Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I tried finding the right angle to match the Toyota truck EV but it was too cold and windy to spend a lot of time on it. That said, my 2013 Tacoma double cab, TRD off-road model looks fairly close to the EV size. I have a 5-ft bed which almost disappears at this angle. Is the bed long enough? It depends on what you use it for and how upset people get in parking lots if it's much longer. Without any documentation on its actual size, if it's similar to the Tacoma size (older models not the new ones that are practically the size of Tundras from a couple years ago) I might be tempted. Of course the grill turned me off in a split second. I don't know why oversize grills are the new design feature on almost all cars. My Tacoma has a fairly small grill, just large enough for its use. All the grills, or even fronts of these cars, look terrible. Talk about a big flat front dam slowing the vehicle down. If it uses the previously announced bZ4X sled, I'm not that sure it would be strong enough to carry a typical truck load. The body also appears to be cut in half, like most truck bodies. This allows the front and back to twist making it difficult to have a roof rack that attaches to both parts. I'd rather have a more rigid body than a twisty one.

I'm not sure what's going on with Toyota announcing these EVs but I bet it has to do with fighting off stock holders and government regulations, including carbon credits.

Found more photos on their website but they are very low resolution. I found one with an almost side view of the EV truck. Looks about like the Tacoma with a 5 to 5.5-ft bed, maybe double cab. Probably used almost all the same body panels from the current Tacoma so they wouldn't have to change stamping presses. It needs a different frame for ground clearance and load weight. The bZ4X specs don't show a weight rating high enough even for the Tacoma. Definitely doesn't have ground clearance.

20211214_BEV_04_W480_H320.jpg
Oh nice! Thanks for this, that’s a better angle and you’re right, it’s a lot bigger than it appears compared to that other angle.
Sponsored

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
So you mean to tell me that 1 day after announcing that they are going to change direction, Toyota now has 15 electric vehicle models?

And yet the EV “leader” GM had to stop selling the 1 EV they were producing and now can’t even show us their planned EV truck beyond a blue outline.

1639530585082.jpeg
I f*cking love that people are lowkey dishing jabs at the “leader” in EVs. ??

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Legacy auto thinks you just need to slap a battery and electric motor into any design and boom you have a great EV. Meanwhile, Tesla is innovating on every aspect of the business and leaving everyone else in the dust. They also seem to think batteries can simply be ordered in any volume. How sad for them.

People say we are in the midst of an EV revolution... I say we are in a Tesla revolution, and all other EV makers are simply riding Tesla's coat tails.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
People say we are in the midst of an EV revolution... I say we are in a Tesla revolution, and all other EV makers are simply riding Tesla's coat tails.

Well, some of them are riding the coat tails, mostly yelling and screaming during the ride.

Some stepped on with one foot then slipped and fell.

Others never got on board and are just wandering around wondering where everyone else went.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I love competition.

I say bring it on!

So, when?
I was just thinking we were being a bit crass panning competition so hard.

We want them to join the party and succeed, but then they announce plans which are more-or-less just planning to fail from go.

Related story:

Back way before cell phones and digital cameras, one of my cousins worked a farm and they were moving equipment. They crossed a rail line and a piece of equipment popped loose and dragged across the track causing the rail to pop out of alignment.

They phoned the railroad and let them know about it, but the person who answered the phone thought it was a crank call and ignored it.

I feel like we are the silent observers here. Camped out with our lawn chairs where the rails are all screwed up and placing bets on whether they will be able to salvage anything from the wreckage. In 5-10 years the Toyota train is going to hit it. They heard the warnings but for all these years they thought Tesla was a prank call.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag

We want them to join the party and succeed, but then they announce plans which are more-or-less just planning to fail from go.

Related story:

Back way before cell phones and digital cameras, one of my cousins worked a farm and they were moving equipment. They crossed a rail line and a piece of equipment popped loose and dragged across the track causing the rail to pop out of alignment.

They phoned the railroad and let them know about it, but the person who answered the phone thought it was a crank call and ignored it.

I feel like we are the silent observers here. Camped out with our lawn chairs where the rails are all screwed up and placing bets on whether they will be able to salvage anything from the wreckage. In 5-10 years the Toyota train is going to hit it. They heard the warnings but for all these years they thought Tesla was a prank call.
Am familiar with the Japanese both as business partner, worked with and worked for. One thing for sure, you cannot dismiss them as bit players -- or pre-emptively declare them as losers.

Remember the electronic industry (Sony) and the auto (exactly, Toyota) and I think they are even ahead on robotics. Tesla install either a Japanese or South Korean tech assembly-line robotics.

ironic as the Japanese told this to themselves in World War II at Peal Harbor, the sleeping giant have been awaken.

But I'm placing my bets on Tesla and Ford, meanwhile..

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Related story:

Nice story

Toyota, GM, Ford, and rest of legacy auto OEMs got a warning when Tesla shipped Model S in 2012.

Now in 2021 they have nothing to match 2012 Model S. Right now it looks like by 2025 they still will not have produced any EVs as good as the 2012 Model S.

In 2012 Tesla proved the technology was already available and that is not required to wait for solid-state batteries or some other holy grails.

So dates they claim of needing to wait to 2030 & 2035 is ridiculous.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Am familiar with the Japanese both as business partner, worked with and worked for. One thing for sure, you cannot dismiss them as bit players -- or emptily declare them as losers.
No… my concern with them is their publicly stated plan is doomed to fail.

Maybe I’m a nutter… drank too much Kool Aid, but I’m convinced that by 2030, newly manufactured consumer ICE vehicles will be extremely uncommon. So when I hear a huge auto company say “30% of our business with be BEV by 2035”… what I hear is “We are planning to be 1/3 the size we currently are in 13 years.“

This transition is going to be rough, we have dozens of companies jockeying for a very limited supply of critical battery components. The companies which survive this are going to be the ones which go at this 100% and fight to secure as much of those limited supplies as they possibly can. Companies which go at this planning for a fraction of their production will not be able to change their minds later. The resources will have been gobbled up.

We’re at the base of an S Curve here. Every year a company delays, the adoption rate increases. This is not the sort of market that favors late movers.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Renders are like the ultimate budget version of a concept car. Great for PR, completely disconnected with any real functioning car.
this sounds too familiar....reminds me of the CyberTruck reveal....many changes

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Toyota will drag out this truck's release for YEARS and only build them in very limited numbers. No one who follows EV news believes anything that Toyota says anymore.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Toyota is one legacy automotive company that I will continue to own stocks in. They have such a high satisfaction rating whether it be the traditional ICE version or the EV version. People who own a Toyota are generally skeptical about owning a new unproven company such as Rivian. And no way will they own a vehicle from General Motors or Ford for their poor service reputation.
Sponsored