Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Hope your pencil is sharpest!

Cybertruck low CG(center of gravity) and the 4680 cell energy density provides cell pack arrangement to hug CL(centerline) enabling CE(center of effort) quite compact and quick handling. Exoskeleton stripping out frame mass means that the Cybertruck can put that 2500# energy mass to work holding down the frontend balancing its carry capacity.

IDK how much CT needs to resist aerodynamic lift under the vehicle and counterweight balance the vehicle fully loaded to maintain steering.
77B82EE0-F1B1-476D-B8EC-889B090AF376.jpeg

Surprised Tesla battery pack patent doesn’t convey cornerweight balance within the pack fore and aft. I expected there be weight bias to adjust with a configurable pack at its disposal.
I really don't think that structural pack will give them much flexibility in location. Actually it will give them less than the frame style cars. I really don't know how big that pack will be relative to the CT body. I imagine that it will span from casting to casting and to get the 200kWh that will be needed for the CT to get 500+ miles of range will probably be a double stack of batteries. That structural pack is a honeycomb type panel diaphragm. It needs to have relatively flat upper and lower plates to transfer loads without creating stress points so its unlikely that they will stack more towards the front of the vehicle to offset the vehicle load although they could stack packs outside the main structural diaphragm, but I doubt they will. I do agree that keeping the center of gravity low is essential on the CT more than other vehicles as those thick body panels are easily 3x the weight of typical body panels so they will tend to pull the CG higher. If the CT ends up with a double diaphragm due to the need to stack the structural packs. That is going to be one very rigid truck, which is great.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well.. currently the longest range model S and X is NOT the plaid version. Same goes for 3 and Y.. highest performance/most expensive model is not the most range.
But it is the model with the largest battery.

We might get a plaid/sport version of the Cybertruck, but for a truck, what makes it have a good 0-60 is the same thing that makes it good at carrying/towing heavy objects.

Seems pretty unlikely any prices would go down. Near zero chance.
At least, not until demand is met.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
At least, not until demand is met.
Tesla has a history of re-launching models later after demand drops. For example they added the Model Y SR back to the lineup in China.

They have a lot of levers to pull to keep vehicles moving out the door (and profits up)

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Does anyone think the Dual motor CT will become cheaper as well? or maintain the 50k price tag.. just curious other members thoughts on this.
It will go up. I would expect the dual to be $60k. Its main competition is the F150 lighting and the XLT (as announced today) will have a $55k base price and a $10k add to get it to 300 mile range which is where the dual motor is. So the F150 will be $65k to be sort of equivalent to the dual motor CT. Thus I think the dual CT will be $60k. There is no way its going to stay at the $50k benchmark. Inflation alone since that announcement is around 10% and that includes groceries. The materials for the stuff Elon is building are up closer to 30% despite his bulk discounts. I bet the anticipated profit margin was around 15%. Time has eaten their profit and its not coming back so they will have to increase the price. And it may be a couple years before they do the dual motor so who knows where the economy will be then. A lot of people on here say well what about the savings in paint or the origami easy to fabricate stainless exterior or the savings from the structural battery pack. No one knows yet how they compare, but one thing is for sure, at $50k they thought they would save in all those areas. Now all those areas have experienced cost escalation regardless. Just like all their other vehicles despite the fact that they are producing them faster and in larger qtys.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Here's my total guess at what we will see:

Dual Motor AWD: $49k, 320 miles range.
Quad Motor AWD: $69k, 300 miles range.
Quad Motor Plaid AWD: $99k, 550 miles range.

Plaid will be the only model available for the first 6 months to a year, with the others ramping up when production is ironed out.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag

Plaid will be the only model available for the first 6 months to a year, with the others ramping up when production is ironed out.
I hope you are right! I will jump on that dual motor if that is the case.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag

They haven’t started any other models with the plaid version so that would seem new if they did that. I think we will see the quad motor 500+ mile range around $80k to $85k.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Plaid generally has less range than the LR model because it's more focused on performance than range.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Does anyone think the Dual motor CT will become cheaper as well? or maintain the 50k price tag.. just curious other members thoughts on this.
Dual motorCT be Tesla bread and butter. Don’t expect Tesla has incentive to cut pricing on a 1M backorder for the dual. Tesla would up the range for the courtesy of waiting to butter-up owners rather than cutting its bread.

Quad motor gotta think halo priced. Tesla GM specs the Quad in a halo and alien variant the upgrade path isn’t an embarrassment of riches for people who have $$$$$$ but don’t want to be seen as too Austintacious in an alien Quad.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

if the only version available at first is 100k thats gonna suck.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Plaid generally has less range than the LR model because it's more focused on performance than range.
There has been one Plaid. There is no “generally”.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
They haven’t started any other models with the plaid version so that would seem new if they did that. I think we will see the quad motor 500+ mile range around $80k to $85k.
They started the new S with the Plaid. I could get a new Plaid next month, but would have to wait till summer for the LR.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Unless you have 100k.
Regardless of being able to afford it or not, I would never pay that much for a vehicle. At the end of the day vehicles are a horrible waste of money. A long lasting BEV pickup it just less of a waste of money than a comparable ICE model.

I could REALLY use a pickup, it being BEV makes it more justifiable in my mind. It being 100k does not. Good thing there will be more affordable versions. I just dont want to wait anymore.
Sponsored