Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Elon Musk updates Tesla Cybertruck delivery target, hints at novel features

BySimon Alvarez
Posted on September 3, 2021

It appears that the Tesla Cybertruck’s customer deliveries will indeed see some notable delays, but the wait for the all-electric pickup truck would likely be worth it. This was highlighted by Elon Musk during a recent all-hands meeting with the Tesla team, as per information shared by several individuals familiar with the topics discussed in the event.

The Tesla Cybertruck was initially intended to be released in late 2021, with volume production at Gigafactory Texas hitting its stride in 2022. Amidst the ongoing chip shortage and supply chain issues, however, it appeared that Tesla was meeting substantial challenges in ramping its all-electric pickup truck. These challenges were highlighted by brief updates and hints that the company posted on its official website, as well as some information mentioned during AI Day.

In early August, Tesla formally moved the Cybertruck’s estimated customer deliveries to 2022. This delay was practically reiterated during AI Day, when Elon Musk noted that Tesla’s next-generation Autopilot computer, HW 4.0, would likely make its debut with the Cybertruck in “about a year or so.” These, together with reports that Tesla’s 4680 production line is meeting some challenges, suggested that the Cybertruck’s deliveries may be moved back.

Citing individuals who were part of the all-hands meeting, EV Blog Electrek added that Elon Musk’s Cybertruck comments during the all-hands meeting were not all conservative. While the CEO admitted that the all-electric pickup truck would be delayed to late 2022 with volume production starting in 2023, Musk reportedly highlighted that the Cybertruck is a “special project” that almost seems like a “glitch in the Matrix,” as if the franchise’s main character, Neo, had a vehicle.

Musk’s comments during the all-hands meeting could easily be interpreted as the CEO hyping the all-electric pickup truck, but they do suggest that the Cybertruck would be a one-of-a-kind vehicle, even among Tesla standards. The Cybertruck, after all, would be loaded with a ton of new technology such as the company’s 4680 cells and HW 4.0 computer — but that’s not all. Tesla also aims to offer all of these innovations and more at a price point below the present cost of a base Tesla Model S.

That’s a tough endeavor, and one that would take everything that the company has learned over the past years as a producer of mass-market cars to accomplish. That being said, one has to admit that delaying the Cybertruck to late 2022 would result in competitors such as Rivian R1T, which is expected to start deliveries this month after a year’s worth of delays, and the Ford F-150 Lightning, which is expected to start its deliveries in early 2022, saturating the all-electric pickup truck market earlier. The Tesla Cybertruck would then have to demonstrate that it is really a cut above the rest when it enters the pickup truck market, especially as it would be following on the heels of two formidable, traditionally-designed competitors.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Here is where I think this article goes wrong:

That being said, one has to admit that delaying the Cybertruck to late 2022 would result in competitors such as Rivian R1T, which is expected to start deliveries this month after a year’s worth of delays, and the Ford F-150 Lightning, which is expected to start its deliveries in early 2022, saturating the all-electric pickup truck market earlier.
There is no way that Rivian or Ford (separately or even together) will come anywhere near "saturating the all-electric pickup truck market". Neither one of them has the plans or capabilities to produce anywhere near enough electric trucks to even dent the demand in this specific category. Currently, only Tesla has a way to make a serious dent in that demand. So even if it takes till 2024 to seriously dial in the CT factory line, there will still be hordes of demand left to fill. No worry on that front for Tesla.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Reading the article looking for the reference mentioned in the title as:

hints at novel features
The only thing on this front I can see is this:

Musk reportedly highlighted that the Cybertruck is a “special project” that almost seems like a “glitch in the Matrix,” as if the franchise’s main character, Neo, had a vehicle.
This I suppose could be thought of as a hint about novel features. I knew that Elon thought of the CT as a "special project" from the beginning. Seems like he is making the ideal vehicle for what he personally would like to drive. But looking just at the design, one could imagine the CT to be a "glitch in the Matrix". I don't really see where the idea of "novel features" comes into play here.

To be clear though, I am fully expecting that there are some serious novel features that we are yet to hear about. Given the delay, I'd love it if the CT could get the upgraded electrical system to 48V and faster charging than any other vehicle around. I would have had all-wheel steering on the list of novel features but Elon already told us the CT will have that. I wasn't thinking about the FSD hardware upgrade but Elon has now told us the CT would get the upgrade there. What else could there be? I have no idea. I mean, we have been seeing some patents (laser windshield cleaning, origami glass folding, etc). But I wonder if the extra delays will spur Elon to keep improving the CT till there are enough chips and batteries to start mass-producing the CT. Perhaps we haven't heard the final spec because the battery delays have provided an opportunity to make further improvements on the overall specs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There is no way that Rivian or Ford (separately or even together) will come anywhere near "saturating the all-electric pickup truck market". Neither one of them has the plans or capabilities to produce anywhere near enough electric trucks to even dent the demand in this specific category.
Spot on. Ford is targeting 15,000 trucks. No word on Rivian's production target or capabilities.

There are hundreds of thousands of pre-orders.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
We've all misinterpreted the headline of this article to mean "new" or "previously unknown" novel features.. but in fact the author meant "known" novel features. A typical case of click bait. ;)
The stupid thing about that is the hint. If they are talking about "known" features, why would there be a need for hinting? I'm not saying it isn't clickbait or that you got it wrong. Just that describing Elon's statement as a hint when he is talking about a vehicle that Elon himself has already provided amazing details on is just nonsensical.

And I fully admit that the hint word in the title is what made me read the article closer.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well Musk said it was a like a glitch in the Matrix.

It's pretty obvious how this is going to work if you've ever seen the movie.

First of all, you crawl into the cab of the truck and attach the Tesla Neural Link to the back of your neck and lower yourself into the vat of synthetic amniotic fluid. Hoses attach to your body and you drift off to sleep.

You are in an old house. There is a black cat... wait Deja Vu.

It's all coming clear now. "4680" is clearly Tesla's buzz word for "human is a battery".

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Here is where I think this article goes wrong:

There is no way that Rivian or Ford (separately or even together) will come anywhere near "saturating the all-electric pickup truck market". Neither one of them has the plans or capabilities to produce anywhere near enough electric trucks to even dent the demand in this specific category. Currently, only Tesla has a way to make a serious dent in that demand. So even if it takes till 2024 to seriously dial in the CT factory line, there will still be hordes of demand left to fill. No worry on that front for Tesla.
That was my very first thought while reading it too. That "saturation" will consist of a few dozen thousand trucks that were already accounted for through early reservations and would of never gone to customers interested in the Cybertruck or let alone undecided customers.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
FWIW, just delivering what was demoed and what is listed on the specs, would make this the most incredible truck on the market. They don't need more features to make the Cybertruck insanely good, they just need to deliver it as promised. The truck is already so jam packed with unique and cutting edge features that most people don't believe it will ship as Musk describes it.

It is either going to blow up the entire truck market when it launches or be the biggest disappointment ever for those who are taking Musk at his word.

I'm getting a little burned out on "It's even better than you think" at this point. If they want to tease more features, they should show them in the form of a beta truck and a launch date.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I hate to have to say it, but "novel features" is simply a distraction for the fact that the CT is going to be VERY late. And maybe even later than this. I don't distract so easily. It's very late, and in my mind, they don't have an exact date even now. Sad to say. peace

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
We've all misinterpreted the headline of this article to mean "new" or "previously unknown" novel features.. but in fact the author meant "known" novel features. A typical case of click bait. ;)
Could be worse. At least we didn't have listen to "Tesla Bruh" ramble on in hyper speech for 18 minutes without actually saying much about an equally misleading video title......:cool::devilish:

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
I generally like Alvarez' articles. I get the feeling from them that he is actually paying attention.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Could be worse. At least we didn't have listen to "Tesla Bruh" ramble on in hyper speech for 18 minutes without actually saying much about an equally misleading video title......:cool::devilish:
LOL

Tesla Bruh.

I had totally forgotten him. Is he still around? He hasn’t been on my YouTube suggestions for a long time. I don’t dare look him up though. The algorithm might start suggesting him again.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
LOL

Tesla Bruh.

I had totally forgotten him. Is he still around? He hasn’t been on my YouTube suggestions for a long time. I don’t dare look him up though. The algorithm might start suggesting him again.
Too late. You MENTIONED it here. The data aggregation algorithm has already done it's job. AND.... next time you're on FB, you'l be getting ads for anything with "Bruh" in its name....... :ROFLMAO: