Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester Sport, M3 LR, MY LR, CT tri reserv
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great video on Tow charging a Tesla:
I knew where they were the instant the video started. (They drove right past my house)
It would have been interesting to see how much regen they would have by just turning around sooner (say 10 or 15%) so they could make it up the couple of short uphills.
They started out at over 6000' (near Robinson Flat).
That road is all downhill to Auburn 42 miles away at 1000' except for a couple very short uphills.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I knew where they were the instant the video started. (They drove right past my house)
It would have been interesting to see how much regen they would have by just turning around sooner (say 10 or 15%) so they could make it up the couple of short uphills.
They started out at over 6000' (near Robinson Flat).
That road is all downhill to Auburn 42 miles away at 1000' except for a couple very short uphills.
AHH, no wonder they didn't kill that hillbilly Camry. I was thinking they were in drive with the Tesla, why not push the accelerator a bit on the uphills, to make it easy on the tow vehicle. Then on the downhills, coast and get max regen.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Drawbacks:

No individual tire pressure measurement (9:06 to 9:47):

Hill descent control (9:48 to 10:28):

Camera system needs improvement (10:28 to 11:11):

Hill hold assist (11:11 to 12:16):

No locking differential (12:16 to 14:26):

Benefits:

No locking differential so nothing under the car to get damaged (14:26 to 14:58):

Approach and departure angles (14:58 to 15:10):

Doesn't feel dramatically heavy (15:10 to 15:30):

Surprisingly good tires (15:30 to 15:54):

When you are done rock crawling you can still race a Ferrari and win (15:54 to 16:29):

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Given Doug's enthusiasm for the Rivian, I am going to be really curious to see how he reviews the Cybertruck when it actually comes out.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
What?

It has 4 motors. There should be no differential at all.
Need to watch what he says about the topic. He is comparing the offroading behavior compared to ICE vehicle. In ICE the differential is used for a specific reason. In Rivian, the 4 wheel motors are an alternative approach but he is reacting to how that behavior plays out on the trail.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Need to watch what he says about the topic. He is comparing the offroading behavior compared to ICE vehicle. In ICE the differential is used for a specific reason. In Rivian, the 4 wheel motors are an alternative approach but he is reacting to how that behavior plays out on the trail.
Yeah, Iā€˜d just read the comment and hadnā€™t watched the video. I went back and watched it.

I think heā€™s trying to apply the wrong logic here. You donā€™t need a locking differential, just a smarter computer. If the 1 wheel is spinning freely and the other isnā€™t moving, shouldnā€™t it be applying power to the one on the ground? I know a locking differential applies power to both equally, but this should be smarter than that.

One of the things video doesnā€™t do a great job capturing is steepness so itā€™s really hard to say how tough this hill is. It sure looks like something my Subaru could conquer with a little care though.

Also, he says the truck doesnā€™t ā€œfeelā€ heavy, but the lack of traction is a direct result of that weight on a steep hill. It takes a lot more power to push that heavy truck up the hill then it does to push a Jeep up.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yeah, Iā€˜d just read the comment and hadnā€™t watched the video. I went back and watched it.

I think heā€™s trying to apply the wrong logic here. You donā€™t need a locking differential, just a smarter computer. If the 1 wheel is spinning freely and the other isnā€™t moving, shouldnā€™t it be applying power to the one on the ground? I know a locking differential applies power to both equally, but this should be smarter than that.

One of the things video doesnā€™t do a great job capturing is steepness so itā€™s really hard to say how tough this hill is. It sure looks like something my Subaru could conquer with a little care though.

Also, he says the truck doesnā€™t ā€œfeelā€ heavy, but the lack of traction is a direct result of that weight on a steep hill. It takes a lot more power to push that heavy truck up the hill then it does to push a Jeep up.
Watching the video I can see what he is talking about where 1 wheel is spinning without traction but the other with traction is not moving. Somewhere in the full video he mentions that going up the hill he is at full throttle going up the hill and the Rivian is deciding which wheels to spin or where to apply torque.

I was surprised at the extent to which the Rivian allowed no traction wheel spinning. Seems like a less than optimal solution. But I'm not an experienced off-roader. I'm hoping that the Cybertruck does much better on this exact front.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Watching the video I can see what he is talking about where 1 wheel is spinning without traction but the other with traction is not moving. Somewhere in the full video he mentions that going up the hill he is at full throttle going up the hill and the Rivian is deciding which wheels to spin or where to apply torque.

I was surprised at the extent to which the Rivian allowed no traction wheel spinning. Seems like a less than optimal solution. But I'm not an experienced off-roader. I'm hoping that the Cybertruck does much better on this exact front.
One of the big problems he had there was speed. He kept stopping on that little slope, if heā€™d maintained even a little speed most of that would have been a cakewalk. That isnā€™t Moab or Sedona, on that sort of terrain, momentum is your friend.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Given Doug's enthusiasm for the Rivian, I am going to be really curious to see how he reviews the Cybertruck when it actually comes out.
Oh, he'll probably find things that he praised in one be a detraction in the other with no rhyme or reason.

-Crissa
Sponsored