us 2/3rds of our annual heating costs, but it's still an expensive property to operate. With solar I'm hoping to offset most of the remaining energy consumption, and I'll also be able to drive my CT guilt-free.
I am also in Canada, so this Green Act is irrelevant to me too. Though there is a home energy efficiency rebate we'll be applying for. We are in the process of getting solar for our house now. In fact, the lead contractor on the install was here this morning to fly a drone over the house for photos and take some snapshots of the electrical panel and meter.
We are just going with add-on panels not the roof tiles, I considered Tesla, but it would be too long a wait to get them out here to do the job. If we ever decide to add battery backup to it Tesla's powerwall would be a top consideration, assuming that the battery constraints are less and they start selling the powerwalls separate from a solar install again.
Sponsored