jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
Agree with the comment above about trailer batteries being a bad idea, but not just for the weight penalty. Batteries are the most expensive part of an EV. It's wasteful and inefficient to put a battery pack large enough to make a difference in a trailer that sits around not doing anything most of the time. Also, it would be a pain to have to charge the TV and trailer. Far better to have a usable range in the TV and more accessible and speedy charging stations.

The lack of pull through SC stalls is as big of a problem as range, IMHO. But like most folks here, the 500 mile unladen/300 mile towing range is by far my #1 priority for CT.
Sponsored

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Plenty of pull through SCs being built out there... and most of the time you will be able to back a 'trailerless' CT into existing ones unless you live in a urban area where SCs are less prevalent (El Paso, for example...) and more heavily used. I know I am coming off as a fanboi in this thread, but I guess I just feel the need to balance all the negative.

Even during the Christmas "rush" weekend for free SC'ing, our longest wait coming back across the country was like 30 seconds.

SS

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
We can use 'Carry On Batteries' Like Airlines personal luggage, weight doesn't count ! Ha

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's no evidence (so far) that the Plaid and Quad are separate.

It would be incredibly wasteful to have a quad motor be software locked. Additional motors are a functional resistive drag on the drive train. It would greatly reduce the range (along with being heavy and expensive).

More motors need more batteries to produce more torque. And if you want an electric motor to pull more, the side-effect will be a super-fast 0-60. And the cost of motors is small compared to batteries.

Eventually maybe there will be other versions... Just make sure you convert your reservation into an order before Tesla cancels it.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

It would be incredibly wasteful to have a quad motor be software locked. Additional motors are a functional resistive drag on the drive train. It would greatly reduce the range (along with being heavy and expensive).

More motors need more batteries to produce more torque. And if you want an electric motor to pull more, the side-effect will be a super-fast 0-60. And the cost of motors is small compared to batteries.

Eventually maybe there will be other versions... Just make sure you convert your reservation into an order before Tesla cancels it.

-Crissa
when I can I will !!

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

-Crissa
Back when it was Tri- that was the top line, Elon said his vehicle will be a Plaid CT. When asked if that's the Tri, he said not entirely. I expect the Plaid will basically be the Quad, but with some tweaks for extra performance, like wheels, brakes, maybe the same 4 motors but tuned a bit more for output. Possibly with a larger battery, like the previously planned Model S Plaid+.

Curacars

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 626
Country flag
When I road trip, I drive at nights so all my little ones are passed out. The more I drive without any distraction, the further I will get before the monsters wake up. So for me, range is a big deal for that reason alone.
Charging doesn't make a lot of noise, so I think they would just keep sleeping anyway.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Charging doesn't make a lot of noise, so I think they would just keep sleeping anyway.
Correct, but time duration is time wasted waiting instead of driving. I'm not sure if the battery will be 150kw or 200kw (tri/quad). However, it may require v4 chargers to fully utilize the 4680. This will take at least a decade to get enough where I travel, as there are already v1 to v3 SC everywhere. Not much of an ROI to convert until better coverage is set up, assuming.

To drive and see in-laws it's 1000+ miles one way. Other family is 1800+ miles one way.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Tesla must also expand electric motor production BIG TIME with the Cybertruck in the wings. 1,000 Quad Cybertruck‘s are going to require 4,000 electric motors.

2022 is going to be a big year for Tesla with 2 new factories going online, Semi and Cybertruck production, 4680 battery cells, structural battery packs, etc.
Don't bet on Berlin yet. Politics & dirty tricks might prevent the opening of Giga Berlin!

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Agree with the comment above about trailer batteries being a bad idea, but not just for the weight penalty. Batteries are the most expensive part of an EV. It's wasteful and inefficient to put a battery pack large enough to make a difference in a trailer that sits around not doing anything most of the time. Also, it would be a pain to have to charge the TV and trailer. Far better to have a usable range in the TV and more accessible and speedy charging stations.

The lack of pull through SC stalls is as big of a problem as range, IMHO. But like most folks here, the 500 mile unladen/300 mile towing range is by far my #1 priority for CT.
The reason that I want the CyberTruck to be capable of tapping off additional range from the trailer is that my CyberTruck will be pulling my retirement RV. My RV will have batteries, be they a Battle Born™ lithium battery bank, or a Tesla PowerWall. If I'm hauling around those 48v Battle Born™ batteries, they'll be near useless to extend my towing range (aside from plugging my mobile wall connector into my RV's inverter during pit stops). I would much rather my RV's battery bank be recognizable by my CyberTruck's BMS to provide range extension, and by Tesla to allow for SuperCharging. This is why I think a PowerWall battery bank would be ideal.

The weak link in my plan is probably going to be because of the excessive length and limited size of the trailer battery to vehicle inverter connector. What would probably be needed is an 800 (?) volt PowerWall and a specialized inverter on the truck. But since Elon said the CyberTruck would be an "Insane Technology Bandwagon", I'm optimistic that my dream may become reality.

Trailer batteries are a good idea for anyone desiring to tow near the rated tow capability of the Tri (Quad)-Motor CyberTruck. An 7000 lb truck with 500 miles of range will only be able to tow a 14,000 lb trailer about 150 miles on a charge under the best of conditions because... physics! Loading that truck down with the batteries it would need to be able to reliably make it from SuperCharger to SuperCharger in the rural west (i.e. RV country) would deduct an unacceptable amount of the payload capacity of the tow vehicle. There isn't much need for 800 miles of range when unattached to your trailer. Moving that weight to the trailer means that only about 20-25% of the weight is transferred to the pin. Instead of counting against your payload allowance, most of it gets deducted from your CGVWR. Trailer weight is easier to manage.

Rick Shepherd

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WTF?
Country flag
Sawyer Merrit has indicated that Cybertruck will be available with the above 3 configuration options when interviewed by Dave Lee:

Despite being an outsider, Merrit has a lot of good sources of truth at Tesla and this is the first time I'm hearing strong evidence of the planned existence of a Cybertruck Plaid.

Who else is planning on upgrading to the CT Plaid version or die trying?
:D:ROFLMAO::love:?
Ya know, there's plenty of room for cold gas thrusters.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Too many issues outfitting a trailer with heavy batteries. It reduces the allowed load rating and you might as well have the batteries in the CT. I like the idea of a reserve battery but in a Jan 2020 article the lightest Tesla battery pack (Model 3) still weighed over 1000 lbs. This weight drops the trailer's allowed load weight because the GVWR just reduced the load by half a ton. Add the additional structural weight required to mount the battery and you're losing even more load capacity. Sure, Tesla (and others) could build an ultralight trailer but if you're carrying a heavy load of rocks, dirts, machinery, you need something that isn't only light but structurally strong.

Of course if you only want to carry a reserve battery pack, buy a used UHaul Sport trailer or something similar, and outfit it with batteries. I actually rented one of these a long time ago.

uhaultrailer_main.jpg
Reserve battery pack will be an Ecoflow Delta Pro Portable Power Station, mostly for the trailer & could charge de vehicle also!

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Sawyer Merrit has indicated that Cybertruck will be available with the above 3 configuration options when interviewed by Dave Lee:

Despite being an outsider, Merrit has a lot of good sources of truth at Tesla and this is the first time I'm hearing strong evidence of the planned existence of a Cybertruck Plaid.

Who else is planning on upgrading to the CT Plaid version or die trying?
:D:ROFLMAO::love:?
Honestly I think there may come a time when 0-60 times of sub 4 seconds will be outlawed.

Who needs a jackwad that launches his CyberTruck Plaid at a street light to blow away a Porsche next to him, and he loses control, veers into the Porsche and takes them both out and into oncoming traffic.

I can live with my CyberTruck "only" doing 0-60 in 5 seconds. LOL. My god, who needs more acceleration than that.....I will cause the boat I am towing to do a wheelie.
Sponsored