Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I have a small drone (DJI Spark). DO NOT underestimate the skill required to do that (even with the machines not moving) !!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
bob/lego/gamer

bob/lego/gamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota matrix
Country flag
I have a small drone (DJI Spark). DO NOT underestimate the skill required to do that (even with the machines not moving) !!!!!!!!!!
And the fact that's it most likely an fpv quad without flight stabilization which makes it even more impressive.(DJI software is amazing)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There are a host of flight controller software packages. DJI has only fairly recently come to the FPV scene with their first FPV model. Most of the other DJI copter products are essentially "flying tripods" for cameras. That is to say flying them is so automated and simple it's essentially just using the joysticks to place the camera in 3D space, if at any time you let go of the stocks it simply stays there using optical flow camera, ultrasound, gyro/acc/compass sensors and GPS. This is substantially different type of flying than "acro" mode on a fpv copter, let alone much more responsive and it works upside down too. This only uses gyro/acc sensors to control motor outputs to maintain control vectors from the user.

Quad racing is heaps of fun, and this was shot and flown well, even though it wasn't all in one shot and was edited.

I'm surprised how little people were on the assembly lines working, most seemed to be walking around.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Better get crack-a-lacking then… we’re relying on you for footage when the Cybertruck is close!!
Lol if you're that serious about gettimg footage I can send you a rasberry pi with 4G mobile phone adapter for your quad, or a whole drone for that matter, and I can fly it via the internet from here in Australia using Starlink or fibre with realtime HD FPV. Members of our UAV team often log in from UK, Canada and Switzerland when I fly here and control the evtol around our block while I play spotter. No reason why it won't work the other way around. If you have a compatible DJI drone I could just send a preprogrammed waypoint mission with POI.
:cool:

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am a FPV pilot and designer/builder. I have never done “cinematic” shots like this, but I appreciate how difficult it is to plan the path and make the flight while keeping nerves in check. I’ve got some pretty good flying skills but this was really ballsy, really good. The flight through the stamping machines and just above the corrosion dip electrified pit were jaw dropping for me.
The cameras these days all have stabilization or get it in post but still, like said above, this is no DJI. It is a professional grade built drone most likely flown in acro mode with all axis unlocked as most pilots do. DJI is more assisted in typical “horizon” or limit axis modes so you can’t pitch it too far by mistake. The pilot had some serious skills on the sticks.

Check out @SAVFPV on instagram if you’re interested

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am a FPV pilot and designer/builder. I have never done “cinematic” shots like this, but I appreciate how difficult it is to plan the path and make the flight while keeping nerves in check. I’ve got some pretty good flying skills but this was really ballsy, really good. The flight through the stamping machines and just above the corrosion dip electrified pit were jaw dropping for me.
The cameras these days all have stabilization or get it in post but still, like said above, this is no DJI. It is a professional grade built drone most likely flown in acro mode with all axis unlocked as most pilots do. DJI is more assisted in typical “horizon” or limit axis modes so you can’t pitch it too far by mistake. The pilot had some serious skills on the sticks.

The drone at the Berlin opening that Elon was “dancing” with maybe?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That reminds me wasn't there talk about a quadcopter for the CT on the ui patents somewhere? I wonder what we will get? I want a quadplane, tailsitter or pusher 5 prop quad that runs from 2170 or 4680 cells.

For camera I would take a Insta 360 X2 where you can change the horizon and framing in post (also one way to simulate the FPV flying in the video above) then I use something like DJI Occusync or better, plus 4G/5G data link. Punch a hole through the mobile NAT with Zerotier or route through a VPS, then have forward looking terrain mapping for off-road use. Even better would be to run your own picocell on a onbard SDR then use passive radar as well. All that can then route back via a McFlatface on the CT. Instant flying mobile internet tower service. Add a tether for longer coverage times.

One can dream....or make exactly that as an CT accessory! Who wants one? ;)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Is that bandaid I see on your finger a little run in with a armed quad with 6" props running 22 something cans that shouldn't have taken off? :p

Don't worry you're not the only one with battle scars from very angry quad props. I built a prop/motor test stand that liked tearing props off shafts and I learnt the hard way that high velocity prop shards and fingers don't mix well without turning very red in the process.

Our evtol quadplane uses 4x TMotor 2208 2450kV (using up to 2kW) pushing 5" but lifting 2.5kg of V-tail Talon plane with Pi CV package for SAR use. Once in forward flight it would do 100kmh for an hour from a single 4S 10Ah pack.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Tesla's are worth every penny after getting such a great perspective on the amount of work that goes into making these vehicles. My MYP can't come soon enough! Cybertruck one of the days/years.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

This kind of talk must stop immediately. I am already itching to make a custom carbon fiber large drone on my CNC machine.... JUST BECAUSE.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
This kind of talk must stop immediately. I am already itching to make a custom carbon fiber large drone on my CNC machine.... JUST BECAUSE.
Wheelbase?

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
Why is everyone talking about this drone footage as though it were flown by hand? It make MUCH more sense that the drone was programmed to fly as the assembly line moved. It could then loop back to the beginning and do the same shot again with the next car or panel piece.

It makes no sense that someone was performing drone-death defying acts of pilotage around the factory and the employees were more interested in talking to each other than watching the miracle in front of them. Much more likely this was the 45th time the drone had buzzed them that hour so they were no longer interested.

Those shots in the stamping machine MUST have been programmed, it would be extremely easy to hold the drone on a pole and mark that position in the course and specify when it will get there in relation to when the operation starts.
Sponsored

Last edited: