If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Retirement is over-rated.
Reviews give Rivian accolades for car quality ride and comfort onroad with high clearance for getting your fix of head toss offroad. So better than a Jeep!

Glamping has arrived! Rivian has a year to get its flag planted and R1T may hit its sweetspot. A ton of purposes fit inside R1T pullout tunnel. It challenges Jeep, FORD, Chevy and RAM buyers to buy electric.

Cybertruck remains truck more than car in dimensions, power and specs against the likes of F-250, Powerwagon, Duramax and 6 passenger performance SUV buyers who might be electric buyers.

IF Tesla gets Cybertruck production wrong Rivian are on the ground with their answer.
Sponsored

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Would you take your CT there? Anything I spend more than $40K on will stay mostly on pavement. And I am not saying this because this scares the ….. out of me.

I’ve driven that very V Ditch in a Rubicon with a few mods, nothing special. We all did it a lot faster than that photo op and I don’t even remember using a ground guide for it. There are certainly 100s of other spots in Moab I’d fear to take a CT, but that isn’t one of them.

Edit: Pics, so you know it happened/know what I'm talking about...

Tesla Cybertruck If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go. 20160405_170337_Original
Tesla Cybertruck If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go. 20160407_170806_Original

Ăź

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Retirement is over-rated.
Believe me it is not. I have nothing against prostitution of your mind or body if you are enjoying it but if you curl up in the shower after work to get the stench out everyday, no BEV is worth it.

But if this ilttle video can push you to change over to Rivian than so be it. Just wait till CT comes out and kicks Rivian butt. Then is he going to sell his Rivian to jump back to CT? For me, I see this video as a demonstration of yet another truck that can successfully navigate this path. So in a single area of expertise, the Rivian is similarily capable as the CT will be. But if I compare the two trucks on a much wider spread of functionality and specs, Rivian just doesn't match up. Looking at the price and weight differences alone make the CT much more attractive to me for this kind of activity.
I don’t think CT can kick Rivian’s butt off road. A full size spare, 4 motors and smaller dimensions is an advantage. BUT agree with you in that for everything real people really do with their trucks on regular bases (except parking), CT does have the advantage. If CT was here today, it would be a clear choice. However if I do fork over $20K over what I was planning to for a Rivian, I won’t switch back to CT in 4 years at a big loss unless lack of service and bad charging end up being a total disaster. I likely run it to the ground first. If I get a lightening pro, there is a very good chance, I will switch back to CT2 or 3 depending on my need for range.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Pics, so you know it happened/know what I'm talking about...
Tesla Cybertruck If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go. 1632872351504

I have never done anything like this. You gotta explain this to me.

First, did you guys make this?
Did the guy in red get squashed?
Did the guys that took their Jeep for a walk had to pick up after it? Did that rope and those three guys hold the Jeep? Really?

My mind is totally blown by this image. On multiple levels.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I think they were doing Hell's Gate slow for the photo ops. Suspended tire always looks good in the PR materials.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’ve driven that very V Ditch in a Rubicon with a few mods, nothing special. We all did it a lot faster than that photo op and I don’t even remember using a ground guide for it. There are certainly 100s of other spots in Moab I’d fear to take a CT, but that isn’t one of them.

Ăź
I think the Rivian's driver didn't want to scratch the paint so they were hesitant.
1632872351504.jpeg

I have never done anything like this. You gotta explain this to me.

First, did you guys make this?
Did the guy in red get squashed?
Did the guys that took their Jeep for a walk had to pick up after it? Did that rope and those three guys hold the Jeep? Really?

My mind is totally blown by this image. On multiple levels.
Haven't done such a thing as this, but I have 2 thoughts about the rope/ cable.

My guess, it's for preventing the truck from tipping over side to side. They can't lift the truck, but they can apply enough force to stop it from teeter tottering.

It's not obvious from the photo, but I'm pretty sure the line is to the left of the guy in red not down the cliff face.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Exactly right. Line was used to keep the Jeep from tipping, not as an arrest. It worked. And the guide was totally safe, he knew where to stand to avoid getting squashed.

We defeated every obstacle placed in front of us. That was the idea, doing things you didn't think were possible. If you ever want to challenge your rig and yourself, Moab is the place to do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Exactly right. Line was used to keep the Jeep from tipping, not as an arrest. It worked. And the guide was totally safe, he knew where to stand to avoid getting squashed.

We defeated every obstacle placed in front of us. That was the idea, doing things you didn't think we're possible. If you ever want to challenge your rig and yourself, Moab is the place to do it.
Why do you think the Cybertruck wouldn't do well there?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wheelbase works against your ground clearance when dealing with those stones jutting into the path.

-Crissa
Yeah I was thinking something with a smaller wheelbase would be nice.

Need that Wolverine version.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Rivian vdeos are coming in fast and hard. Here's a few minutes with it (there's another, longer video) but this will really make you hungry:

I can't believe she got such a good scoop! I know, lots of other guys out there reporting on it now, but I think she really has a good professional without fangirling around it. She's always had respect for Rivian's ambitions, but I trust her first reactions. And if she says they have given a high bar, I believe it.

That means once Elon starts seeing these that he'll have to get the Beta Cybertrucks on screen, too! He's already so far ahead of Blue Origin so...

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I guess those trucks going to Colorado weren't actually going to customers after all, they were all press demo units.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I guess those trucks going to Colorado weren't actually going to customers after all, they were all press demo units.
Yup, that's what it looks like.

A reviewer mentioned his was not 100% production complete. Some stuff did not work.

So the question is how many really were delivered to customers?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yup, that's what it looks like.

A reviewer mentioned his was not 100% production complete. Some stuff did not work.

So the question is how many really were delivered to customers?
Evidence suggests exactly ONE.

Though I must say Rivian is likely to be filling up their pre-order books fast. These trucks are pretty impressive.