HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Ford has been spewing hot air about an electric F150 for 5+ years and they're no closer to it..... the Hummer isn't even a truck.
Actually, at the 2008 SEMA show is where Ford unveiled their electric F-150. That was 13 years ago!
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What I primarily like about the F150 lightning is the bi-directional power flow capability. I see this is why Transport Evolved (News) wants one - as they don't want to spend money on Storage Batteries for their home solar PV system. I'm afraid that Tesla may not allow for example a 17KW (?) bi-directional supply - as that may eat into the Powerwall sales... even if you can only currently buy PV's and PowerWalls as a package at the moment.
I really like this particular feature and I hope that Tesla allows a full bi-directional power flow.
Yes, I know that there is already some mains power sockets to power tools - etc.
During a power outage I want my truck to stay fully charged so I have maximum range and have the ability to make multiple trips. The longer the power outage lasts, the more range I might need. So I don't see the truck as being a good candidate to power the home.

Who wants to see the available range on their truck start trending towards zero when you have no idea how long the power will be out for?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
During a power outage I want my truck to stay fully charged so I have maximum range and have the ability to make multiple trips. The longer the power outage lasts, the more range I might need.
Well then, make sure to freeze instead of using gas in your generator - you might need it for your truck. ?

-Crissa

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
During a power outage I want my truck to stay fully charged so I have maximum range and have the ability to make multiple trips. The longer the power outage lasts, the more range I might need. So I don't see the truck as being a good candidate to power the home.

Who wants to see the available range on their truck start trending towards zero when you have no idea how long the power will be out for?
Not sure, well I am sure, I will not purchase an EV by itself. Currently in the design stages of a PV array 147% of current usage. Fuel for my EV by the sun only makes sense to me as the utility rates in the future are very much unknown. Not getting approval for the Generac by my utility company may have been a blessing in disguise. Now I apply that+$13k to my EV truck.. Solar by day and truck by night, that’ll keep me and the wife warm and comfortable.? Having the oversized Solar system will recharge the truck during the day as we really won’t be using much power from the truck at night. Now don’t none of ya’ll tell my utility company what I’m about to do.???

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I just read that Tesla vehicles purchased after 12/31/2019 are no longer eligible for the Federal tax credit of $7,500 but it appears as if the Ford will be? I believe the state of Colorado will honor both trucks and that credit can be applied towards the purchase of the vehicle.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
Yes, Tesla hit their 200K cap a long time ago. Ford has about 75K in tax credits left but most if not all will be gone by the time the Lightning reaches customer hands. The MachE should swallow up those 75K by then.

How does Colorado do the credits? Income tax rebate? Or straight rebate. TX has a EV credit too but Telsa's don't qualify because they don't sell through a "dealer network". The Texas dealer lobby is very strong. I am hoping with the Tesla factory in Austin that the legislature will get rid of that loop hole but I am not holding my breath.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I just read that Tesla vehicles purchased after 12/31/2019 are no longer eligible for the Federal tax credit of $7,500 but it appears as if the Ford will be? I believe the state of Colorado will honor both trucks and that credit can be applied towards the purchase of the vehicle.
GM is also out of Federal credits.
Tight now new EV s from China brands with no U.S. factories get U.S. Federal credits but U.S. based brands like GM & Tesla don't.

The Biden admin is trying to get credits re-instated for GM & Tesla by end of this year.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, Tesla hit their 200K cap a long time ago. Ford has about 75K in tax credits left but most if not all will be gone by the time the Lightning reaches customer hands. The MachE should swallow up those 75K by then.

How does Colorado do the credits? Income tax rebate? Or straight rebate. TX has a EV credit too but Telsa's don't qualify because they don't sell through a "dealer network". The Texas dealer lobby is very strong. I am hoping with the Tesla factory in Austin that the legislature will get rid of that loop hole but I am not holding my breath.
Colorado Tax Credits
  • $2,500 credit received with state income tax refund – may be applied at purchase with many electric vehicle manufacturers

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well then, make sure to freeze instead of using gas in your generator - you might need it for your truck. ?

-Crissa
I wasn't suggesting freezing, I was suggesting a dedicated home energy storage solution is preferred over one that may or may not be there when you need it. A stationary energy pack can also be used to make a profit by arbitraging energy price variations throughout the day. This is going to become big business over the next decade.

In the winter a vehicle battery might be able to heat vehicle cabin for three days but, where I live, it's not going to heat my home for a significant amount of time. I use a 90% efficient catalytic woodstove to heat during winter. It has a modest 2.1 cu. ft. firebox. Let's compare the amount of heat in firewood vs. a battery that has 100 kWh of available energy (25% more than a Model 3 LR total battery capacity).

A cord of firewood is 128 cu. ft. and has 25 million BTU's.
A cu. ft. of firewood has 195,313 BTU's
100 kWh equals 341,214 BTU's
Electrical conversion from DC (battery energy) to AC to run a heater is 90% efficient so I only get 90 kWh of AC electrical energy or 307,092 BTU's of heat energy.

One load of firewood will contain 390,626 BTU's x 90% efficient = 351,563 BTU's of heating.
One 100 kWh battery will provide only 307,092 BTU's of heating energy, less than one load of firewood. Even if I use a super efficient heat pump that has a winter heating COP of 4.0, 3 loads of firewood provide more heat than the entire battery!

So, no, I don't think I'll be freezing during a power outage! If you want to heat your home with electricity during a power outage for any length of time, you are going to need a lot more than one EV can provide. Remember, it also has to run the refrigerator/freezer, lights, and whatever other electric devices you depend upon.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We bought both of our Model 3's when the Tesla tax credit was still in force in 2018 but it saved us exactly $0 because we didn't have enough earnings that year to qualify.

Not everyone can take advantage of the full $7,500 tax credit and some people get zero benefit.

Even people who can use the tax credit are often better served buying the vehicle without the credit because it might offer more than $7,500 in additional value compared to a vehicle that is still eligible for the tax credit.