ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
We have to remember that the CT is not currently in production, so Tesla has not had any proven actuation of it's CT manufacturing costs yet, from suppliers, labor, production hell, and support ramp up as well, in addition to the early VIN growing pains and issues that might crop up. So Tesla hasn't had any reason the change the CT prices up to now which are just initial 'on paper' at this point anyway. Of course they'll honor all the initial reservations and offerings and those prices are of course contracted and already fixed. But once they get a 'feel' of manufacturing the CT with all the costs and data coming in, I would actually be surprised if they didn't change the price of the CT at some point. While we don't know when or if exactly that would be, I could see it happening at some point after some sustained production volume, maybe after they've been producing to a level of say, at least one or two thousand trucks per week. But really who knows, that level could be more, or less, and even so there might not be a price change at all for some time.

But comparing prices of models already in production, to price charts of something not yet in production, to me is like comparing apples to oranges, because price changes usually are based on manufacturing costs and other data as underlying factors.

I just hope their 'armor' glass performs at least as good as what happened in the reveal, as I'm really looking forward to that. Additionally, I hope their steps to mitigate rattles in the doors and window mechanisms would include some robust noise-vibration-harshness (NVH) measures and testing, to include running the truck intensely on large gravel and rough roads for extended periods of time, to determine the rattle susceptible parts. Does anyone remember the old commercials where they have cameras both inside and outside of a vehicle while driving on the cross-ties of railroad tracks, touting how effectively isolating their suspension was? Can't seem to find much footage of those at the moment, but I think it would also be a good test method to refine design and assembly methods to help make the CT mostly impervious to NVH.

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
We have to remember that the CT is not currently in production, so Tesla has not had any proven actuation of it's CT manufacturing costs yet, from suppliers, labor, production hell, and support ramp up as well, in addition to the early VIN growing pains and issues that might crop up. So Tesla hasn't had any reason the change the CT prices up to now which are just initial 'on paper' at this point anyway. Of course they'll honor all the initial reservations and offerings and those prices are of course contracted and already fixed. But once they get a 'feel' of manufacturing the CT with all the costs and data coming in, I would actually be surprised if they didn't change the price of the CT at some point. While we don't know when or if exactly that would be, I could see it happening at some point after some sustained production volume, maybe after they've been producing to a level of say, at least one or two thousand trucks per week. But really who knows, that level could be more, or less, and even so there might not be a price change at all for some time.

But comparing prices of models already in production, to price charts of something not yet in production, to me is like comparing apples to oranges, because price changes usually are based on manufacturing costs and other data as underlying factors.

I just hope their 'armor' glass performs at least as good as what happened in the reveal, as I'm really looking forward to that. Additionally, I hope their steps to mitigate rattles in the doors and window mechanisms would include some robust noise-vibration-harshness (NVH) measures and testing, to include running the truck intensely on large gravel and rough roads for extended periods of time, to determine the rattle susceptible parts. Does anyone remember the old commercials where they have cameras both inside and outside of a vehicle while driving on the cross-ties of railroad tracks, touting how effectively isolating their suspension was? Can't seem to find much footage of those at the moment, but I think it would also be a good test method to refine design and assembly methods to help make the CT mostly impervious to NVH.
This could be part of the reason for the delay. They don’t want to start producing one of their most materially costly vehicles when material costs are still struggling with the pandemic. I estimate probably about $250M a month right now in construction and material escalation is unbelievable right now. This morning I got a letter for an 80% increase in hollow metal door and frame cost. That’s almost a doubling in material cost. Probably some dumb shipping delay to the US.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
What if a company bought a large portion of the supply which drove the reduced available supply price up?

I just do not know the contractual prices Tesla or other manufacturers have in place. (If any)

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
What if a company bought a large portion of the supply which drove the reduced available supply price up?

I just do not know the contractual prices Tesla or other manufacturers have in place. (If any)
I would bet there is a lot of that in place, but with Teslas price increases over the last year, my guess is that they are exhausting those agreements already.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would bet there is a lot of that in place, but with Teslas price increases over the last year, my guess is that they are exhausting those agreements already.
Every one of those products which has seen price increases has a multi-month wait-list. The Model Y LR has a ~6 month wait list.

I don't think this has much to do with increases in costs. Tesla's profit margins have increased over the past few quarters. If costs were a big problem it would be the reverse. They are taking profits from people who are least price sensitive while they can. We won't even see the full impact of these most recent cost increases until 2Q 2022 earnings results come out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This could be part of the reason for the delay.
Unlikely, the 4680 is a sunk cost until production ramps up and is projected to be a net savings per kWh. So all these raised costs only emphasize needing the 4680 cells to be in mass production. And they aren't yet.

-Crissa

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Tesla has never charged people more than the pre-order cost. You are commingling ideas here. Tesla is raising the cost to new buyers on the Model S/3/X/Y, not changing the price underneath them.
There's always a first for something.

p.s. I respect your opinion but I disagree

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Tesla has never charged people more than the pre-order cost. You are commingling ideas here. Tesla is raising the cost to new buyers on the Model S/3/X/Y, not changing the price underneath them.
Elon is running a business not a ticket booth.

Demand inelasticity is driving Tesla vehicle pricing. Elon has a fiduciary responsibility to meet the market where the demand is. Those price increases bank into Tesla profitability.

Profitability is what enabled Tesla to payback its Shanghai loan 9 yrs early. Those price increases will drive lending on the next GIGAfactory to answer the demand for more vehicles.

Demand wanes / falls off, prices will comeback down to meet the market where the demand curve exists. Model S is the oldest in fleet yet shows no signs of being lackluster yet. But for certain shareholders can be assured Tesla has a plan as seen in Plaid.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Hopes and prayers that the price for the CT doesn't change...
Let's split up the duties. How about I'll hope and you pray.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon wants to make the Cybertruck smaller to fit in a carport. Why is this a problem? It’s not an issue with the best selling pickup truck in America, the F-150. Over a million are sold annually and fit perfectly in the garage. But, if your garage is small, then get the smaller Rivian pickup truck.

hwddog 2

First Name
gerrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck
Occupation
driver
Country flag
Per Teslarati: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-cheapest-price/

The Cybertruck is now the cheapest Tesla that customers could order today

Tesla tends to roll out price increases and decreases to its vehicle lineup on a rather frequent basis. Just recently, Tesla rolled out new price adjustments to the Model 3 and Model Y, which resulted in the Model 3 Standard Range Plus — the most affordable vehicle in the company’s currently available lineup — now starting at about $42,000 before incentives. This recent round of price increases also had another effect: it made the base Cybertruck the cheapest Tesla that could be ordered today.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk incited some strong reactions during the Cybertruck’s unveiling when he revealed that the massive all-electric pickup truck’s base variant, which uses one electric motor and an RWD configuration, would start at $39,990 before incentives. This was quite shocking considering the Cybertruck’s size, as well as Musk’s previous statement during an appearance at the Ride the Lightning podcast which pointed to the all-electric truck starting “well under $50,000.”

cybertruck-price-1024x513.jpg

Needless to say, very few could have predicted then that Elon Musk’s “well below $50,000” teaser meant that the Cybertruck would start at $39,990. At that price, the hulking steel pickup truck found itself at the same range as the base Model Y, which was announced with a starting price of $39,000. The Model Y Standard Range was briefly made available in the United States for $41,990 before it was discontinued, but it has since been released in China at a price of about $42,800.

Interestingly enough, Tesla’s price adjustments have now reached a point where even the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which has long been the company’s most affordable vehicle, is now more expensive than the Single-Motor Cybertruck. This meant that those who wish to make a reservation for Tesla’s current vehicle offerings would find the base Cybertruck as their most affordable option, for now at least.

And considering that Tesla has not updated the Cybertruck’s order page, it appears that the company does not see a need to adjust its all-electric pickup truck’s starting price just yet. That being said, Tesla’s terms and conditions in the Cybertruck’s Motor Vehicle Pre-Agreement do state that the final cost of the all-electric pickup truck may be subject to changes when the vehicle enters production. Placing orders for the Cybertruck would then lock in the cost of FSD, but not necessarily the $39,990 price for the pickup’s base variant.

Tesla would likely start the Cybertruck’s production with the vehicle’s more expensive trims, such as the Tri-Motor AWD and Dual-Motor AWD variants, which are priced at $69,990 and $49,990, respectively. The company is also evidently counting on some of its innovations to keep the Cybertruck’s cost as low as possible, such as the upcoming 4680 cells and structural battery packs. If Tesla’s 4680 cells remain delayed, however, or if the company is unable to master the Cybertruck’s megacasted parts, then it would not be a surprise if the pickup truck’s most affordable variants end up starting substantially above $39,990.
I am sure hope, that ELON doesn't let us down for those who order the single motor variants. because of the truck i got into tesla stock as will. nothing like a winner to put your cash down on. the day it was unveiled, I jump in and placed an order. He can't cancel it just because of the money. once they hit the ground this truck will shoot to the moon. and i want to be on the rocket when it takes off. A contract is a contract elon give us are trucks. If you want to make all the other auto maker cry build this truck .
Sponsored