Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm sure something like this has probably been discussed already, but I believe it might be a good idea to illuminate the Tesla logo badge (frond and back) with a blue LED to alert other drivers that the car they are passing or being passed by is under driver assist or auto pilot control. Seems to me it would be a good idea for all auto pilot or driver assisted vehicles and maybe make the NTSB happy? Just an idea good or bad.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I've thought for the last 10 years, all cars should have a blue illumination of some type to notify drivers behind, the car in front of them has cruise control set. Then everybody could just set their cruise and go. What go me started on this kick is driving around Southern California at times it feels like there are traffic signals on the freeway. Everything can slow down to a complete stop and then moments later everyone is back up to the speed limit, only to drive up on red lights ahead a few miles down the road.:eek:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would think that would just be an invitation for other drivers to mess with you and try to get the FSD to automatically brake, swerve, etc. People will get brave/stupid if they know the other car is smart enough to not hit them.
That's kind of what I was thinking. There is no real safety value to this information and no real value to the driver so why would you do it?

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
This makes me wonder if Tesla vehicles communicate between each other regarding fsd status and planned routes. This way they can form a convoy of sorts and route around each other efficiently.

Maybe in the future when all cars are Tesla after the franchise wars of 2026.

Have a joy joy day!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Passenger sized cars are too small to safely draft off each other on our uncontrolled infrastructure. You'd need to follow way too close for safety.

If you could eliminate non-controlled cars from the mix, it could work, but not with mixed traffic.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Passenger sized cars are too small to safely draft off each other on our uncontrolled infrastructure. You'd need to follow way too close for safety.

If you could eliminate non-controlled cars from the mix, it could work, but not with mixed traffic.
Implied convoy would be a group of CTs and would guarantee we would part traffic in a manner to make Moses blush.

OP
OP

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I would think that would just be an invitation for other drivers to mess with you and try to get the FSD to automatically brake, swerve, etc. People will get brave/stupid if they know the other car is smart enough to not hit them.
Well maybe cameras can record dysfunctional drivers to report them

OP
OP

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
That's kind of what I was thinking. There is no real safety value to this information and no real value to the driver so why would you do it?
If I were driving past a known driver assistance vehicle engaged I would be extra aleart until I passed them or they went past me. That’s the only time it would be relevant
Sponsored