Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla finally confirms Cybertruck electric pickup is delayed to 2022

Fred Lambert
- Aug. 7th 2021 2:16 pm PT

@FredericLambert

TESLA TESLA CYBERTRUCK

Tesla has now finally confirmed that the Cybertruck electric pickup truck is delayed to 2022 after months of hinting at the possible delay in reaching production.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck back in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021.

Over the last year, with the timeline coming closer, there have been signs that the Cybertruck could be delayed.

First off, Tesla only recently completed the engineering design of the electric pickup truck.

CEO Elon Musk also warned that Tesla is going to have some challenges in bringing the Cybertruck to production due to features, like the steel exoskeleton body that requires completely new manufacturing processes.

Despite those concerns and the “end of 2021” timeline coming closer, Tesla appeared reticent in confirming that Cybertruck production has been delayed.

During the release of its Q2 2021 financial results last month, Tesla kept the same timeline and only specified that Cybertruck production would start at Gigafactory Texas after Model Y:

“We are also making progress on the industrialization of Cybertruck, which is currently planned for Austin production subsequent to Model Y.“

Model Y production is supposed to start at Gigafactory Texas by the end of the year so it doesn’t eliminate the possibility that Cybertruck production could start this year, but it made the timeline unlikely.

However, a few weeks later, Tesla has confirmed that the Cybertruck has been delayed to 2022.

On the order page, Tesla updated the footnotes to confirm that the configurator will be available when “production nears in 2022”:

Tesla Cybertruck CYBERTRUCK DELAY: HOW TESLA'S BIGGEST PROBLEM IS INDUSTRY-WIDE Tesla-Cybertruck-2022-delay

The note is the same for all three variants of the Cybertruck despite Tesla previously saying that the two higher-end variants, Dual Motor and Tri-Motor, will come first.

Tesla has no other mention of a timeline for the Cybertruck on its website.

There’s currently a race to bring the first electric pickup to market in the US. Tesla was never seen as the most likely contender to be first to market, but this delay won’t help either.

However, it’s not the only one experiencing delays.

Rivian recently delayed the production of its R1T electric pickup truck from July to September.

Lordstown is also having issues bringing its electric pickup to market. GM is expected to deliver the Hummer EV in the US by the end of the year and Ford is launching the F150 Lighting next year.

While the Cybertruck delay was expected, it will disappoint many as Tesla has reportedly accumulated over 1 million reservations for the Cybertruck.

https://electrek.co/2021/08/07/tesla-confirms-cybertruck-electric-pickup-delay-2022/
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That doesn't track.

Tesla broke ground a year ago this week and every sign suggests there will be Model Ys cranking out by the end of this year. That's 16 months (max) from breaking ground to production.

Even if Tesla had only started building out the facilities for the Cybertruck 3 month ago, they could hit that number... but Tesla has done much of the Cybertruck production line in parallel with the Model Y. It is way further down the line.

I fully expect Cybertruck will start production shortly after they work out the issues with manufacturing the 4680. Likely within a quarter.

If the 4680 battery goes sideways for 6 months... sure, Q3 2022 is possible. Otherwise it's pretty unlikely.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This has been a 2+ year wait from the start. For some people sounds like it's going to me closer to 3-4 years even. Even best case at this point it's 7-12 months out for me.

Once the gigapress is installed, we've seen a few beta production trucks, and seemingly most important, the 4680 is being produced. Then... then I'll get excited.

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
Semantics. '2021' to '2022' sounds bigger than 1, 2 or 3 months delay which is what it actually is, but it's just an unfortunate thing that delivery was scheduled for late 2021, rather than early 2022, where they might have had 6 or 12 months to get it done within 2022. But no matter, I'll wait. Amazing thing coming our way soon!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Tesla finally confirms Cybertruck electric pickup is delayed to 2022

Fred Lambert
- Aug. 7th 2021 2:16 pm PT

@FredericLambert

TESLA TESLA CYBERTRUCK

Tesla has now finally confirmed that the Cybertruck electric pickup truck is delayed to 2022 after months of hinting at the possible delay in reaching production.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck back in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021.

Over the last year, with the timeline coming closer, there have been signs that the Cybertruck could be delayed.

First off, Tesla only recently completed the engineering design of the electric pickup truck.

CEO Elon Musk also warned that Tesla is going to have some challenges in bringing the Cybertruck to production due to features, like the steel exoskeleton body that requires completely new manufacturing processes.

Despite those concerns and the “end of 2021” timeline coming closer, Tesla appeared reticent in confirming that Cybertruck production has been delayed.

During the release of its Q2 2021 financial results last month, Tesla kept the same timeline and only specified that Cybertruck production would start at Gigafactory Texas after Model Y:

Model Y production is supposed to start at Gigafactory Texas by the end of the year so it doesn’t eliminate the possibility that Cybertruck production could start this year, but it made the timeline unlikely.

However, a few weeks later, Tesla has confirmed that the Cybertruck has been delayed to 2022.

On the order page, Tesla updated the footnotes to confirm that the configurator will be available when “production nears in 2022”:

Tesla-Cybertruck-2022-delay.jpg

The note is the same for all three variants of the Cybertruck despite Tesla previously saying that the two higher-end variants, Dual Motor and Tri-Motor, will come first.

Tesla has no other mention of a timeline for the Cybertruck on its website.

There’s currently a race to bring the first electric pickup to market in the US. Tesla was never seen as the most likely contender to be first to market, but this delay won’t help either.

However, it’s not the only one experiencing delays.

Rivian recently delayed the production of its R1T electric pickup truck from July to September.

Lordstown is also having issues bringing its electric pickup to market. GM is expected to deliver the Hummer EV in the US by the end of the year and Ford is launching the F150 Lighting next year.

While the Cybertruck delay was expected, it will disappoint many as Tesla has reportedly accumulated over 1 million reservations for the Cybertruck.

https://electrek.co/2021/08/07/tesla-confirms-cybertruck-electric-pickup-delay-2022/
The truck I ordered in 2019 still says I can finalize as production nears. No date given. Just because new orders say 2022 doesn't mean that a production date for the first 1.5 million is delayed officially.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Semantics. '2021' to '2022' sounds bigger than 1, 2 or 3 months delay which is what it actually is, but it's just an unfortunate thing that delivery was scheduled for late 2021, rather than early 2022, where they might have had 6 or 12 months to get it done within 2022. But no matter, I'll wait. Amazing thing coming our way soon!
Everyone loves to harp on Tesla's delays.

This one delay has been announced and made news like 5 times now. So much so one rag say "Tesla delays Cybertruck AGAIN"... even though it's the date has never officially shifted prior to last week.

It's been pretty well known that the Cybertruck was unlikely this year for quite a while. Musk said "If we get lucky we'll get it out by year end" at one point back in January.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The truck I ordered in 2019 still says I can finalize as production nears. No date given. Just because new orders say 2022 doesn't mean that a production date for the first 1.5 million is delayed officially.
I love the optimism.

You are indeed correct. I think Musk made it pretty clear EOY is quite unlikely.

Deleted member 3316

A cell-starved Tesla is fighting to bring its most ambitious cars to life.

Specs mean little, however, if nobody can buy the car. A delay could send potential buyers looking elsewhere.

“My guess is that Ford will be delivering F-150 Lightnings in volume well before the Cybertruck,” Abuelsamid says.
The rivalry between Ford F-150 Lightning and the Tesla Cybertruck is going replicate the competition between the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3... sure the Ford might make it to production first; but the volume sold is going to be dwarfed by Tesla if for no other reason than production capacity.

I find it highly unlikely either manufacturer will be capable of meeting demand within the first few years of production.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Give Ford some slack, they are still trying to open the car doors with phones so they can deliver product.
Well that feature already broke and the dealers and OTA updates can't fix it... Ford trying to do software is kind of cute. I'd guess they probably bought 100 pieces from India and mashed them together.
Sponsored