Camera based Side Mirrors - What's the user experience? Updates to the CT Interior with additional screens?

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, I couldn't find the previous image. So I went and did a screen grab from Ben Sullins video shot at the reveal night. Look at the size of the rearview monitor in the center of the windshield to give you a sense of scale. It sure looks like Tesla is planning to put a monitor on that huge pillar to me. When this was shown on this forum last year, some people thought this was an audio speaker. It just looks like an obvious choice of where to have a monitor for the side mirror.

sidemirror.jpg
So this is a different picture for sure but it’s showing the exact same spot I was talking about. Seems like a very logical location if it were, right?

However an earlier comment got me thinking, with FSD and just the Tesla driving screen which shows surroundings all the time, I don’t know if you’ll really look to the right or the left, except to double check visually over your shoulders …
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So this is a different picture for sure but it’s showing the exact same spot I was talking about. Seems like a very logical location if it were, right?

However an earlier comment got me thinking, with FSD and just the Tesla driving screen which shows surroundings all the time, I don’t know if you’ll really look to the right or the left, except to double check visually over your shoulders …
As I tell my 24 yr. old son, this is all speculation at this time. As for FSD, it's a long way from being able to drive itself without us humans monitoring/babysitting. Also, it's an option. A lot of people will not see a need to pay Tesla to drive their car for them. So there will be a need for us humans to be able to see what's going on around, and behind our vehicles for many years.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As I tell my 24 yr. old son, this is all speculation at this time. As for FSD, it's a long way from being able to drive itself without us humans monitoring/babysitting. Also, it's an option. A lot of people will not see a need to pay Tesla to drive their car for them. So there will be a need for us humans to be able to see what's going on around, and behind our vehicles for many years.
Yes and it’s my understanding that that functionality is standard. (The whole displaying surrounding cars etc)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
On the one hand, I suspect people are going to fall in love with FSD quickly. I don’t have have FSD, but just with autopilot, it is super nice not having to worry about the mundane aspects of driving is hugely relaxing.

That said, we’ll still need to control the car and intercede for many years to come. FSD might get us 95% of the way there, but there are going to be situations where you just need to use your gray matter or even give up on certain destinations. FSD can’t make choices like that.
Sponsored