Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's the great thing about Tesla, they make winter easier. Car put away hot and encased in ice? No problem:

Woke up one day and our car was completely frozen solid. Just a giant brick.

By the time I was ready to head in to work, it was melted. The scheduled timer had defrosted it.

Got inside the car. It was 80 degrees in the cabin. Absolutely bonkers. As soon as we started driving it cooled down pretty quickly.
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Woke up one day and our car was completely frozen solid. Just a giant brick.

By the time I was ready to head in to work, it was melted. The scheduled timer had defrosted it.

Got inside the car. It was 80 degrees in the cabin. Absolutely bonkers. As soon as we started driving it cooled down pretty quickly.
I mean whose gonna hate the ability to use your cell phone app to get that car defrosting and warm for you without having to go outside, start it up in the cold and get back inside.. or install a remote car starter? I will be looking forward to this one!

What kind of person hates that?! ;)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I know we are all starved for information, I sure as hell am, but come on....who would intentionally design a pickup truck door that wouldn't work in any pickup truck scenario?
Actually, Ford.

My 2010 F-150 Supercab (the one with rear suicide doors) has defective doors, driver and passenger side. You know how vehicle doors usually have three positions you can open them to:

1) Cracked open just enough to squeeze through. This is useful in a tight supermarket parking lot where you don't want your door resting on the adjacent car but need to squeeze in or out.

2) Open moderately. Useful when you have more room but not unlimited clearance.

3) Fully open.

Well, my F-150 has the first stop positioned so not even the skinniest crack addict could squeeze through without bumping the door to the next position which is going to leave a mark on the adjacent car. What is the point of this first door stop? There isn't one and the jump to the next door stop is HUGE.

The next stop is so wide it will always contact the adjacent car in a normal parking lot.

This sounds like a minor issue (and, indeed, we have learned to live with it) but it's actually more aggravating than you might think. How did this ever get out the factory door? Doesn't anyone test these things at Ford? Total idiocy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I really hope it's a "press" button so winter drivers can do it with gloves on. (Not a fingerprint sensor). I would be on with both, but simple "press" is what I want.
It's also a button on your phone, so who cares?

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’m not sure Musk tapping the button is even the best example.

The door clearly popped open on it’s own multiple times while they were moving around on the stage, Musk has said before it will open when you approach. We’ve seen this on the Model X already. We’ve also seen the Cybertruck on stage popping open as Franz and Musk moved around the stage. Most likely there is no button press most of the time and you just walk up to the truck and pull it open.

Franz clearly had the key so it was likely triggering off of Franz’s movements so Musk had to manually open it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I’m not sure Musk tapping the button is even the best example.

The door clearly popped open on it’s own multiple times while they were moving around on the stage, Musk has said before it will open when you approach. We’ve seen this on the Model X already. We’ve also seen the Cybertruck on stage popping open as Franz and Musk moved around the stage. Most likely there is no button press most of the time and you just walk up to the truck and pull it open.

Franz clearly had the key so it was likely triggering off of Franz’s movements so Musk had to manually open it.
Yes, there are multiple ways for it to open or present:
  • Button on door.
  • Button in app.
  • Keycard, phone, or fob on near-field door (to unlock).
  • Possibly thumprint or face-print.
  • And...Detect wave of hand to signal approaching or Detect approach of phone, fob, or keycard. (Which is what it did while they stood next to it.)

-Crissa

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Yeah this is pretty much identical to what's on the Model X already, they just didn't try to make the button look like a door handle.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's also a button on your phone, so who cares?

-Crissa
Phone does not work with gloves either. Auto open when you walk up is great but I hope there is a simple walk up (phone unlocks) and you (wipe snow off door seem so it doesn't fall into the cab) and then push the button to open.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Or sound..or lipread

"Open the door" "open the frunk" "open the tonneau" "open the charge port"

Come to think of it, it should eventually simply understand sentences

'backup a metre'

park the other way around

park nose first

lift or drop the back 2 inches ( when hitching)

and a million other things

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Which is why I would go the Lipread option.

If you're in a car park, you are approaching the car with hands full, rather than speak out ' open the back left'.. And let nearby people hear.. Which I hate... I would rather lip it.

There's only so many life variables. Apps can't handle all.
Open door on approach, open partially, open fully. Open full if I have groceries, unless I want to put them on the ground and take stuff out first.

But from 20 metres away., you can Lip 'open back left'. Magic

Until the Neuralink implant, lol
Sponsored