BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Anyone make out what type of utility track that is? It looks like a cross between a Nissan one and a modular lab track, so I'm worried it's proprietary.
Sponsored

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Sorry guys, there will only be a quadmotor....the new motors talked about on investor day are 30% smaller (as I predicted months ago) and are more efficient and powerful, and only cost $1000 per drivetrain axle. So there is no extra cost for a QM it's now cheaper than the dual motor in a MY.

Did no one watch Sandy's reaction or the investor day slides?

As for efficiency the CT is not in the same weight class as Semi, so clutching is not going to be as effective because of the gearing used. Smaller motors, also means less losses when spun, and less current to spin to coast.

How they are doing rare earth-"less" permanent magnet motors is an entirely other question.

As for the whole "extra motor=more power=more cost" fallacy, just consider for a moment the lack of complexity of an electric drivetrain compared to a ICE one, and the fact that electric is completely scalable in size, and also in cost. (How much do PC fans cost, and how much would a equivalent sized ICE cost? We'd never have PCs then!)

In Tesla's case they don't even use "rated power" motors to achieve their performance, rather they intentionally let them operate in short term "peak" mode and only thermally throttle them to prevent damage. In conventional industry nobody does that with electric motors, and is why Tesla can optimise their motors for normal driving and cruise at low power levels, but still have enough power for intermittent peak acceleration. (look at the mods they had to do for Plaid on the NĂĽrburgring) I can guarantee you, that off road in sand the CT will be constantly hitting the thermal limits of the motors if driven hard, and will not be able to maintain the same performance as it has for intermittent 0-60MPH launches. That together with the main benefit, being torque vectoring a QM is actually necessary.
You are, absolutely, 100%, dead wrong.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Jesus titty fucking christ you really are a POS
Hey now, that's what we get for holding our positions a bit too tightly.

I say this, being in exactly the opposite position in a different thread... Let's keep it all in good fun.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
You are, absolutely, 100%, dead wrong.
On which points and why?

A rumour you heard from someone, or from your own actual engineering competence?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Anyone make out what type of utility track that is? It looks like a cross between a Nissan one and a modular lab track, so I'm worried it's proprietary.
Talking about the L Track which is about 20” up and parallel to the floor of the vault?

That’s a standard which has been used for air cargo for a long time.

AlphaG

First Name
Dipan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S63, Elise, X
Country flag
A well designed and implemented quad motor system (like Rivian’s) is what I was hoping for. It is technically superior to 2 or 3 motor systems, and if designed well, could also be efficient. Of course that may not be important for everyone. I will probably wait for that.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
A well designed and implemented quad motor system (like Rivian’s) is what I was hoping for. It is technically superior to 2 or 3 motor systems, and if designed well, could also be efficient. Of course that may not be important for everyone. I will probably wait for that.

Is Rivian doing well? I've heard they were plagued with bugs and had many lemon law buy-backs via lawsuit.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Not sure, but even a complete failure of the company doesn’t detract from the technical merits of a quad motor setup.
They have more lemon lawsuits pending than any other manufacturer, a trait inherited from their shitty ford parent. Google it.

As far as the quad motor, everyone is hung up on it because of an Elon tweet. He also tweeted they should put cocaine back in coca cola. Will they put a quad motor in? Maybe, but I'll never understand why you guys are so hung up on quad motors. It's not needed. The tri-motor is for efficiency, to get the 500-mile range, and it STILL makes 1500hp, achieving sub 3 sec 0-60.

A fourth motor adds complexity, cost, and size, and hurts range.
It doesn't make any sense.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
On which points and why?

A rumour you heard from someone, or from your own actual engineering competence?
The Master Plan3 preso was talking about next-gen motors.
I interpreted it as they were lowering the cost to manufacture, which does not translate into what they sell it for. I have a friend that sells something he patented for $69 plus shipping, and his cost to manufacture is $8/unit. It doesn't mean that he can sell it for $8.

As far as the ad hominem, I don't really measure internet dicks but I am an engineer and have a friend who is a powertrain engineer for Tesla, here in Austin.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

I am highly skeptical that the quad motor will perform significantly better than a tri motor setup enough where anyone but the most top-level drivers will notice the difference.

I am not a top-level driver, none of us are.

To me, the big thing Rivian really crushes on is its suspension design. I think Tesla’s tri motor will be absolutely fine, but that Rivian suspension looks rad. He talks about it in the last 2 minutes of the video. I hope we get something comparable.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I am highly skeptical that the quad motor will perform significantly better than a tri motor setup enough where anyone but the most top-level drivers will notice the difference.

To me, the big thing Rivian really crushes on is its suspension design. I think Tesla’s tri motor will be absolutely fine, but that Rivian suspension looks rad. He talks about it in the last 2 minutes of the video. I hope we get something comparable.
It's not about performance.
The tri-motor has "allegedly" 1500 HP... FIFTEEN HUNDRED!!!!

The single legacy motor in the front is for range and efficiency.
They could have put 6 motors in the Semi, but chose the layout they did for a specific reason.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Will they put a quad motor in? Maybe, but I'll never understand why you guys are so hung up on quad motors.
Watch the video posted by AlphaG from "Engineering Explained". If you still cannot understand why 4 motors are better than 1,2 or 3, then you are right, you will probably never understand.

Will the quad motor be an option with the CT? We don't know. Do I want quad motor? yes. Why? because I am confident it will be significantly better in snow and ice conditions than 1, 2, or 3 motor.

AlphaG

First Name
Dipan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S63, Elise, X
Country flag

I completely agree with the hope for Rivian style suspension design, including absence of roll bars.
Sponsored