Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have to cast doubt on this. This is most likely a 6000 ton press for the model Y.

Reason i say that is, IDRA just posted the video a few weeks ago that they had secured an order for the 8000 ton unit, It is highly unlikely they could have designed, tested, built and shipped that unit by now to the USA from Italy. This large of a unit would most likely go by cargo ship then trucked tot he location.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have to cast doubt on this. This is most likely a 6000 ton press for the model Y.

Reason i say that is, IDRA just posted the video a few weeks ago that they had secured an order for the 8000 ton unit, It is highly unlikely they could have designed, tested, built and shipped that unit by now to the USA from Italy. This large of a unit would most likely go by cargo ship then trucked tot he location.
Those are all good points, but we have seen a 6K-ton casting machine delivered and assembled. Joe and others are right that these are, without question, larger, and they appear to have the same shapes as their smaller cousins, so we will see. They certainly have to hang out for a while because the footings they created aren’t large enough for this beast.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

To add to this point above, Only the Model Y casting area has been built. They have just started the Geopiers for the Cybertruck casting area. If it is a 8000 ton press then it will be outdoors for at least a month.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
If this is true, that means IDRA started building this long before they said they landed the contract.

Frankly, I am perfectly fine with any shady Italian deals if it means earlier production.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
If this is true, that means IDRA started building this long before they said they landed the contract.

Frankly, I am perfectly fine with any shady Italian deals if it means earlier production.

wouldn't surprise me, we've been hearing about the 8,000 ton press for months now, I'm sure they were building it well before that youtube video from IDRA came out a few weeks ago. I'm not saying I'm 100% sold that those drone images are of the 8T press, but it's certainly possible

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
What if the GM at IDRA's Italian/English translation was off and when he said that they "received" their first order of the 8000 ton Giga Press. What he really ment to say that they just completed "building" the first order of the 8000 ton Giga Press. That would line up with 3 weeks later arriving in TX.

Oh I love to speculate..........