Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Occupation
lawyer
Country flag
Can there possibly be any advantage to purchasing the least popular and last delivered base-level single motor cybrtrk model?
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's cheaper

Other than that, the only other advantage I could see is the speed of a resale in the future. You obviously still wouldn't get as much as any other trim but it would be a lot more affordable so if you ever decide to upgrade to a different vehicle, it would be easier to find a private buyer.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Based on my needs, the one motor fills all I need. Why did I order the two motor? Want for speed and not need.
Why did I not order the three? Price tempered my want, I’m a cheapskate, also at the time the tri would not start production until a year later.

Then the tri and Single priority switched, I have not made a change since the duo will more than meet my needs but may switch to tri closer to production if I can launder 20k into a price and lie to myself on the justification. 610 mile range, don’t care if real, is currently working, 2.9 scratches a want, not a need.

If switching to a tri delays my place in line, sticking with duo.

As to the original question, I am a firm believer if it meets the need, the level is the correct choice. (Ignore want unless it does not affect your means)

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It's cheaper

Other than that, the only other advantage I could see is the speed of a resale in the future. You obviously still wouldn't get as much as any other trim but it would be a lot more affordable so if you ever decide to upgrade to a different vehicle, it would be easier to find a private buyer.
Lower insurance due to replacement value. Less maintenance due to fewer moving parts. Less damage from your teenage son beating the heck out of your truck proving off road capabilities and doing drag racing muscle cars.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Drifting. RWD are more fun to get squirrely in.
Never know... Might get drift mode in CT3, maybe even CT2
Drifting would be very hard to do in any Tesla. Tesla has instant torque due to the electric motors so if it was easy to drift, people would be spinning tires all the time if they put their foot down too hard. Even if you turn traction control off, this still wouldn't allow someone to properly drift. I read that to drift in a Tesla you have to turn off the OTA data link and then ABS fuse. That's pretty similar to my Cadillac, when my tires needed replacing I unplugged an ABS sensor to turn my AWD to RWD and turn off traction control.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Drifting would be very hard to do in any Tesla. Tesla has instant torque due to the electric motors so if it was easy to drift, people would be spinning tires all the time if they put their foot down too hard. Even if you turn traction control off, this still wouldn't allow someone to properly drift. I read that to drift in a Tesla you have to turn off the OTA data link and then ABS fuse. That's pretty similar to my Cadillac, when my tires needed replacing I unplugged an ABS sensor to turn my AWD to RWD and turn off traction control.
We need drifter mode..... to do this on the touch screen

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
$1600 plus to replace tires, it can be an expensive option

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Can there possibly be any advantage to purchasing the least popular and last delivered base-level single motor cybrtrk model?
RWD CT is the deal of the century. I would not hesitate living on the Atlantic side driving N-S. RWD would be my choice. You are paying $10’s of 1000’s dollars for the luxury to blow past a Supercharger if you buy-up.

RWD is awesome and the least expensive Cybertruck. At the end of the day the star of the show will be Cyber not truck. RWD is a no compromise Cyber-first choice. Its still CT just not cells to the rails Kw’s and 4 wheels driving all-the-time. I think that is a good thing, less wear and no tear.

It leaves the wallet with money to spend on options to go with such a new toy.
<Repost>
Latest statistics show ~110 mi range is what Americans in the North drive on average daily.

RWD will be cheaper to modify and easier. What do you have to lose?
Brag Rights for range.
Brag Rights for off road 4x4, but not by much!
Brag Rights to paying $55—80k

I like RWD CT. Best deal I think. There is so much more you can do with it. But I’m def. a corner case.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
RWD CT is the deal of the century. I would not hesitate living on the Atlantic side driving N-S. RWD would be my choice. You are paying $10’s of 1000’s dollars for the luxury to blow past a Supercharger if you buy-up.

RWD is awesome and the least expensive Cybertruck. At the end of the day the star of the show will be Cyber not truck. RWD is a no compromise Cyber-first choice. Its still CT just not cells to the rails Kw’s and 4 wheels driving all-the-time. I think that is a good thing, less wear and no tear.

It leaves the wallet with money to spend on options to go with such a new toy.
<Repost>
Latest statistics show ~110 mi range is what Americans in the North drive on average daily.

RWD will be cheaper to modify and easier. What do you have to lose?
Brag Rights for range.
Brag Rights for off road 4x4, but not by much!
Brag Rights to paying $55—80k

I like RWD CT. Best deal I think. There is so much more you can do with it. But I’m def. a corner case.
The single motor is a good deal and affordable for a lot of people but I wouldn't consider the higher trims to be just something for slightly better offroading and going past a supercharger.

If someone actually plans on using it as a work truck they might need the increased towing, or anyone that plans to have a huge camper. Even if you don't need the max towing capacity, you might need additional range for towing a lot.

As for range, it's not always just about going past a supercharger but maybe people don't want to use a Supercharger. While superchargers are nice, you aren't really supposed to use them unless you are on a roadtrip and need a lot more range very quickly. if someone is commuting a lot for work, 500 miles might just allow them to commute all week for work, charging what they can overnight, without ever needing a supercharger and then top it up over the weekend.
Also with range, 250 miles is a lot of range but it might not be good enough if you plan to go camping for a weekend between the drive up there, using the camping package to do a little cooking and then the drive back. If there isn't a nearby charging station, you might have to conserve as much battery as possible.
I wouldn't look too much about average driving and more about what's the most you'll need in one trip where there isn't a supercharger.

Also sure the dual/tri motor variants will be better offroading but I think range has a lot to do with that as well. just like camping, you don't want to drive out to a place where you like to offroad and do your offroading while worrying about battery percentage.

If someone doesn't have a big commute, doesn't go far away from the city for camping, doesn't do extended offroading, and isn't planning on towing all that much or all that often, than I would definitely recommend the single motor if they want to save some money.

Oh and another thing that also has to do with range, winter. If you live in Canada and only have 250 miles of range, you aren't going to be getting that much when the temperatures drop under -30C. I've got a friend that only lives about 160 miles away and if i start at 80%, I probably would have to charge on the way there, then again when i'm there for driving around, then again on the way back. With 500 miles, I drive there and plug in when we aren't out and then I may need to change on my way back if i didn't charge much while i was there.

I will be getting the tri-motor and I will be very happy when I am out camping with friends and I can make myself some delicious meals on the camping stove with the Tesla. As much as I love cooking over a stove, it would be nice to have some easy eggs for breakfast even while camping