Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
There are no 35s that are actually 35", I've searched, and I've measured a bunch. My MT/Rs were 34.5 and the BFGs run ultra small at 34.2. A 315 is a functional equivalent of a 35. The 20" wheel sucks for off roading. I sure hope the truck can accept a 17, or at least down to 18. Tire cost skyrockets above 17, which is pretty cheap at $225 for a good off/on road tire.
Sponsored

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Not to wrench your dims, but I don’t think those are 35” tires? How do you read this.

864D06DD-CB49-48CC-AECC-A5C68E73B5A4.jpeg
If you run the tire calculator the tires are 34.88 inch diameter. Most 35 inch tires come out to be between 34.5-34.9 inches.

From the picture there is plenty of room in the wheel well so I’m hoping I can fit 37 inch tires with no modification, that would be so sick!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
"Garagable". *sigh* So, make a mini truck so we can all fit it in the garage. Right. No thanks.
Why make it longer when it doesn't have to be? You gain handling, better break-over angling, and less weight by shaving unneeded length while retaining excellent bed size. The goal is to make the CT better, not the same as other trucks.

There are no 35s that are actually 35", I've searched, and I've measured a bunch. My MT/Rs were 34.5 and the BFGs run ultra small at 34.2. A 315 is a functional equivalent of a 35. The 20" wheel sucks for off roading. I sure hope the truck can accept a 17, or at least down to 18. Tire cost skyrockets above 17, which is pretty cheap at $225 for a good off/on road tire.
No way it'll take smaller wheels than 20", the brakes are HUGE. the 20 inch wheels that are on it now clear the calipers by less than 1/2 an inch. 20's are fine if you fit 37s or 40s on them. My only concern for 37s are the weight gain over 35s. Coming from Jeeps, you can take a stock JKU and later - put 35s on with no issues, but if you step up to 37s and don't beef up steering components you'll wear out parts within 20k-40k.

I wonder if the baja animal CT will be the "Plaid" with 37s?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The JL/JT were fine with 37s stock. No idea if this will be. I want 35s, but that huge wheel is stupid.

There are other trucks with huge brakes and 17s. I had a 2500 diesel with 35x12.50-17.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just want it to fit 2 bikes under the vault cover and room for hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood (hanging out even with the end of the tailgate is fine).

Most likely that means I need that 78” bed and the vault to be reasonably tall at the front.

Aside from that, I don’t care a whole lot about size, I could get by with a smaller truck, but also don’t care one way or the other. If it needs to be giant to get my bikes inside and secure, I’ll take it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
My Gladiator can haul a bunch of full sheets with the gate in the half-lock position, and has slots for 2x4 supports on the bed side to keep them over the wheel wells neatly. I'm guess Tesla won't overlook such details.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My Gladiator can haul a bunch of full sheets with the gate in the half-lock position, and has slots for 2x4 supports on the bed side to keep them over the wheel wells neatly. I'm guess Tesla won't overlook such details.
I like the zero wheel well look. It’s something I liked about stepside trucks, looks good on the Cybertruck.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I just want it to fit 2 bikes under the vault cover and room for hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood (hanging out even with the end of the tailgate is fine).

Most likely that means I need that 78” bed and the vault to be reasonably tall at the front.

Aside from that, I don’t care a whole lot about size, I could get by with a smaller truck, but also don’t care one way or the other. If it needs to be giant to get my bikes inside and secure, I’ll take it.
I don't think you'll get the vault closed over the bike handlebars if the bikes are standing up. Might have to take the front wheels off to get it shut. What size bikes do you have?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another shot of the wheels/ brakes. Looks pretty tight in there. don’t think you are getting 17” wheels on this.

Tesla Cybertruck So, Let's Talk About Size Again... 1649438739119

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think you'll get the vault closed over the bike handlebars if the bikes are standing up. Might have to take the front wheels off to get it shut. What size bikes do you have?
Planning on laying them down. So I need just about bar width. A single bike should be easy, 2 maybe requires origami and wheels off.

Most of the time I’ll have them standing up with vault open or on a rack behind the truck, but for distance driving I don’t want the drag. The other big reason I want to be able to stash them is security. Bikes are a high theft item.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Planning on laying them down. So I need just about bar width. A single bike should be easy, 2 maybe requires origami and wheels off.

Most of the time I’ll have them standing up with vault open or on a rack behind the truck, but for distance driving I don’t want the drag. The other big reason I want to be able to stash them is security. Bikes are a high theft item.
You are good. Plenty of space for those bikes. Did you see how big that f'n truck is!!! My gawd! I'm in love!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Let alone they seem to be getting more expensive each time I look.

I ride a onroad recumbent trike...I like going fast and at 6'6 I produce a lot of drag on a normal bike that requires me bend over the bars, which in turn fatigues my wrists on longer rides. Recumbent solves all of that, its comfy like riding on a recliner so you can just concentrate on pedalling...and enjoying a much more comfortable view with minimal drag and less headwind because you are lower down. You should try one if you haven't yet. 🙂

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
The JL/JT were fine with 37s stock. No idea if this will be. I want 35s, but that huge wheel is stupid.

There are other trucks with huge brakes and 17s. I had a 2500 diesel with 35x12.50-17.
Yup- the JLs are factory set to take 37s, the older JKs had factory options for 35s that added suspension and steering components (so cheap they should have just made all of them that way and upped the price $500).

I'll say, 35s on 18s is a capable setup, and that's the same amount of sidewall as a set of 37s on 20s. That being said, my ideal is 35s on 17s (current setup). I'd like an inch or two less wheel as well, but all things considered, I'll take the 20s. No problem.

And, I'll bet my lunch that the CT will out brake/perform a Ram 2500; all day, everyday, and twice on Sundays.
Sponsored