Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
i'm in for the 4 motor plaid if the range stays around 500mi...if significantly less, would consider going down to the non plaid (4 motor) to keep range - towing is one of my use cases
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Dual Motor Long Range for me.
Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there with a lot of money that don’t need a truck but want the next coolest fastest toughest looking thing out there and there will be a market if there is a plaid model so they can get to 60 in 2.5 seconds in their truck. The rest of us just want a great Tesla truck that gets us from A to B efficiently and reliably. I personally am not planning on racing my truck.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Dual motor better NOT be RWD only. I want synchronized AWD on the dual motor. If Tesla can't design a powerful enough motor to drive two wheels on a heavy vehicle then they need to go with four, adequate (smaller) motors to power this mini-tank.

As many others have also said, I want extended range. Not just 300 miles but double that on my dual motor CT so I have half a chance to tow and/or carry things without having to charge every 100 miles. If Tesla gives me 300 towing miles, that's another story.
I really think as all these EV trucks with the intent of towing come to market we are going to see towable ran extending capabilities. I would almost opt for a smaller on board battery with the intent of getting a trailer with capacity to charge. Holy grail would be that the vehicle can run from a trailer battery like a reserve tank.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have no intention of racing my truck either.

Unless, there's a ford or other revving up next to me.

Then I want to kick ass.

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
Exactly! I'd rather have a 600+ range cybertruck than a 0-60 mph in under 2.9 sec. Would be nice to have that option to tweak it out on the fly. There must be a polling out there asking owners if they'd prefer speed or range. Happy New Years everyone!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The dual-motor will actually have all 4 motors installed, but every time you get in:

"Don't you want to activate quad motors?
Only $15,000
Y/N?"
In that case dual motor will be produced first.

Deleted member 12457

I really think as all these EV trucks with the intent of towing come to market we are going to see towable ran extending capabilities. I would almost opt for a smaller on board battery with the intent of getting a trailer with capacity to charge. Holy grail would be that the vehicle can run from a trailer battery like a reserve tank.
Too many issues outfitting a trailer with heavy batteries. It reduces the allowed load rating and you might as well have the batteries in the CT. I like the idea of a reserve battery but in a Jan 2020 article the lightest Tesla battery pack (Model 3) still weighed over 1000 lbs. This weight drops the trailer's allowed load weight because the GVWR just reduced the load by half a ton. Add the additional structural weight required to mount the battery and you're losing even more load capacity. Sure, Tesla (and others) could build an ultralight trailer but if you're carrying a heavy load of rocks, dirts, machinery, you need something that isn't only light but structurally strong.

Of course if you only want to carry a reserve battery pack, buy a used UHaul Sport trailer or something similar, and outfit it with batteries. I actually rented one of these a long time ago.

Tesla Cybertruck Rumored Cybertruck Configurations - Dual, Quad, and PLAID uhaultrailer_main

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Too many issues outfitting a trailer with heavy batteries. It reduces the allowed load rating and you might as well have the batteries in the CT. I like the idea of a reserve battery but in a Jan 2020 article the lightest Tesla battery pack (Model 3) still weighed over 1000 lbs. This weight drops the trailer's allowed load weight because the GVWR just reduced the load by half a ton. Add the additional structural weight required to mount the battery and you're losing even more load capacity. Sure, Tesla (and others) could build an ultralight trailer but if you're carrying a heavy load of rocks, dirts, machinery, you need something that isn't only light but structurally strong.
This sounds similar to the arguments made against the Tesla Semi.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Towing. Plaid, Quad, Granny low, I don't care about speed (as much). I'm all about the Hrsprs. Some of us will be using the CT as an actual work rig and prefer tow capacity over drag racing. Hopefully the tow rating will increase as well as acceleration? Can't decide on the name. Heart of Gold (HOG), Bistromath. I like Krikkit One. Anyone else have plates reserved?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there with a lot of money that don’t need a truck but want the next coolest fastest toughest looking thing out there and there will be a market if there is a plaid model so they can get to 60 in 2.5 seconds in their truck. The rest of us just want a great Tesla truck that gets us from A to B efficiently and reliably. I personally am not planning on racing my truck.
How many of you have driven a car or truck that can accelerate from 0-60 in 4 seconds or less? I test drove a Model X performance and stepped on it and the thought of having a truck that would be substantially faster is not something I look forward to. I would drive even more like a granny than I do with our Model 3. Yes, power for towing is a good thing but let’s find out (if it is even real) what a plaid CT means.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
How many of you have driven a car or truck that can accelerate from 0-60 in 4 seconds or less? I test drove a Model X performance and stepped on it and the thought of having a truck that would be substantially faster is not something I look forward to. I would drive even more like a granny than I do with our Model 3. Yes, power for towing is a good thing but let’s find out (if it is even real) what a plaid CT means.
I hoon my model 3 performance at every reasonably safe opportunity I get...truck is only .2 sec faster to 60 so identical for all practical purposes! Hope there's a performance mode that lowers it, stiffens the suspension, etc...also looking forward to 4ws donuts, etc - cant wait!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
"You can never be too rich, too thin, or have enough range."
- Marilyn Monroe

The CT will need extra range for those towing.
Sheez, the awesome Marylin Monroe's words are still as true today as when she spoke them over half a century ago.
We're not worthy!
Sponsored