FINALLY 2022 Tesla Model Y Getting 4680 Battery & Other Updates!

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
They are only delivering ~15 semis to Pepsi for testing.

For what it’s worth, becoming clear Tesla is going to crush the semi market also. The noise around the semi has been a lot quieter, but the pricing and efficiency are going absolutely that the semi market by storm. Short term routes are such an easy target. Lots of trucks just drive 10-50 mile trips multiple trips in a day. Those are easy picking. If they can get FSD working and approval to extend driver hours or go driverless, long haul routes will be even more lucrative.
There are also huge charging incentives currently and will likely become more. with solar etc. a lot of these trucking companies will be able to greatly greatly cut the cost to own and operate semis.
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
There are also huge charging incentives currently and will likely become more. with solar etc. a lot of these trucking companies will be able to greatly greatly cut the cost to own and operate semis.
Yeah, after watching a few trucker owner/operators videos on YouTube and the amount of time spent waiting for a spot to open, paperwork to process, and for the truck to be unloaded…

Plenty of time.

Also, given the massive roof space all of these warehouses have that are under utilized… solar installation makes sense.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
They are only delivering ~15 semis to Pepsi for testing.

For what it’s worth, becoming clear Tesla is going to crush the semi market also. The noise around the semi has been a lot quieter, but the pricing and efficiency are going absolutely that the semi market by storm. Short term routes are such an easy target. Lots of trucks just drive 10-50 mile trips multiple trips in a day. Those are easy picking. If they can get FSD working and approval to extend driver hours or go driverless, long haul routes will be even more lucrative.

I have a few family members who are drivers. One OTR, a few do day runs, and one is an owner-operator. They are all saying the same thing - that if the cost/efficiency from reveal is even half true, they expect the industry to shift that was as fast as they can make the vehicles. These guys first-and-foremost look at operating cost, and if that math swings the whole industry swings.

My cousin who is the O/O actually says it means he can pick jobs that require emissions offsets, and bid a premium because the shipper won't have to pay such a high offset. He mentioned that the number of "net zero" pickups appearing in the apps he uses is only increasing, and he'd have a significant leg up and can bill upwards of $5+/mile on those jobs if he can snag an electric semi.

That said, they are also all massively skeptical that it'll pan out as it should. That the cost will be high, or the efficiency will be low.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That said, they are also all massively skeptical that it'll pan out as it should. That the cost will be high, or the efficiency will be low.
Rightly so.

They would literally be betting their businesses and livelyhood.

Considering there are exactly 2 Megachargers in existence right now, it’s a big leap of faith to put an order in.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But… much like with the Supercharger and the Model S, I strongly suspect Tesla will push out plenty of Megachargers alongside their semi offering. I also suspect it will be like history repeating itself and Tesla will take the trucking industry by storm as well. As hydrogen trucks and other trucks get released and there are insufficient charging solutions and people will turn more and more to the only semi maker with a reliable network of chargers.

Building half a solution—a truck without a charging/ filling network—is not enough. Manufacturers need to provide a complete solution.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
But… much like with the Supercharger and the Model S, I strongly suspect Tesla will push out plenty of Megachargers alongside their semi offering. I also suspect it will be like history repeating itself and Tesla will take the trucking industry by storm as well. As hydrogen trucks and other trucks get released and there are insufficient charging solutions and people will turn more and more to the only semi maker with a reliable network of chargers.

Building half a solution—a truck without a charging/ filling network—is not enough. Manufacturers need to provide a complete solution.
Unlike when Tesla started the Supercharger network, where they had to fight to get any kind of decent locations, if I was running a truck stop, I would be calling Tesla weekly on how soon I could get a couple chargers installed.

I would not be removing Diesel pump yet, but I would beg for a couple of Megachargers.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Unlike when Tesla started the Supercharger network, where they had to fight to get any kind of decent locations, if I was running a truck stop, I would be calling Tesla weekly on how soon I could get a couple chargers installed.

I would not be removing Diesel pump yet, but I would beg for a couple of Megachargers.
I wonder if a Level 2 charger would be able to charge up a truck over 8 hours. Or perhaps from 50-60% up to 90%. Then so they could pull in, hit the Megacharger to get up to 60% or so, then top off overnight for a long day driving.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you assume a 1MW battery, as some are, then a standard level 2 Destination charging station can do 1% an hour.

But if you assume a more reasonable battery size, you can get 2% an hour. A basic Urban charger could do 8% an hour.

Too many assumptions to know at this point.

-Crissa
Sponsored