Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
https://www.avclub.com/what-delicious-dishes-could-elon-musk-s-upcoming-tesla-1847027000

Joe’s Diner meets Elon! This is gonna be one mother of disruption.
Have some lighthearted foodie fun while you get supercharged! One item on the menu should be:
LIGHTNING FRIES
The best part about it? Dinner's free!
As Elon famously said a couple of years ago, if you're on the road and have to stop for a recharge, plan it round a meal. Take your wife to dinner, it's free. Because instead of spending $100 to fill the tank, you'll only spend about $10 for a recharge.
When Cybertruck comes home, I'll have a home charger set up for it, so most charging is going to happen here. But on the occasion we head out of town, it's nice to know we can plan a recharge around a nice meal that also takes a bite out of big oil. Makes the meal even more satisfying.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
One of the thing i love about superchargers, even without a current Tesla myself, is how so many of them are located in areas that I would already park for a while. I see them at malls, near restaurants, and at hotels. If Tesla gets into the restaurant game, they're going one step further towards making most supercharger stops to be minimally boring. That's not even mentioning the Tesla arcade that you have in a Tesla itself.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Problem is that the average recharge takes 20 - 40 minutes. By the time you get organized and into the restaurant and ordered probably 15 minutes has gone by. The charge will end in the middle of your repast and you will have to get up and go move the car to avoid idle fees. The solution in this case would be an employee who moves your car for you when it is finished. Wonder if they will do something like that.

Or better yet: valet charging. You drive up to the front of the diner, a valet takes your car off and charges it. When you are ready to leave, check the app to see if he car is finished. If it is go back to the front door and give the kid your ticket. He goes and gets your car. Tip if so moved.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Problem is that the average recharge takes 20 - 40 minutes. By the time you get organized and into the restaurant and ordered probably 15 minutes has gone by. The charge will end in the middle of your repast and you will have to get up and go move the car to avoid idle fees. The solution in this case would be an employee who moves your car for you when it is finished. Wonder if they will do something like that.

Or better yet: valet charging. You drive up to the front of the diner, a valet takes your car off and charges it. When you are ready to leave, check the app to see if he car is finished. If it is go back to the front door and give the kid your ticket. He goes and gets your car. Tip if so moved.
Just summon it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This lets them choose lower power urban Superchargers. That way they can have more stalls. Pick the fast one if you're getting to go, the slower one if you're dining in. Tesla has put out shared capacity stalls before, too.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I suppose it's possible that summon might be working by then.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

That's an excellent point and hopefully Tesla will be able to address it in some way for areas where they are specifically putting infrastructure for people to do things while they charge. There are a few ways they could handle this without requiring something like a valet or you running out to move your car in the middle of the meal.

The easiest method in my mind would be to put a maximum time before idle fees start at these locations. the locations they have described at supposed to have tons of chargers, so if they were to put a 1 hour maximum then you would have time to eat at a diner style restaurant before needing to move your car.

another way would be to have different chargers. not everyone that comes in are going to be at 15% battery and needing to fully charger before quickly heading back out onto the road. Tesla could have their supercharging stations and then add in slower chargers in other spaces. If you are planning on staying for a couple hours and taking your time to eat your meal and do other stuff, that would be a pretty good option.

Finally, it would be a little more complicated, but maybe they could have a ticket slot in the charger or have an app base scanner where you could scan a ticket from the diner or your receipt. Your app already knows when you started and then if you have something from the diner to scan, it would know when you finished your meal. obviously there would still be time limits since that could be easily abused if there wasn't.

It'll be interesting to see what Tesla decides to implement for this but it is pretty obvious that someone wouldn't want to start charging their Cybertruck, have just enough time to go in, order their food, wait for it and then probably near the middle of their meal, have to run out to move their vehicle.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
These things are very expensive and, as with everything else electric, the station has to be designed for peak demand - not average. That's one of the big challenges with the charging network. Most of the time most of the stalls sit idle but at time of peak demand you need to get a car that is finished charging out of the stall ASAP to make it available for the next guy. The only way I can see to do this with the current level of technology is to have someone move it when it is finished. That's why they have idle fees (which are turned off when the station is less than half full). You don't want that someone to be you. I've done it enough times to know that with certainty. Thus it seems an attendant will be required, at least during peak hours. Obviously his minimum tasks are to get your car out of the stall, park it somewhere and communicate to you (could be done through the app) where he took it so you can find it. Augmenting this to full valet means that you don't find it. He brings it to you at the door.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how Tesla handles this.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
In the details of the filing they stated " self-service restaurant services ". Reading that my mind went to a vending machine type setup. Which would work well for the less busy superchargers and follows with the robots and automation mentality associated with Tesla. Plus the benefit of being able to be open 24-7.

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
So this is why there will be no more radar or lumbar support.....hmmmm

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Hello all? it’s been a long while, but all is good. Our son started back at work today after a long bout with a very aggressive cancer and my God if only I could of shared the excitement in his eyes with all of you and not to mention the tears of joy my wife and I were holding back because it was amazing, just an amazing feeling of happiness ?. Chemo is no FN joke for anyone! Better times ahead son! We love you Kiddo very much! Hope your having a wonderful day.

Now, back to what my son and I have been enjoying talking about during his chemo for over a year. Hunting, fishing, Cybertruck and of course, anything remotely technological ?.

ajdelange, crissa, would it be possible to have CT or any Tesla vehicle “couple to” or “link to” robo snake charger when arriving to restaurant?

Tesla Cybertruck Elon’s Diner for Superchargers? 1623106128821

This could increase speed and efficiency and when CT or other Tesla model is done charging, snake will “uncouple” without assistance and then, like some manufactures use autonomous robots to deliver parts to station to station , could it be possible to autonomously, take CT to a numbered parking stall ?‍♂? Seems very possible. Might be some way to manage this musical car dance. Right? I’m no software dude or math guy.

Im ready for your tough love.?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Well yes but those are in my opinion, er, rather obscene. Seriously though the problem with them is that they get their charge from on board batteries which means they have to spend more time in their charging dock than they can spend servicing (see what I mean) cars. This is because batteries can be discharged faster than they can charge. This was being experimented with over a year ago (for taxis somewhere in Europe). So possible? Yes. Probable? No, IMO.

Ramojarocho

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 09 C300 4matic, 98 Chevy 1500
Occupation
Automotive Industry Muth Mirror Systems
Country flag

How about the Tesla sneak charger we have seen on videos? if they add that, then once it is all done charging the car can go and park itself somewhere to avoid idle overcharges. and you don't have to worry and you can enjoy your dinner!
Sponsored